Apple announces iPhone 5s: Touch ID fingerprint security, 64-bit A7 CPU, new gold option coming Sept

Comments

• Reply 101 of 298
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowest Skil View Post

now 3%....

Mmm Samesong stocks is down 2.48% today without announcing anything does it mean they go bankrupt?

• Reply 102 of 298
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    rain wrote: »
    What have they 'innovated' with this phone?
    I don't see any physical innovation at all.

Faster chip, camera update, fingerprint security? Wouldn't call that 'innovation'.

The innovation is in the software.
    iOS 7 is the innovation... these phones are just vessels to make it sing.

5s is a bit faster... woooo
    I don't foresee people chucking their 5's over the Golden Gate Bridge for this hardware update.

It's not meant for current 5 owners. It's meant for 4S and older in addition to Android refugees.
    zoetmb wrote: »
    Wall Street is never impressed by Apple when it should be, but then the stock price rises when Apple does nothing.

Why should the stock be down? All the rumors were substantively correct and known way in advance. Yesterday's stock price should have had today's announcements already baked in.

WS will not even be happy if Apple sold 10 MM iPhones in its first weekend.
  • Reply 103 of 298

The iPhone 5C is not a cheap phone by any standard. How long can Apple go on pricing iPhones based on storage capacity... Will be getting a 5S upgrade from my 4S on contract hopefully :)

Unlocked iPhone prices from Apple HK Site (Non contract)

iPhone 5S 64GB $7188 HKD   = $926.98 USD

iPhone 5S 32GB $6388 HKD   = $823.81 USD

iPhone 5S 16GB $5588 HKD   = $720.64 USD

iPhone 5C 32GB $5588 HKD   = $720.64 USD

iPhone 5C 16GB $4688 HKD   = $604.57 USD

• Reply 104 of 298
    Is the black 5S now an aluminum toned back? It doesnt seem like the "slate" or blue-silver it used to be anymore! surprising apple didnt show more on that color change... unless there isnt one?
  • Reply 105 of 298
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I knew it wouldn't take long. Samsung and Google must pay well.

Let's see:

- Twice the CPU performance

- Twice the graphics performance

- First 64 bit phone

- Much better camera

- Fingerprint security

- New motion coprocessor

- Greater network coverage

- Same price as predecessor

And none of that counts for anything?

The Android and Samsung shills really get tiresome.

The really sad thing is how quickly Wall Street goes along. The stock was down about 0.7 before the announcement and is down about 1.7 now. Just what the heck did they expect?

You didn't list a single 'innovation'.

A faster chip is not 'innovation' - it's progress.

"Much better camera" is not innovation - not when competitors have better ones using the same method of programming.

Fingerprint Security - Apple didn't innovate this, they implemented it.

Same price as predecessor - innovation? lol

• Reply 106 of 298
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    In case anyone is wondering, the ring around the home button is gold on the champagne iPhone. Oh and the logo on the back is champagne too.
  • Reply 107 of 298

Why is 64-bit needed when there is only 1GB RAM (maybe a bit more in this new 5S)? Just to make code and die size bigger?

• Reply 108 of 298
    A couple of thoughts:

1) For all you fingerprint whorls out there... Will TouchID work with a stylus? No? Oops... Sorry Sammy!

2) Seriously, TouchID with its announced capability for iTunes purchases is a [B][I]major deal![/I][/B]

It is a totally [B][I]Apple self-contained[/I][/B] iWallet, cashless, creditcardless, "whatever", [B][I]way to buy things[/I][/B]. Apple can roll out additional "purchasing" services backed by TouchID and iTunes (and the 500 million credit cards on file). I suspect that within a few years, you'll be able to buy anything from a soda from a vending machine, groceries, to a new car...

Apple has a device and the infrastructure to do this, today... I don't see any competition for several years.

Not to mention that the same technology can be used to replace your keys, Key Cards, ID Cards, Pass Cards...
  • Reply 109 of 298
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    blueeddie wrote: »
    Is the black 5S now an aluminum toned back? It doesnt seem like the "slate" or blue-silver it used to be anymore! surprising apple didnt show more on that color change... unless there isnt one?

I'm going to assume Apple was having too many scuffing issues with the slate mode and decided to replace it with something that doesn't scuff as easily.
  • Reply 110 of 298
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

The main missing new feature for me is the fact that it has the same tiny screen. Why can't they make it in a 4.8"-5"?! Oh well, maybe next year.....

Just go big and get an LTE iPad mini. Solves that screen area problem once and for all. Cheaper service as well.

• Reply 111 of 298
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

I realize you just learned the word innovation and are trying to find its appropriate use by using it for every other word, but could you keep it down a little? The adults are trying to talk. Thanks.

improvement |im?pro?vm?nt|

noun

an example or instance of improving or being improved : an improvement in East–West relations.

• the action of improving or being improved : there's still room for improvement.

• a thing that makes something better or is better than something else

innovation |?in??v? sh ?n|

noun

the action or process of innovating.

• a new method, idea, product, etc.

Hey old timer - your insult called, it want's to come home.

• Reply 112 of 298
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    What the hell? Still 16GB starting for the 5S. I was expecting at least 32GB by now.

This doesn't bode well for the iPad getting a storage increase.
  • Reply 113 of 298
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

"Much better camera" is not innovation - not when competitors have better ones using the same method of programming.

But making the screen stupidly big is earth-shattering innovation, huh?

Care to detail Samsung's 'innovations'?

Got my popcorn ready!

• Reply 114 of 298
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Drop the fanboism... it's tired and old.

I know you get real real excited about anything new Apple... and I don't mean to spoil your Christmas... but I think your stretching the term 'innovation' a bit far in this case.

As far as being a shill for competitors... lmao

run along child... don't you have a line to stand in?

You should drop the iHates fanboism. 

Listening to you nothing is innovating enough.  Can you give me some examples of innovating product update from the competition? Base on your criteria I found none.  

• Reply 115 of 298
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm going to assume Apple was having too many scuffing issues with the slate mode and decided to replace it with something that doesn't scuff as easily.

So much for every fanbot on here saying people were imagining it in their head.
  • Reply 116 of 298
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

I am very underwhelmed.

Mostly because of the price points. Everything seems to be $100 too expensive. 

The 5C should have been 16GB for $0 on contract (or $399 off) and the 5S should have started at 32GB, not 16GB. 

And the 4S should have been axed. Are they at least updating it to Lightning?

Really, nobody cares what you think, especially Apple.

• Reply 117 of 298

To upgrade or not to upgrade? Hopefully the unlocked will be available same day as the others. So whose guessing for an event next month? Ipads, Ipods event? I was a little surprised that the new iphone 5 s doesn't have 802.11 ac wifi , but hopefully the macs will soon.

• Reply 118 of 298
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

So there is a gold finish version of the new iPhone tallest skill. The 64 bit A7 and OS capabilities are quite impressive.

I must admit the gold color is growing on me. I agree the white bands take a bit of getting used to.....

Is gold going to be Apple's new color? Gold MBA's anyone?

• Reply 119 of 298

The 5S for me is a mixed bag

on the plus side ... it supports more LTE bands and has a fingerprint sensor, and 64 bit

on the minus side ... No 128GB model, and no NFC

I feel the Fingerprint reader would have made the phone way better if they had also put in NFC

as it stands, I may get a 5S just to get LTE support here (UK),  the fingerprint reader being a novelty without apps that it can be used with

• Reply 120 of 298
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    jungmark wrote: »
    It's not meant for current 5 owners. It's meant for 4S and older in addition to Android refugees.
    WS will not even be happy if Apple sold 10 MM iPhones in its first weekend.

It will sell very well- there are many 4S customers out there.