Apple unveils new iPhone 5c in green, blue, red, yellow & white starting at $99, launching Sept. 20

1246789

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 168
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,050member

    $99 subsidized? That BS. No wonder they retires iPhone 5 because they won't be able to sell a single piece of color crappy phones at the same price. iPhone 5s upgraded? Well, if you like different color options and better camera, otherwise, you should stick with your iPhone 5. I guess many people are feeling stupid now for trading in their iPhone 5.

    Wait and see Apple shares going down in the next few months.

  • Reply 62 of 168
    This wouldn't be so bad if the new Nexus 5 won't have decent specs and an much lower price... I think Apple could have gone lower on it. However, they can always lower the price if it does not sell. It should be $400 without contract.
  • Reply 63 of 168
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mretondo View Post

     

    The 5C is a 5 in internally. I know my daughter is thrilled she is going to to be able to get a pink 5C instead of a white or black 5.


     

    Not entirely, the cell radio for one is different. That wider global compatibility is what probably nudged the 5 out, they wanted the first two tiers to both be as compatible as possible. Say for China Mobile etc.?

  • Reply 64 of 168

    I have no doubt that colored iPhones are going to be a success, especially in countries that sell iPhones with multi-year contract, but there are many countries where people simply want to buy off-contract. The strategy of keeping around older models has to go. Look, it happened with the iPod touch too; they kept the 4th gen in the line up when they introduced the 5th gen, but the 4th gen can't upgrade to iOS 7 -- see that strategy is really bad. And now they replaced that basic 4th gen with a 5th gen without a camera -- that's bad value. Apple has to add good value. iPad mini was good value in the iPad line-up. Keeping older version in iPod touch and iPhone line has to stop -- Apple has to create value throughout, even if the entry level is only 8GB -- what people buy always has to feel fresh, not like yesteryears. I mean, AppleTV is Apple at its best in value.

  • Reply 65 of 168
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

     

    $99 subsidized? That BS. No wonder they retires iPhone 5 because they won't be able to sell a single piece of color crappy phones at the same price. iPhone 5s upgraded? Well, if you like different color options and better camera, otherwise, you should stick with your iPhone 5. I guess many people are feeling stupid now for trading in their iPhone 5.

    Wait and see Apple shares going down in the next few months.


     

    People only one year into their 5 contract "trading in" would be stupid for a different reason than not appreciating the substantial changes in the 5s.

  • Reply 66 of 168
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,227member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by John Nugent View Post



    Unlocked 5C will be $550 and $650. Where are the savings? That's what the iPhone 5 would have cost as the middle tier. So this is just a margin-building exercise? Then why is stock tanking? How are China and India going to afford these "cheap" phone off contract?

     

    imo they need to introduce a cheaper model in China indeed.  For the US, selling the old 5 model in colors is a good move for the market it targets.

     

    For my its all bad choices because I want a contract free phone and a bigger screen. From the look of it I will be moving to Android to replace my 4s

  • Reply 67 of 168
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by joshuarayer View Post

     

     

    I was watching the Engadget live stream and the person reporting said it best about those cases, "It looks like I can play Connect 4 on it"


     

    Yeah, I can't believe people on here are complaining about the prices when the colours are terrible and will out of style within 6 months (well at least up until Easter).   Those Connect 4/5 cases are terrible as well.  As for the price, why did they even bother coming out with this when they simply could have slapped new colours on the 5 and sold it to kids for a reduced price?

  • Reply 68 of 168

    As I've (no pun intended) said before...

     

    This is Tim's year. If the 5C lands like a thud then there's going to be trouble at Apple.

     

    It damn near feels like a Performa moment to me.

     

    [the 5C is not the type of phone that people are expecting from Apple... unless it's much cheaper than announced]

  • Reply 69 of 168
    So, to recap, 0/10 from iFixit, better(?) telephony chip, and slightly better FaceTime camera.

    ...AND a better battery, AND larger screen pixels so brighter screen (not more pixels), AND faster wi-fi.

    AND to correct AI: The color is PINK according to Apple, not red.
  • Reply 70 of 168
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

    Very disappointed by the high price.

     

    This changes nothing about the price of Apple's phones internationally.

     

    Crud.

  • Reply 71 of 168
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Unlocked 5C will be $550 and $650. Where are the savings? That's what the iPhone 5 would have cost as the middle tier. So this is just a margin-building exercise? Then why is stock tanking? How are China and India going to afford these "cheap" phone off contract?

    The stock market is looking for increasing share not margins. And new products. The run up to this announcement assumed both. Cheaper iPhones. And a new device. We got the same strategy as last year except last years model ( the 5) looks cheaper. Because plastic looks cheaper. And no new device.

    Did they really plan for this or was the phone just too expansive to produce?
  • Reply 72 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zippy2shoes View Post

     

     

    Yeah, I can't believe people on here are complaining about the prices when the colours are terrible and will out of style within 6 months (well at least up until Easter).   Those Connect 4/5 cases are terrible as well.  As for the price, why did they even bother coming out with this when they simply could have slapped new colours on the 5 and sold it to kids for a reduced price?


     

    Kids care very little about the actual color (maybe more about faceplate color) but every kid I know that is "given" an iPhone is "required" to have a case. What matter the color of the phone if you're going to skin it. Kids also like to differentiate and there is a lot of pretty cool cases out there. Why would anyone case a 5C other than maybe to protect the screen. If you're going to get a 5C and case it then you would have been better off with an IP5, there is a gynormus selection of cases available for it. I doubt there will be as big a market/variety for 5C cases.

    China radio compatibiity is not very high on an American kids list of must have features.

  • Reply 73 of 168
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

     

     

    imo they need to introduce a cheaper model in China indeed.  For the US, selling the old 5 model in colors is a good move for the market it targets.

     

    For my its all bad choices because I want a contract free phone and a bigger screen. From the look of it I will be moving to Android to replace my 4s


     

    I hear you. Can't afford iPhone, don't want yesteryear's model. Every other Apple product you buy feels fresh after the refresh occurs. I mean MacBook Air, iMac, Mac mini; they don't keep yesteryear's models after the refresh. They have done away with it with the iPod touch. Sigh...

     

    Thing is, I don't want an Android; I have a crappy one and would love an Apple. I love my new MacBook Air even though it doesn't have IPS. I love my iPad mini. They present to me value compared to what you can buy from the competition. The 4S is not value. I will buy a cheap feature phone that can only make calls and do SMS and have great battery life. I will go pre-iPhone revolution and wait for the entry level iPhone 5C next year.

  • Reply 74 of 168
    As I've (no pun intended) said before...

    This is Tim's year. If the 5C lands like a thud then there's going to be trouble at Apple.

    It damn near feels like a Performa moment to me.

    The 5C is a winner, no IF about it. It has slightly superior specs to the iPhone 5, which was the leading selling iPhone Apple ever offered. PLUS, it comes with iWorks free.
  • Reply 75 of 168
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ealvarez View Post



    Disappointed by the price of the 5c. We don't want to be "stuck" with a 3-years contract (in Canada...). I'll forget about the idea of getting an iPhone as I don't expect Apple price policy to change. Unless I go with the 4s, but without contract it's costly for a 2 years old phone.



    I somewhat understand their logic to not "hurt" the 5S (very nice by the way), but I would have liked to have the feeling that Apple cares about people who don't have big needs. I suppose they think that the can go have an Android phone, what might happen for me (never thought I could think that). Well, in the end, disappointed.

     

    Canada doesn't have 3 year plans anymore. Just so you are kept up to date.

  • Reply 76 of 168

    So everyone was bitching about the thought of Apple releasing a "cheap" iPhone.

     

    Now everyone is bitching that it's not cheap enough.

     

    Nice to see nothing's changed.

     

    Whatever. Apple will sell a gazillion of these.

  • Reply 77 of 168

    iPhone 5c(hildren) $739 and $869 here in Australia. This phone is unapologetically aimed at the US market.

  • Reply 78 of 168

    Maybe if we all write Tim Cook that we want an entry level iPhone 5c instead of a 4s...? Remember when Apple lowered the price of the original iPhone with $200-$300? Come on... let's contact him... I think, Apple will treat 2013 as a transition year. iPod touch eventually has to go lower in price. iPod shuffle replaced with nano. iPhone 5c will eventually take the place of the current iPod touch in price point.

  • Reply 79 of 168
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    The 5C is a winner, no IF about it. It has slightly superior specs to the iPhone 5, which was the leading selling iPhone Apple ever offered. PLUS, it comes with iWorks free.

    Yawn. There was no reason to replace the 5 with a cheap plastic cover unless the phone was much cheaper than the 5 would have been. The 5 could have had iWork's for free.
  • Reply 80 of 168
    john f. wrote: »
    I hear you. Can't afford iPhone, don't want yesteryear's model. Every other Apple product you buy feels fresh after the refresh occurs. I mean MacBook Air, iMac, Mac mini; they don't keep yesteryear's models after the refresh. They have done away with it with the iPod touch. Sigh...

    Thing is, I don't want an Android; I have a crappy one and would love an Apple. I love my new MacBook Air even though it doesn't have IPS. I love my iPad mini. They present to me value compared to what you can buy from the competition. The 4S is not value. I will buy a cheap feature phone that can only make calls and do SMS and have great battery life. I will go pre-iPhone revolution and wait for the entry level iPhone 5C next year.

    Load the new iOS7 onto an iPhone 4S from eBay and Voilá, you will have an iPhone on the cheap!! What better value can you have??
Sign In or Register to comment.