Apple to offer iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c cases, Lightning docks at launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple is stepping back into the iPhone accessories market with iPhone cases, leather for the iPhone 5s and silicon for the iPhone 5c, and Lightning-ready docks for both devices.

Cases

With the iPhone 5c, Apple went with a silicon form-fitting design that sports a grid of holes on the back allowing for visibility of the phone's colorful plastic shell. Inside is a microfiber liner, while precision drilled holes align with the unit's speaker.

As the iPhone 5s is positioned as a premium handset, the company chose a leather case, the inside of which has a microfiber lining to keep the device protected from scratches. According to the Online Apple Store, a dye is infused into the leather, which is custom designed to cradle the iPhone's physical buttons and chamfered edge.

Cases

The iPhone 5c cases will be available in black, white, pink, yellow, blue and green for a price of $29. As for the iPhone 5s cases, those come in at $39 and will be offered in brown, beige, black, yellow, blue and (PRODUCT) RED.

Dock

Finally, Apple is releasing two new docks, one for the 5s and another for the 5c, which bring the usual charging, syncing and line-out seen in the company's previous products. Despite the emphasis on color, the docks are only offered in white, the main change from previous version being the inclusion of a Lightning connector and retooled cradle. The new lightning docks will be available on Sept. 20 for $29.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    Sorry those 5C cases are downright fugly.
  • Reply 2 of 63
    Do we know yet if the 5s case will fit the iphone 5?
  • Reply 3 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Agreed. Ugh.

• Reply 4 of 63
    I know Apple did this for the iPad but it's still interesting to see what Apple is liking in the post Steve Jobs era. I remember Steve publicly said in an interview that he didn't like cases and they felt like they ruined the look of the device and was more like a "condom" for your phone. I don't disagree with what he said at all (They really do look have a sleek look to them caseless unlike most smartphones pre 2007) but I do think cases are important because, well most people drop phones once in a while. Not everyone is naturally careful and accidents happen.
  • Reply 5 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Comprehension View Post

IP5 58.6 x 123.8 x 7.6mm

IP5S 58.6 x 123.8 x 7.6mm

So I'd say maybe. Except for any new button locations, I dunno. Camera/flash are all bigger.

Edit (previous was 5S comparison)

• Reply 6 of 63

????

It's so beautiful… "We don't think people want docks anymore" my FOOT.

• Reply 7 of 63

they won't, the 5c has completely different dimensions.... bigger in every way, particularly thickness.

• Reply 8 of 63
    [SIZE=72px]????[/SIZE]
    It's so beautiful… "We don't think people want docks anymore" my FOOT.

Apple. Making a brother happy. Again
  • Reply 9 of 63
    Originally Posted by clayder View Post

bigger in every way, particularly thickness.

Identical thicknesses. He was talking about 5 and 5S.

• Reply 10 of 63
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Yes, the iPhone 5S cases and docks are compatible with the previous iPhone 5.

Source: store.apple.com
  • Reply 11 of 63
  • Reply 12 of 63
    Quote:

IP5 58.6 x 123.8 x 7.6mm

IP5S 58.6 x 123.8 x 7.6mm

So I'd say maybe. Except for any new button locations, I dunno. Camera/flash are all bigger.

Edit (previous was 5S comparison)

On the Apple store website, it says: compatibility, and lists both iPhone 5 and iPhone 5S

• Reply 13 of 63
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

Couldn't have said it better myself. The colors, the style.... nothing to like about them. Those dots look like some connect 4 board or other pre-k type toy. 

• Reply 14 of 63

Happy they have a basic dock again but phone specific? Probably pick up a universal for any lighting instead

• Reply 15 of 63
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

Why not having an irregular dotted pattern? This way Apple can avoid the writings on the backside of their phone.

Right now the case reveals "hon", which is a bit unfortunate on a design perspective.

• Reply 16 of 63
    Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

Happy they have a basic dock again but phone specific? Probably pick up a universal for any lighting instead

How are you going to have a universal dock when all Lightning devices are different shapes and thicknesses?

• Reply 17 of 63
    Those cases are fugly.
  • Reply 18 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Deewin View Post

I know Apple did this for the iPad but it's still interesting to see what Apple is liking in the post Steve Jobs era. I remember Steve publicly said in an interview that he didn't like cases and they felt like they ruined the look of the device and was more like a "condom" for your phone. I don't disagree with what he said at all (They really do look have a sleek look to them caseless unlike most smartphones pre 2007) but I do think cases are important because, well most people drop phones once in a while. Not everyone is naturally careful and accidents happen.

I agree that cases severely diminish from the fit and feel of a beautiful device like the iPhone.  It's like putting a cheap plastic cover on your fancy leather couch.  Sure, it protects it, but at what cost?  You never get to enjoy the device that designers put thousands of hours into honing.  Steve Jobs had it right, but if people want to buy them I guess I'm okay with that because it means more money for shareholders.

As for people dropping phones, I don't know what to say...  how about a simple: "BE CAREFUL!"  

I know I should knock on wood when I say this, but I'm pretty sure I've never damaged any expensive electronic device by dropping it in my entire life, for the simple fact that I'm careful with my stuff and I don't do stupid things like hovering over a toilet with a phone or iPod in an open pocket.  The average person is careless, so I guess they get what they deserve and/or need to buy "condoms" that cover up their beautiful iDevices.  It's sad, but doesn't affect my ability to enjoy the real thing, so have at it.

• Reply 19 of 63
    Disappointed, the phone is priced at $549 contract free. Should've been priced at $399.

The upper range for a market like China would be anything above $400 USD - this price and above would capture almost no new market that Apple seeks to gain with the iPhone 5C, since Apple currently has products in this tier.
  • Reply 20 of 63
    I'll pick up a dock while contemplating on the color of the 5s. I guess the new grey is the one for me:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/31164/width/1000/height/2000[/IMG]

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/31168/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

Darn Huddler; why can I preview pics in 1000x2000 but not submit that? Geez, the irony