Apple makes iWork, iPhoto and iMovie free with new iOS devices

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46

This is actually a very interesting move by Apple. I actually thought they'd keep charging for their iOS iWork apps and only offer the Mac-based and iCloud ones free (which I still expect). These apps provide 80% (minimum, probably more like 95%) functionality for people who need and use office suite software, and that is definitely not good news for office suite software providers like Microsoft, because if you can get the vast majority of your user base functional with essential apps that are free, why in the world would you pay for them? MS Office licenses are not cheap to companies, I would imagine this is a trend that will only continue and soon this functionality will be considered so basic that we will expect every OS to provide it as base functionality, like all the other apps they already provide every user.

• Reply 22 of 46
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member
    Surely the MS suit only worked because of MS's monopoly with Windows. iOS doesn't have that.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sau124 View Post

I don't think it was mentioned that it will be free for current iOS devices. Only offered with new devices. That sucks assuming most of us might only upgrade one phone in the household.

Two questions:

1) Has this been confirmed either way?  Anyone?

I'd love to drop those apps on my current iPhone if they're available for free.

2) How much of the functionality of the latest versions of these apps is restricted if you don't use iCloud.  I have no interest in ever storing any kind of personal data in the cloud, but would appreciate the ability to use and edit spreadsheets and presentations created on my Mac and also editing photos directly on the iPhone with iPhoto.

• Reply 24 of 46
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

2) How much of the functionality of the latest versions of these apps is restricted if you don't use iCloud.  I have no interest in ever storing any kind of personal data in the cloud, but would appreciate the ability to use and edit spreadsheets and presentations created on my Mac and also editing photos directly on the iPhone with iPhoto.

Zero percent.

• Reply 25 of 46
    Apple isn't bundling iWork, iPhoto, and iMovie with iOS. Apple is selling them for FREE.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Apple isn't bundling iWork, iPhoto, and iMovie with iOS. Apple is selling them for FREE.

To the iPhone 5S and 5C. No other devices are confirmed yet.

• Reply 27 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Today. Tomorrow I expect they'll do away with this silly restriction and just offer them to all iOS users.

• Reply 28 of 46
    Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

Today. Tomorrow I expect they'll do away with this silly restriction and just offer them to all iOS users.

Why, when they stated "newly purchased devices" today?

• Reply 29 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why, when they stated "newly purchased devices" today?

"Tomorrow" does not mean tomorrow 11 September but rather "at some point in the future," ffs.<sigh>

• Reply 30 of 46

"Tomorrow" does not mean tomorrow 11 September but rather "at some point in the future," ffs.<sigh>

And, "for fu?k's sake", my point stands. Why would they do that, when they've explicitly stated this will not be the case for devices activated after a certain date?!

Whoa, Huddler actually HAS a profanity filter now. The one time I actually quote one of those words…

• Reply 31 of 46

It was never mentioned, specifically, 5S and 5C or new iPads or new iPods - they mentioned every new iOS devices that are purchased after a certain point.  I'm trying to figure out that if it is tied to the iTunes account or the specific device?  It is not going to help if I have say Keynote on the new iPhone but not my current iPad 4.  That would suck as I will not use it completely.  What do you think?

• Reply 32 of 46
    Quote:

And, "for fu?k's sake", my point stands. Why would they do that, when they've explicitly stated this will not be the case for devices activated after a certain date?!

Whoa, Huddler actually HAS a profanity filter now. The one time I actually quote one of those words…

Yes, because once you state something you can never ever change your mind or your decision, because everyone knows a policy today is a policy forever.

• Reply 33 of 46

Yes, because once you state something you can never ever change your mind or your decision, because everyone knows a policy today is a policy forever.

Can ? will.

Originally Posted by sau124 View Post

I'm trying to figure out that if it is tied to the iTunes account or the specific device?

Obviously the account, but only accessible on said device. Once you've downloaded it for free on your newly purchased device, you may redownload it freely, as per anything from Apple, on any other device that uses the same account.

• Reply 34 of 46
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member

What, no new flat pastel icons for iWork yet? Get with the theme.

I only hope that the development in iWork doesn't stop at making it 64-bit, but addresses file compatibility with the Mac OS X versions.

Quote:

This is actually a very interesting move by Apple. I actually thought they'd keep charging for their iOS iWork apps and only offer the Mac-based and iCloud ones free (which I still expect). These apps provide 80% (minimum, probably more like 95%) functionality for people who need and use office suite software, and that is definitely not good news for office suite software providers like Microsoft, because if you can get the vast majority of your user base functional with essential apps that are free, why in the world would you pay for them? MS Office licenses are not cheap to companies, I would imagine this is a trend that will only continue and soon this functionality will be considered so basic that we will expect every OS to provide it as base functionality, like all the other apps they already provide every user.

I thought MS was free, but only to subscribers of the Desktop versions - but could be wrong. Which would make it either free if you have it, or a very very expensive option.

It may be a harder blow to Byte2, DataViz, Google's QuickOffice - but they do have better support for alternative cloud services, like DropBox, Google - iOS iWork only does WebDav.

• Reply 35 of 46

Chill out everyone. It's free with new iOS devices (stated in the keynote), and for those wondering about iWork for OSX compatibility, I'm certain we'll hear about that in a month during Mavericks release. I wouldn't be surprised if it's free iWork for OSX w/ every new mac. I'd pay for the new ones to get full compatibility.

• Reply 36 of 46
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Isn't that just a demo? If not, I rescind any thoughts of anti-trust; there's no way Apple could have that happen.

Nope. Full version of Office and included since day one.  RT retains a vestige of the old Win 7 desktop - mainly to host Office.  Not touch optimized so good luck with hitting the tiny targets.  Especially in a widely rumored 8" Surface.  (MS is dropping the "RT" branding with 8.1 - to try and avoid its stank, and their tabs are going to be just Surface (formerly RT) and Surface Pro (Intel Haswell with the full Win 7 DT)...

(Kind of amazing that MS doesn't have Win 8 versions of its own productivity programs - on their "OS of the future" after a year. Carts. Horses. Before.)

Also mildly surprised an übergeek of your stature didn't have this factoid at hand.  Guess you mostly focus on things Apple.  Oh well.  You're more educational than you're not 90% of the time.

• Reply 37 of 46
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

I wonder what effect this change will have on the development cycle for iWork and iLife apps, which has in the past been rather choppy (big release, loooong period of no change, big release etc).

I figure either or both of these effects could apply:

• Apple stops valuing iWork and iLife so much since it doesn't have a direct revenue stream.

• Apple values iWork and iLife a lot more as it starts to be seen as a core part of iOS (and OS X, maybe).

Or maybe it won't have any effect at all.

Will be interesting to see if the pricing strategy for iWork and iLife on the Mac changes.  It almost seems like they have to go free too, to match the iOS and iCloud versions, but maybe Apple see it differently.

• Reply 38 of 46
    Hope it will become free for the iPhone 4S also. Hard to believe they still have that phone in their startup or lineup and choose to exclude it.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    Free only for newly Purchased devices!!!! Not for older ones.
    see http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/built-in-apps/ down the page.
    -
    "iPhoto, iMovie, Keynote, Pages, and Numbers are free on the App Store for
    qualifying iOS 7 compatible devices activated after September 1, 2013.
    See www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/ for iOS 7 compatible devices...
  • Reply 40 of 46

Hi all..  el Pueblo is right.  These is not free to all. I check the fine print yesterday. Only for activations priors Sept 1 2013

I will excellent to update these on the news!.