No iPhone 5s preorder period hints at supply constraints ahead of Sept. 20 launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's iPhone 5s will launch on the same date as the iPhone 5c, but unlike the plastic-shelled handset, the 5s won't be available for preorder, leading some to believe that supplies of the high-end device may be constrained.

Tuesday's unveiling of the lower-cost iPhone 5c and the iPhone 5s set a Sept. 20 release date for both devices. The 5c will go up for preorder on Sept. 13, a week before launch, but there is no similar option for the high-end model, meaning customers who want to get an iPhone 5s on release day will apparently have to visit an Apple Store or carrier shop in person.

Speaking with AppleInsider following Tuesday's keynote presentation, an Apple representative would only confirm that the iPhone 5s will be available online and that there would be no preorder program. No details were given as to why the system would not be used this year.

Given Apple's secretive nature, it is difficult to say why the Cupertino company will not hold preorders for its high-end device. In the lead-up to Tuesday's event, though, there were indications that something could be holding back manufacture of the 5s.

Before the device's unveiling, analysts predicted that production yields could be lower for the 5s than for its lower-cost sibling. This was said to be due to the technological improvements Apple packed into its flagship device.

The 5s features the same high-quality build of its predecessor, with beefed up internals as well, including a 64-bit A7 chip that is said to be twice as fast as the A6 featured in the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5c. It also features a new M7 motion co-processor that constantly measures motion data. Additionally, Apple overhauled the camera on the device to give it an f/2.2 aperture and a dual LED flash unit for better low-light picture.

Despite those improvements, one component in particular is said to have had a gross impact on 5s yields: the Touch ID fingerprint sensor.

That component pushes security on iPhones devices to a level higher than any its competitors can achieve, but reports emerged in July that Apple was having trouble attaining high yield rates for the technology. Later reports attributed production setbacks to other components, including LCD units, but the fingerprint sensor was still named by others as a source of difficulty.

In August, well-sourced KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted that the iPhone 5s would see far fewer units constructed this quarter than would the 5c. Kuo expects that Apple will ship 8.4 million 5c units in the September quarter, with the 5s shipping just 5.2 million units over the same period.

Kuo expects that 5s production will pick up dramatically in the next quarter, though, with apple shipping 28 million units in the holiday quarter, an increase of 438 percent. iPhone 5c shipments are expected to jump 122 percent to 18.7 million units.

"Despite yield rate issues with fingerprint sensor module and casing, a timetable ensuring improvement has been established, which eases our concerns over 5S production," Kuo said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    "meaning customers who want to get an iPhone 5s on release day will apparently have to visit an Apple Store or carrier shop in person."

And so those lines the whining media demand for their photo ops will be provided.

And the rest of us who shop online will just set the correct date and do it.
  • Reply 2 of 57
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Not again.
    So tired of this.
    Up early, coffee, camaraderie, zzzzzzzzz.
  • Reply 3 of 57
    I would only do pre-orders if there is limited supply. Why pre-order something if you know you can just walk in on release day and buy it?
  • Reply 4 of 57

NO. REALLY.

• Reply 5 of 57
  • Reply 6 of 57
    im getting the 5s.. got my gazelle quote looked in for my 5...
  • Reply 7 of 57
    No wonder there are people in line at the store near me. Hopefully AT&T gets some and not just Apple stores.
  • Reply 8 of 57

It seems very silly that they are not doing 5S pre-orders, this will force us either to go to Apple Stores or the Carriers shops

It's made worse by there being multiple models of the 5S on the website and the "LTE" page listing only limited carriers here in the UK

• Reply 9 of 57

Makes those guys that lined up last Thursday at the Fifth Avenue Manhattan store seem pretty smart now doesn't it?

Not really.

• Reply 10 of 57
    My thought as well on no 5S preorders. Apple likes the publicity they get from customers lined up outside their stores on launch day.
  • Reply 11 of 57

It just seems wrong that it is 5s and not 5S. The lowercase s makes it seem like a plural statement. I checked and even on Apple's own website it is lowercase.

• Reply 12 of 57
    pjwilkin wrote: »
    It seems very silly that they are not doing 5S pre-orders, this will force us either to go to Apple Stores or the Carriers shops

It's made worse by there being multiple models of the 5S on the website and the "LTE" page listing only limited carriers here in the UK

Or order it that day.
  • Reply 13 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joshuarayer View Post

It just seems wrong that it is 5s and not 5S. The lowercase s makes it seem like a plural statement. I checked and even on Apple's own website it is lowercase.

The same for the 4s, while the 3GS was different.

• Reply 14 of 57
    *pitches a tent*
  • Reply 15 of 57
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

The same for the 4s

Did they really, initially? Because they've changed it now. I don't remember.

• Reply 16 of 57
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joshuarayer View Post

Exactly my thoughts.

Well anyway the iPhone 5S is definitely on my to get list; when my iPhone4 contract end is reached mid Jan.

When I got the iPhone4 several yrs ago in mid Jan, it took me a few weeks to find a shop with stock available.

Now with this very lovely iPhone5S, I'm sure I'll experience the same difficulty locating one.

It amazes me how they can produce so many quality iPhones in such a short time.

Well done Apple!

• Reply 17 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Or order it that day.

I pre-ordered my last 3 iPhones, it's a shame that they can't do it for the 5s this time.

• Reply 18 of 57
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    If the same sensor is used in the iPad 5 (as I surely hope!) then that could indeed spell constraints for a while. For both products. (It may also lead to pushing the iPad until later in the year.)
  • Reply 19 of 57

I believe it's a Small Cap, not lowercase.
  • Reply 20 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Did they really, initially? Because they've changed it now. I don't remember.

Initially? I don't either, maybe I've something from back when I bought it, but it's a small "s" now and the Apple site uses a capitalized "S" for the 3GS...