Apple to offer iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c cases, Lightning docks at launch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    Does anyone else feel those cases for the 5C look ridiculous with the text showing through the circles on the back. Very odd choice
  • Reply 22 of 63
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

3rd party case makers just breathed a sigh of relief. I don't see them losing too many customers to these spectacularly ugly cases. 

• Reply 23 of 63
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Sorry those 5C cases are downright fugly.

I agree.  Apple should know better. I wouldn't put those on the market.  

• Reply 24 of 63
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Agreed. Ugh.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I agree.  Apple should know better. I wouldn't put those on the market.  

That was my initial reaction, too. But then I watched the Jony Ive video. They designed it to contrast with the polycarbonate backplate in material and color. And I think it is intended to appeal to teens. Not saying they look great to me. But, once again, there is interesting method behind the madness. 

• Reply 25 of 63
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Shev View Post

Does anyone else feel those cases for the 5C look ridiculous with the text showing through the circles on the back. Very odd choice

Yes I do. Do you also think someone at Apple really likes mustard? The 5S color choices remind me of yellow, dijon, or german mustard colors. Very bizarre choices in my opinion. It is almost as if they chose the least popular colors from existing cases intentionally with the exception of the black and blue ones. 

• Reply 26 of 63
    Quote:

+1!

I wonder if anyone will fancy these. At all.

Maybe Damien Hirst will like them. (
    http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2012/10/09/1226491/726334-us-art-damien-hirst.jpg)

• Reply 27 of 63

I think they realized that cases are an easy way for them to try to shore up their profit margins. Unfortunately these cases are hideous, unlike the bumper cases they had for the 4/4s.

Oh well, this sadly is the post-Jobs era. (And I was hoping for a 'those icons were placeholders' as well... You can hope in one hand and cr*p in the other...)

• Reply 28 of 63

Hate those cases. Dirt is going to accumulate in every hole on the back. If I buy a case for a phone I DON'T want to see the original color through gaps and holes!

On the positive side the new cases double as a portable fly swatter! Innovative!

• Reply 29 of 63
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    patpatpat wrote: »

Agreed. Ugh.

Those cases are fugly.

Designed by Jonny Ive?
  • Reply 30 of 63
    fazzter wrote: »
    Hate those cases. Dirt is going to accumulate in every hole on the back. If I buy a case for a phone I DON'T want to see the original color through gaps and holes!

On the positive side the new cases double as a portable fly swatter! Innovative!

Think fishnet stockings- will appeal to retro ladies.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Finally a fucking dock!  About time. 

• Reply 32 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

Think fishnet stockings- will appeal to retro ladies.

Yeah I suppose. i think we will call the new cases the iSwat!

• Reply 33 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

????

It's so beautiful… "We don't think people want docks anymore" my FOOT.

I'm very happy they brought back the dock. Love it!

But will the dock work with the Apple case on?

• Reply 34 of 63
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

I think they realized that cases are an easy way for them to try to shore up their profit margins. Unfortunately these cases are hideous, unlike the bumper cases they had for the 4/4s. ...

Indeed.  But the cases work because they make the iPhone 5c look "whoreish".  :)

the fact that you have to pay extra for them works too because if you buy an iPhone 5c and the case with it, you have just spent within 60 bucks of the full price for this years's iPhone.  So you are spending almost the same money, and you are getting last years phone tarted up in a cheap coloured plastic case.  

A better metaphor for a tired old hooker I can't think of.  

• Reply 35 of 63
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

I'm very happy they brought back the dock. Love it!

But will the dock work with the Apple case on?

'Course not. They never have. Who needs a case, anyway?

• Reply 36 of 63

They really goofed by having the iPhone5c case crop off the "iPhone" so that it says "hon" or "non".  It's a really huge design/branding flaw.  What would Steve do?  Fix it!

?

• Reply 37 of 63

Could be worse, imagine of only "ho" showed through :-)  That and the fishnet stocking appearance would have been funny. 

• Reply 38 of 63
    Still kinda miffed that there aren't more lightning iPad and dual-connector iPhone docks out there.

Hoping that changes now with the 2nd generation of lightning devices.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by connector View Post

They really goofed by having the iPhone5c case crop off the "iPhone" so that it says "hon" or "non".  It's a really huge design/branding flaw.  What would Steve do?  Fix it!

?

This is a time where I will pull out the "Steve would never approve that." card. It was so easily fixable to make a large oval window around the "iPhone" label. 

I'm not as put off by the case colors as about everyone else here. I think the model is intended for a younger consumer. But this case design is wrong-objectively wrong.

• Reply 40 of 63

Message from Apple Board;

Are You F*^%ing Kidding Me!