Apple's iPhone 5s & iPhone 5c keynote now available via web and AppleTV

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Just a few hours after it concluded on Tuesday, Apple made its keynote presentation ? at which it unveiled both the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c ? available online for all to view.

Keynote

The stream of the event is now available on Apple's official website as well as from within the Apple Events app on your AppleTV. Tuesday's presentation included Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook, marketing chief Phil Schiller, and Software Engineering head Craig Federighi.

Apple used the event to introduce its new flagship smartphone, the iPhone 5s, which features a Touch ID fingerprint scanner and 64-bit A7 processor. It will go on sale next Friday, Sept. 20, and will be available for starting at $199 with a new service contract.

The company introduced the new iPhone 5c, which has similar specifications to last year's iPhone 5, but comes in a new polycarbonate plastic case that's available in five new colors: red, green, yellow, blue and white. The iPhone 5c will run $99 for a 16-gigabyte model with carrier subsidy, or $199 for a 32-gigabyte capacity, and will also debut next Friday. Preorders for the iPhone 5c begin this Friday, Sept. 13.

Apple also revealed that iOS 7, its redesigned mobile operating system, will launch for compatible iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices next Wednesday, two days before the new iPhones become available. It will be a free download.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Is it possible to view this on AppleTV?
  • Reply 2 of 66

Straight from the keynote:

So today, we're announcing that we're making all five of these industry leading apps free. They're free with any new iOS device… So when you're setting up your new iOS device, iOS 7 will present you with this screen… This is for any new iPad or any new iPhone or 5th generation iPod touch.

Sounds like everything that runs iOS 7. Takes care of that problem. Unless they truly do mean ONLY for 'out of the box' devices.

• Reply 3 of 66
    I'm disappointed. I was hoping for a "one more thing" moment & I know I'm not the only one. Apple needs to get it together.
  • Reply 4 of 66
    Originally Posted by Manishboy77 View Post

I'm disappointed. I was hoping for a "one more thing" moment & I know I'm not the only one. Apple needs to get it together.

What part of "Steve Jobs is dead" was unclear? Take your false concern elsewhere.

• Reply 5 of 66
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    What part of "Steve Jobs is dead" was unclear? Take your false concern elsewhere.

Lol- you're harsh Tallest! :lol:
  • Reply 6 of 66

I was hoping for an upgrade from n to ac :( 

• Reply 7 of 66
    i'm very disappointed, no Mac news, Icloud video storage (like fotostream), Apple Tv, Macbook Pro...nothing, and i find i horrible that the Iphone 5 just disappears from the upgrade line, the 4S stays, 5 goes out...where is the logic?
    Meanwhile stock is falling down and also NO livestream of this event..
    Does Apple not have the technology to stream this event ?
    I was all very 'cheap' and 'fast' done, with Costello as closing act.
    Tim Cook has lost my trust. The time of magic of Steve and his 'one more thing' has completly faded out, there is no more 'magic' anymore.
    Only thing i hope for is another event before the holydays that brings more than a fingersensor and cheap plastic sold as 'quality' (5C..)
    What was it again that Tim Cook said in the last summer event 'it was never our intention to sell the most, but sell quality'
    Apple and plastic...seems BIG mistake and seems more 'Samsung', indeed, Apple IS changing course for making 'the most'.
  • Reply 8 of 66
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I didn't watch the whole video (I skipped the parts about new Apple stores and others boring PR  bits) but did anyone else notice how subdued the audience was? Very little applause and it was not very enthusiastic. The Apple team on stage also just didn't appear to me at least to be that excited either. The tension and discomfort was almost palpable. Contrast that with the WWDC event and you will quickly see what I mean. 

I really feel like Apple missed a great chance today. The prices needed to be at least $100 less on the 5C, and they also could have doubled the memory to 32/64/128. It was also a great chance to kill the 3.5" and old 30pin for good. Why not just offer a 8G version of the 5C for $100 less off contract or free on contract. That one stumped me. 

Although some will disagree, until Apple releases a larger display or completely changes the case people will view these type of upgrades as very minor and nothing to get excited about. Fingerprint scanners and 64 bit just won't cut it. 

People worried the 5C would cannibalize sales from the 5S but it looks like it is the other way around. Pay $100 more and get a much nicer phone with far more improvements. $549 off contact for the 5C seems far too expensive. I thought $449 to $499 was a little expensive but still cheap enough to really grow market share. 

I have no doubts that both these phones will sell great and beat all previous models in sales numbers but will not help reduce the decline in global market share. It didn't offer a larger display or a cheaper price for the 5C so we have essentially the same line up as yesterday just in more colors.  I just can't help but feel very underwhelmed. While I was watching the video I also got this alert on my iPhone. 

• Reply 9 of 66
    Originally Posted by ElFig2012 View Post

i'm very disappointed, no Mac news, Icloud video storage (like fotostream), Apple Tv, Macbook Pro...nothing, and i find i horrible that the Iphone 5 just disappears from the upgrade line, the 4S stays, 5 goes out...where is the logic?

From common sense that absolutely anyone paying any manner of attention would have noticed? 

NO LIVESTREAM?! APPLE IS DOOMED. The stock falls after every keynote. Wall Street are idiots.

Tim Cook has lost my trust.

Leave, then.

Only thing i hope for is another event before the holydays that brings more than a fingersensor and cheap plastic sold as 'quality' (5C..)

Yeah, just leave.

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Although some will disagree, until Apple releases a larger display or completely changes the case people will view these type of upgrades as very minor and nothing to get excited about. Fingerprint scanners and 64 bit just won't cut it. 

Every single one of Apple's product releases proves you wrong. Stop saying this.

• Reply 10 of 66
    A total disaster. Apple badly needs atleast 40 to 50 percent of Steve Jobs. Looking at these 5c n 5s i lost hope in ios7 too. Makers of htc motivated with Apple for build quality is moving ahead with Aluminium body but dont understand y Apple has gone for this cheap Samsung way (plastic). Both the models wud sure be a big zero for Apple. The basic ethics of APPLE that is the quality is gone. Cheaper in the sense is not surely going the Samsung way (plastic). A big blow for die hard Apple fans like me.
  • Reply 11 of 66
    [QUOTE]Quote:
    Originally Posted by Manishboy77
    [/QUOTE]

It is now called the "one more finger" moment.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    Originally Posted by apjonson View Post

A total disaster. Apple badly needs atleast 40 to 50 percent of Steve Jobs. Looking at these 5c n 5s i lost hope in ios7 too. Makers of htc motivated with Apple for build quality is moving ahead with Aluminium body but dont understand y Apple has gone for this cheap Samsung way (plastic). Both the models wud sure be a big zero for Apple. The basic ethics of APPLE that is the quality is gone. Cheaper in the sense is not surely going the Samsung way (plastic). A big blow for die hard Apple fans like me.

Nothing at all you have said is true or even comprehensible. Shush.

• Reply 13 of 66
    Tim is doing the best he knows how. Unfortunately for Apple its best days are behind them even though they still make and will continue to make the best phones on the planet
  • Reply 14 of 66
    Originally Posted by tomdri View Post

Tim is doing the best he knows how. Unfortunately for Apple its best days are behind them even though they still make and will continue to make the best phones on the planet

Go away.

• Reply 15 of 66
    tallest skil: get a life or better yet, learn to listen more---you may actually find that some people have opinions that are different than yours but greater merit and value. And OMG, they actually add to the value of this blog! Just because you log thousands of opinions on this forum doesn't make you the defender of all things Apple. Rather, you come across as shrill and condescending. I for one, found that gwmac's opinions made sense. And that elfig2012's frustration with Apple resonates with many loyal Apple fans. And one more thing, Wall Street aren't idiots; greedy, conniving and dishonest at times but that's the primary game for Apple investors. Sadly, that game has also lost it's luster.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Nokia Microsoft has already jumped in to diss Apple's announcements today. They obviously already had this done and waiting on the keynote.

5 things Apple didn't announce:
    http://www.thinglink.com/scene/432647156990476289
  • Reply 17 of 66
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ElFig2012 View Post

Does Apple not have the technology to stream this event ?

I was all very 'cheap' and 'fast' done, with Costello as closing act.

Tim Cook has lost my trust. The time of magic of Steve and his 'one more thing' has completly faded out, there is no more 'magic' anymore.

What was it again that Tim Cook said in the last summer event 'it was never our intention to sell the most, but sell quality'

Apple and plastic...seems BIG mistake and seems more 'Samsung', indeed, Apple IS changing course for making 'the most'.

One of the shittiest troll posts I've ever seen. You were expecting Mac news @ this event? What the **** is wrong with you? The reason you had this expectation, which goes against all reason and rationality, is not Apple's fault- it's yours. 

• Reply 18 of 66
    Originally Posted by Sandyf View Post

tallest skil

Please actually read the comments before assuming things about people. They do not have opinions. They are trolling, and therefore there is no reason to put up with posts like that. They do not deserve proper rebuttals after they have proven to take positions that are patently false.

• Reply 19 of 66

If Bono died U2 wouldn't be the same either.  Apple are now Edge, Adam and Larry making music as U2.

• Reply 20 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by apjonson View Post

You make yourself sound like a total troll, with funny statements like these. You do realise that the rest of the industry has first of got nothing close to a Touch ID technology that works the ways Apples does ? 

And you wouldn't understand what the significance of moving platforms to a 64 bit OS means either. Apps on the iPhone would be more powerful and blazing fast. 2 Giant strides in the mobile computing space, that the rest of the competition is going to try hard to achieve.

The iPhone 5S, has raised the bars of any device out there today, and you'll notice that when you see these devices sell !

Stock prices ALWAYS drop after a major Keynote, so investors can make a quick buck , taking advantage of the sudden spikes in the stock price. So that's not any different this year as well. So the next time you post , think a while before doing so .