Apple unveils new iPhone 5c in green, blue, red, yellow & white starting at $99, launching Sept. 20

Comments

• Reply 141 of 168
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    asdasd wrote: »
    Why would Tim cook definitely know what he is doing any more than Elop or Ballmer. It's possible he is out if his depth.

Tim Cook built the global supply and sales monster that Apple has become over the last ten or so years. It's more than obvious that he's master of that part of the business, even when admitting mistakes like the lamination difficulties and early shorting of iMac supplies.

Steve Jobs assembled the visionary infrastructure. Tim Cook has that to draw on. The master editorial function has moved from Jobs to Ive. It looks like he's enough of a general to dismiss a loose Jobs-favored cannon like Forstall.

Ballmer was never a big picture guy. Don't know much about Elop, but anyone who backs Windows 8 . . .

Tim Cook gets what Apple is about and he can steer the ship and delegate to the crew. I don't see any problem.
  • Reply 142 of 168
    Originally Posted by K2kW View Post

I guess the "s" in iphone5s stands for jump the shark. Thanks for pointing it out.

Go to MacRumors.

• Reply 143 of 168
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

I live in India and did not know, must investigate. I can buy one for Diwali lottery, we have every year.

I'm not sure whether the full article has any more information for you but here's the link: 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2013/09/10/even-with-a-higher-than-expected-price-iphone-sales-should-be-strong-in-the-december-quarter/

• Reply 144 of 168
    I love the design, just thought it would be $429 or $499 off contract instead of $599 (Canada). Still pricey if purchasing an unlocked device, but definitely priced right at the subsidized level.
  • Reply 145 of 168
    sdo2000 wrote: »
    Well on the plus side my iphone 5 will hold it's aftermarket value till iphone 6.

It seems like they have started 2 device categories; the S and the C. So the next iPhones would be the iPhone 6C and 6S.
  • Reply 146 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Go to MacRumors.

Get some fresh air. Do you have any friends at all? I know you believe you're married, but being a "bronie" doesn't count.

This forum is hilarious. This guy mouths off like a douche bag all day long, knowing he has the peace and security that comes with hiding behind a computer screen, but if you call him out on it it is considered "ad hominem."

Yes, MacRumors would be a better place to discuss these subjects. You can continue with your circle jerk now, bitches.

• Reply 147 of 168
    souliisoul wrote: »

I live in India and did not know, must investigate. I can buy one for Diwali lottery, we have every year.

I for one hope you get back to us with the pricing perspective from India.
  • Reply 148 of 168
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

It seems like they have started 2 device categories; the S and the C. So the next iPhones would be the iPhone 6C and 6S.

They are working on a larger screen model, so I wonder what that might be called.  iPhone 6?

• Reply 149 of 168
    Get some fresh air. Do you have any friends at all? I know you believe you're married, but being a "bronie" doesn't count.

This forum is hilarious. This guy mouths off like a douche bag all day long, knowing he has the peace and security that comes with hiding behind a computer screen, but if you call him out on it it is considered "ad hominem."

Yes, MacRumors would be a better place to discuss these subjects. You can continue with your circle jerk now, bitches.

Actually he just mans the broom and keeps the windows open for fresh air. MacRumors is more the pit you're looking for. Bye.
  • Reply 150 of 168
    patpatpat wrote: »
    I don't know if I fully agree with this. Thinking long term, how many new users would a cheaper 5C have brought into the apple ecosystem. How many more apps/itunes/accessories/applecare plans purchased. Think of the 5C as a gateway drug, once you get the people sucked in to iEverything, Android and Samsung have little of value to offer (at the cheaper end).  Next iteration, the new apple user finds they can get a decent price for their used 5C and are likely to consider upgrading to the 5S level model. 
    Most cheap android phones we ever had were worth squat after 2 years.

I understand. The marketing concept is not one followed by the bulk of manufacturers because the quarterly performance numbers are demanded by most stockholders and most management lacks to confidence to think and act for longer term objectives.

Consider this: Android phones are priced to appeal to people with lesser money. Then the Android app developers have found that it's difficult to sell apps to those same cash poor customers, so they use ads to supplement their incomes. The best Android phones sell for $100 less on eBay compared to a similar iPhones... that is, as you pointed out, the Android is even working after a couple years. With low profit margins in the Android phones, there is less customer service and with more ads in the apps, less of a quality experience. The desire is, and sales have shown, to upgrade out of the Android smart phone and into the Apple iPhone market.

There is no way to easily do that from the bottom of the Android market, it will more likely come from users in the mid to upper Android experience. There will always be a low end market where people cannot afford anything better, or they cannot discern a better experience even if they experienced it. There are those kinds of people.

I guess where you and I may disagree is on what dollar point is too high or too low to demarcate Apple's idea of their market low-end to which they want to appeal.
  • Reply 151 of 168
    I think a lot of people are missing the picture here...Apple does not want customers in the US/EU to buy the 5C, they want you to buy the 5S. The 5c is aimed at China, India, Brazil and other emerging markets. My guess is that we will quickly see the details Apple has worked out with carriers like China Mobile to offer the 5c at very affordable prices in these markets. The 5c is a world phone specifically designed for Asia and other emerging markets...and it will sell very well!!

Finally, some sanity and reason. There've been others, I should add, like Macky and jfc1138.
  • Reply 152 of 168
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

They are working on a larger screen model, so I wonder what that might be called.  iPhone 6?

iPhone 3S.

• Reply 153 of 168
    drblank wrote: »

I'm not sure we will ever see a larger iPhone screen... all analyst dreaming and predicting aside. Personally, I'd rather talk to a bluetooth earpiece then hold a slab of bread to the side of my face and walk around in public. Maybe Apple has a solution that is more like the iPad Mini one holds like it were a book or tablet while conversing through an earpiece.
  • Reply 154 of 168
    flaneur wrote: »
    I for one hope you get back to us with the pricing perspective from India.

I should get one idea from Vodafone guys in India, there can never keep a secret, once they get this information.lol
  • Reply 155 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Consider this: Android phones are priced ...

There will always be a low end market where people cannot afford anything better, or they cannot discern a better experience even if they experienced it. There are those kinds of ...

For example me. No problem with affording one here, but I simply don't need a 1000 Eur phone. I really don't need it because it's useless for some serious work and I'm still not a completely braindamaged fcuked up consumer. I need a simple phone to call and be called + some sms. That is all.  I work in a so called creative industry - a micro 10+ "creative" people platform.

• Reply 156 of 168
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Apple wasn't turning to plastic to submarine the price, they are looking to use color to be their marketing tool for the next couple years or so and plastic is the way to do that best.

The problem with using colored plastic though is that other manufacturers use it and it doesn't come across as premium. I agree that color variety adds something new but they could have colored the metal like 3rd parties do:

Not purple there but the blue and red ones look great. There's a dark green they could use and orange:

http://www.anostyle.com/product/IP5
  • Reply 157 of 168
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    But the assumed drop in margins was priced in when the stock hit $400 ish. The stock only increased with the rumours of a cheaper plastic phone - which we assumed was the plastic one. Since apple haven't delivered a cheaper iPhone it may drop again. Of course they have a Chinese chip but that may not be enough.

However does anyone wonder about a company which innovates with plastic covers and new cases. The fingerprint sensor doesn't do much. 64 bit apps are overkill for a device with 128G memory. nothing is really happening. Maybe they are playing the long game, or they have no idea.

I share several of your concerns about the new iPhones. Is the 5c inexpensive enough to not lose or gain market share? Does the 5s make a big enough jump over the 5 to continue warranting its price.
    I've made a couple snarky comments here because I wasn't blown away like previous product announcement.

It may be that Apple is throwing in the software now because they realize that the value is a little thin.
    But cook probably has to Keep the profit margins up because of Wall Street. Cook is a big part of Apple's success over the last decade, but he's not Steve and probably doesn't have Steve's room for error. If sales don't take off like past years, then they may have to lower prices.

Unfortunately for Apple they are operating in a very competitive market where other phone models have something feature that is impressive. The camera on the Nokia 1020, Boom sound on the HTC ONE, choose your colors on the Moto X, large screen on the Samsung galaxy 4, pen input ( for some) on the Note. The iPhone is may no longer be the best phone in all aspects, but the best overall with a premium price.
  • Reply 158 of 168
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    I guess many people are feeling stupid now for trading in their iPhone 5.
    Wait and see Apple shares going down in the next few months.

Well they should feel stupid for trading in a <1 year old phone.

That decision showed one of Steve Jobs strengths. He admitted mistakes. If he hadnt done that the iPhone would be dead in the water. Cook seems to be a bean counter. He's obsessed with margins.

I'm sorry, who decided the iPhone should have 40% margins? Oh yeah, Jobs.
    I've given up. The iPhone is the new mac - a niche device. Apple could have 50% of the world market - as they do in the US where they are subsidised by up to $200 per device. But they have to do it now. Or last year.

Cook is a disaster.

Haha. Outside of Sammy and Apple, who else makes any money selling cheap crap. The money is in the premium market.
  • Reply 159 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The problem with using colored plastic though is that other manufacturers use it and it doesn't come across as premium. I agree that color variety adds something new but they could have colored the metal like 3rd parties do:

Not purple there but the blue and red ones look great. There's a dark green they could use and orange:

http://www.anostyle.com/product/IP5

That was my first thought... the 5C doesn't come across as a premium phone and that Apple has become like everyone else.

It just seems to cheapen the brand.

Time will tell.

• Reply 160 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't think its meant to be premium, 5C is for the younger (youthful spirited) crowd. Its "as colorful as you are", so goes the a line in the 5C video presentation. Its more towards the fun and colorful iPod feel don't you think?