Just a thought

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I don't know how much I believe the lack of pro line is anyones fault(apple or moto or ibm or whatever) It almost seems like apple WANTS this to happen, the iMac definatly is getting ALOT of attention, I think apple realises that the real pros out there, know better than to get worked up about not having a new pro machine when there is a new consumer machine released. I feel that apple has a plan, once the iMacs popularity begins to dwindle(i.e after the initial 'wow!!!!' and 'thats cool' phases are passed)and as people begin to turn over to macs, and start frequenting apple.com and start telling their friends, and start realizing that the apple pro tower line sucks compared to the iMac, then apple will hit us hard, with a totally ripping monster tower that will keep everyone happy for A WHILE, then once that fades a bit WHAM! portable revamp, then once that fades a little bit SMACK! all new product.

in doing this apple keeps the impression that they are always on the cutting edge, and that they are a hot company to watch out for.

its just a thought, but in effect this means we probably won't be seeing new towers till march or maybe april at the earliest.

and as for history repeating, for one, apple tends not to repeat their history often

and 2nd it seems apple is trying hard to shatter the worlds preconcieved notions about their company

-Wrong Robot

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    *applauds Wrong Robot*
  • Reply 2 of 13
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    You could be right but it the long run it'll just hurt Apple. There are Pros who need the power and it isn't availible from Apple and eventually might switch.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>You could be right but it the long run it'll just hurt Apple. There are Pros who need the power and it isn't availible from Apple and eventually might switch.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This "switch platforms" thing people threaten is just daft. You can't just switch - you have to replace all your needed software, maybe some of your peripherals, then relearn everything as well. It's not like going from Dell to Compaq, or from tea to coffee, it's a huge thing.

Until a new PowerMac is released, the current ones professionals own work fine. I really don't think the threat of switching is that real.

I think Wrong Robot's theory of maximum PR is good too. My guess is we'll a big splash with Powerbooks going 1Ghz Apollo in Tokyo, then G5 at MWNY. Powermac might go Apollo meanwhile, but quietly.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    [quote]Originally posted by tonton:

<strong>

...or not. Cutting edge? No one is buying the towers. They are losing sales and confidence in the pro market every single day they delay a release.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why is it that all these pros who claim their computers are too slow, have time to post to this forum ten times per day? You'd think their machines would be tied up rendering, filtering, and what not?

I have a theory that most pros are busy working and will buy the best machine that's available when they need a new machine.

I could be wrong, but most posters who claim to need the fastest computer imagineable don't seem to be busy enough to actually need the fastest computer imagineable. But hey, that's just my observation.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    [quote]No one is buying the towers. <hr></blockquote>

I saw two get sold today. Both with Cinema Displays.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Blackcat:

<strong>

This "switch platforms" thing people threaten is just daft. You can't just switch - you have to replace all your needed software, maybe some of your peripherals, then relearn everything as well. It's not like going from Dell to Compaq, or from tea to coffee, it's a huge thing. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Kind of like moving to OS X ?

If they buy a new tower from Apple, with OS X as the default, they will have to re-learn everything anyways, AND pay for app upgrades (IF they ever come out).

While they're at it, might as well just jump to Wintel and be done with it. That's the logic.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>

I saw two get sold today. Both with Cinema Displays.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Where? Who would actually buy them right now?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    x704x704 Posts: 276member
    [quote]Originally posted by Gustav:

<strong>

Why is it that all these pros who claim their computers are too slow, have time to post to this forum ten times per day? You'd think their machines would be tied up rendering, filtering, and what not?

I have a theory that most pros are busy working and will buy the best machine that's available when they need a new machine.

I could be wrong, but most posters who claim to need the fastest computer imagineable don't seem to be busy enough to actually need the fastest computer imagineable. But hey, that's just my observation.</strong><hr></blockquote>

There is such a thing as downtime. Many people face tight deadlines at various times of the Day/week/month/year. At other times there may be nothing to do (ie surf the net). At times something needs to be done in 1 hour, perhaps that's the only thing you have to do all day, but you need to get something done in exactly 1 hour from when it lands in your lap.

As far as Apple releasing on in March ... I doubt it. As other pointed out, they're hurting the Pros big time. Companies evaluating purchases of new macs right now (and no, you can't tell your company to wait 1 or 2 months because you've heard on Apple insider that Killer G5's are coming out) & they're comparing them to PC's. For those of you who say software, etc, etc. I've seen it happen, Mac's go out, PC's come in & they'll spring for the PC software. It happens & is happening right now. Every day Apple waits they've just lost another sale to the PC side (company wise) that's not likely ever to come back (once a Company switches to PC's good luck getting them back to macs anytime soon).
  • Reply 8 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Blackcat:

<strong>

This "switch platforms" thing people threaten is just daft. You can't just switch - you have to replace all your needed software, maybe some of your peripherals, then relearn everything as well. It's not like going from Dell to Compaq, or from tea to coffee, it's a huge thing.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's why I said eventually might switch. It'd be annyoing and it'd cost a lot of money but I'm sure if someone had to switch they would.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    Apple is losing pro users left right and centre (and education users). Pros need heavyweight gear for a wide variety of reasons not least of which is the fact that evry successive software upgrade gets bigger, slower and more system intensive than the last - and that's not including OSs (X 256MB anyone?).

In education where we have used pmacs for years in multimedia areas we now find that having upgraded our software yearly we now run the same packages at the same performance as the machines they replaced.

You could be right that apple wanys it this way but not for the reasons you think. Most of the pros I talk to at trade show have the same sinking feeling that I do - apple is gearing up to leave the pro market. The facts speak for themselves - 800Ghz? a rumoured 1.2Ghz? No DDR, Geforce 2? blah blah blah - lets be serious here.

What is really preventing apple from capturing market share is the fact that confidence in their long term viability is waning again. Whether its right or wrong if someone has the best gear on the planet people just don't ever imagine them going bust.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    That's certainly true. I am in down time at the moment but then I lost the battle to use a Mac at work. Believe me I tried every bit of persuasive information I could find, no dice. The problem is that the professionals you speak of don't have complete control over the gear they use. They recommend and then some ignorant a... well you know Windows user (perhaps in the IT dept. or purchasing) gets to decide if you get it or not. I so far have done a lot of work at home and on my Powerbook due to the inability of the Windows machine to do certain tasks.

They don't want me using my own gear so they are spending a huge amount on a new PC with tons of third party crap to do what a PM will do out of the box! Just try finding something that does everything Graphic Converter does on Windows for any amount of money. So yes this is crucial for Professionals. I don't blame Apple but mostly MOT. I'm quite sure Apple is not pleased with how things have gone in the processor area.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by ricain:

<strong>

Kind of like moving to OS X ?

.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, not at all.

Classic runs most apps very well, so you can keep using them. You can boot into 9.2 too.

And besides, Mac OS X works very much like Classic anyway. There is little a pro user would need to do that needed relearning.