First look: Apple's new iPhone 5s and 5c

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple announced two new iPhone models at its media event on Tuesday and AppleInsider was on the scene for first hand look at the devices set to roll out on Sept. 20.

iPhone

iPhone 5s

The iPhone 5s' aesthetic remains largely unchanged from last year's iPhone 5, with only minor design tweaks coming by way of new functionality like the Touch ID fingerprint sensor and dual-LED flash.

iPhone

Dimensions are identical to the outgoing flagship handset, though we were once again surprised by the device's heft, or more specifically lack thereof. While light in the hand, the structure is just as solid as the iPhone 5, with similar button and switch feel.

iPhone

As for the integrated fingerprint sensor, dubbed Touch ID, the module isn't obtrusive and blends in nicely with the iPhone's sleek lines. The home button's familiar square icon is gone, replaced by a blank sapphire covering that is encircled by a stainless steel ring used to detect finger contact. AppleInsider's predictions as to the importance of the metal ring, made last week, were confirmed with today's announcement.

The home button is almost flush with the unit's faceplate, though the steel ring is slightly beveled, possibly to protect the sapphire cover from being scratched.

iPhone

Apple introduced two new colors with the 5s. The much rumored gold hue is actually more subtle than in person and at some angles can be mistaken for silver, as seen above. A new "Space Gray" version takes the place of "Slate and Black," offering a shade closer to gunmetal than jet black. The silver color option is unchanged from last year.

iPhone 5c

Perhaps the biggest news to come out of the event was the addition of a completely new tier to the iPhone lineup in the iPhone 5c.

iPhone

Although it boasts a shell made of polycarbonate, the 5c felt extremely solid and substantial in our hands; it didn't feel "cheap" or "plasticky" as some feared. The casing is shiny, as can be seen from the pictures, but not overly polished like some other handsets on the market.

iPhone

Coloring is vivid and serves as a nice contrast with Apple's iPhone 5c cases, which will be sold in a variety of complementary colors for $29. We noticed that the silicon cases had more of a matte finish compared to the 5c's shell. Inside the optional case is a microfiber cloth lining to protect the shiny finish from scratches.

iPhone

Preorders for the iPhone 5c will commence on Sept. 13, while the iPhone 5s will be available to purchase on Sept. 20.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 246
    Is that really it? What the hell are they doing apart from shedding a load from shareholders. WAKE UP...
  • Reply 2 of 246
    Everything looks great. If only the 5C were $100 cheaper or maybe had a 8GB model for $450
  • Reply 3 of 246
    'it didn't feel "cheap" or "plasticky"' no i would hope not as it isn't cheap by any means.
    This is the most disappointing release has made in a very long time IMO. They seem to have completely missed the point of "affordable".
    They needed to make a phone for half the price of the current iphone, not 10% less... gives a sheet.
  • Reply 4 of 246
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Odysseus1923 View Post

Is that really it? What the hell are they doing apart from shedding a load from shareholders. WAKE UP...

So what exactly did you expect? I'm pretty sure Apple could care less about shareholders. When you start listening to them, its time to close up shop. 

• Reply 5 of 246

When your employees are basically paid in stock options in lieu of actual hefty salaries, that's why you have to care about your shareholder opinions.

• Reply 6 of 246
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dragit View Post

'it didn't feel "cheap" or "plasticky"' no i would hope not as it isn't cheap by any means.

This is the most disappointing release has made in a very long time IMO. They seem to have completely missed the point of "affordable".

They needed to make a phone for half the price of the current iphone, not 10% less... gives a sheet.

This piece of sh*t (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-GT-I9500-Factory-Unlocked/dp/B00BV1NKCW) costs $620 + $5.00 shipping, $125 more than the 5C and with the same 16GB storage, and it isn't by no means anywhere near the quality of the 5C.

No good smartphone are cheap, these devices are expensive. Get over it.

• Reply 7 of 246
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Who is this phone targeting, and who wouldn't spend $100 more to get the premium model, with faster processor, Touch ID, better camera etc.?

I happen to think that the 5C looks decent, for a plastic phone, I just think that Apple now has introduced a new model of iPhone that is priced almost the same as the premium model. $100 difference is nothing.

• Reply 8 of 246
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lvidal View Post

This piece of sh*t (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-GT-I9500-Factory-Unlocked/dp/B00BV1NKCW) costs $620 + $5.00 shipping, $125 more than the 5C and with the same 16GB storage, and it isn't by no means anywhere near the quality of the 5C.

A person who would be buying a 5C would be more likely to buy an S3 or something, not an S4 because at those prices, just buy the higher end version.

The only way I can see things different is possibly Apple having a new agreement with carriers regarding subsidies maybe?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Who is this phone targeting, and who wouldn't spend $100 more to get the premium model, with faster processor, Touch ID, better camera etc.?

I happen to think that the 5C looks decent, for a plastic phone, I just think that Apple now has introduced a new model of iPhone that is priced almost the same as the premium model. $100 difference is nothing.

I can agree with that.

• Reply 9 of 246

I was debating the plastic 5c, but I like the fingerprint ID and the added sensors and faster processors, camera upgrade. I think I would regret buying the 5c over the 5s and be left behind on future features that depend on them. So Space Gray 5s for me.

• Reply 10 of 246
    LOL. Did Apple really copy Samsung Galaxy's burst mode?.... Wow.
  • Reply 11 of 246
    When your employees are basically paid in stock options in lieu of actual hefty salaries, that's why you have to care about your shareholder opinions.

Yet these same employees are the ones that are pushing these products. So I take it they have significant faith in the products
  • Reply 12 of 246
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

My question about the case, if you watched the video...Mr. Ive took an awful lot of time and smugness to describe how wonderful this new chassis design is...how great is feels in your hand, how durable and high quality it is....blah, blah, blah.  Oh, yeah, lets hide all that with these fugly looking cases.  Not to mention they missed that the back whole partially cover the "iPhone" moniker and the testing labels.  Bad design detail.  why didn't they just hide a couple hole so we didn't see the "...hon." peeking through the holes???  Not to mention that the silicone back will make it about 1" into your pocket before getting stuck...and the holes will capture just about every scrap on lint in your pocket, and get trapped between the case and the chassis.

Just bad, bad, bad.

• Reply 13 of 246
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I think that is EXACTLY what Apple is hoping you'd say.  However, considering they are not taking pre-orders on the 5S, this logic of Apple's makes no sense.  There was a study about the Chinese market and what the "Sweet Spot" is for pricing.  It was around $487. So naturally Apple decided their device is worth more profit than that.

• Reply 14 of 246
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    But those buttons do look cheap & plasticky... (5th photo)
  • Reply 15 of 246
    Originally Posted by Odysseus1923 View Post

Be quiet.

Originally Posted by John Oi View Post

SHUT UP. Are you REALLY pretending that Samsung was the first to create a camera that could shoot photographs quickly, or are you just on the payroll?

• Reply 16 of 246
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lvidal View Post

I agree.  The haters are out in full force spewing their typical propaganda nonsense and trying to seed their usual lies.  The phones are solid updates.  I'm curious how the 5C will be accepted.  I think they will sell very well.  I'm very impressed with the tech they put into the 5S.  I love my iP5 but that fingerprint sensor, nicer camera, and the A7 chip is tempting.  I'll wait for the iP6 though for now.

Good job on your flagship phone Apple.  It's sell well, and the iHaters, Fandroids, and typical basement dwellers will still continue to whine like they do at every product launch.

• Reply 17 of 246
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Be quiet.

SHUT UP. Are you REALLY pretending that Samsung was the first to create a camera that could shoot photographs quickly, or are you just on the payroll?

Excuse me, but aren't you the same person who goes crazy when Samsung releases something similar when Apple released one beforehand? Same logic here.

• Reply 18 of 246
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John Oi View Post

Did shamesung copy every SLR cameras burst mode?   SLR's have all been capable of multiple picts very quickly for years and years.  

My Nikon does the exact same thing.  So no apple didn't copy shamesungs burst mode.  If anything they copied SLR manufactures burst modes.

• Reply 19 of 246

What I'm trying to say is that it's kinda funny how Apple implements their own version of "burst mode" after Samsung.

• Reply 20 of 246
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Be quiet.

You're biting the bait. Seeing that he recently registered, let him talk and have him move on.

Btw, can I say how impressed and in love I am with the new "grey" 5S? Its.... I'm... speechless.