Apple's iPhone 5s & iPhone 5c keynote now available via web and AppleTV

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66

I did get the feeling that this was a somewhat subdued keynote. I found my attention wandering quite a bit during the live blog (esp. during the part that seemed to go on endlessly about iSight; I'd rather that CF spent more time recapping OS7). The true test is in the fact that I have no desire to watch the video version.

While I will most certainly be getting the Gold 64 (and my daughter, the Pink 32), I have to say that I am disappointed they didn't have 128 and 64, resp. Those were no-brainers, IMHO.

And, Elvis Costello?! Yikes. That's all they could come up with for a closer!?

Finally, TS: chill. The fact that SJ is dead has nothing to do with Apple resurrecting OMT. In fact, bringing it back would be a small validation/celebration of SJ's ways.

• Reply 22 of 66
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sandyf View Post

tallest skil: get a life or better yet, learn to listen more---you may actually find that some people have opinions that are different than yours but greater merit and value. And OMG, they actually add to the value of this blog! Just because you log thousands of opinions on this forum doesn't make you the defender of all things Apple. Rather, you come across as shrill and condescending. I for one, found that gwmac's opinions made sense. And that elfig2012's frustration with Apple resonates with many loyal Apple fans. And one more thing, Wall Street aren't idiots; greedy, conniving and dishonest at times but that's the primary game for Apple investors. Sadly, that game has also lost it's luster.

Think of him as a very old toothless Chihuaha watchog here on Appleinsider. As a self-appointed watchdog he can't risk actually reading posts or having a calm debate. He has far too many threads to follow and posts to quote to bother doing anything more than skim and bash.  So instead any post that fails to praise Apple strongly enough is immediately attacked and he begins to bark away. It matters not if they have a valid point only that they dared not to praise Apple. It is best to ignore these toothless Chihuahua's here and in real life. They will never stop barking and without teeth they can't bite. 

• Reply 23 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sandyf View Post

tallest skil: get a life or better yet, learn to listen more---you may actually find that some people have opinions that are different than yours but greater merit and value. And OMG, they actually add to the value of this blog! Just because you log thousands of opinions on this forum doesn't make you the defender of all things Apple. Rather, you come across as shrill and condescending. I for one, found that gwmac's opinions made sense. And that elfig2012's frustration with Apple resonates with many loyal Apple fans. And one more thing, Wall Street aren't idiots; greedy, conniving and dishonest at times but that's the primary game for Apple investors. Sadly, that game has also lost it's luster.

2 questions for you.

Is there any smart phone out there today that runs finger print scanning technology successful enough to make it main stream ?

Is there any mobile OS that's 64 bit ? If your not aware of the advantages of a 64 bit OS, over a 32 bit Google it.

Those 2 factor's alone make for what , people would realise the foundations for a new direction of mobile computing. Although basic and fundamental today, if you look around you'll realise that Apple's making those moves while the rest of them have lost focus with 4.5 " and 5 and 6 , and phablets, and glasses n stuff while Apple stays focus and improves its device taking it to a whole different level.

• Reply 24 of 66
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I did get the feeling that this was a somewhat subdued keynote. I found my attention wandering quite a bit during the live blog (esp. during the part that seemed to go on endlessly about iSight; I'd rather that CF spent more time recapping OS7). The true test is in the fact that I have no desire to watch the video version.

While I will most certainly be getting the Gold 64 (and my daughter, the Pink 32), I have to say that I am disappointed they didn't have 128 and 64, resp. Those were no-brainers, IMHO.

And, Elvis Costello?! Yikes. That's all they could come up with for a closer!?

Finally, TS: chill. The fact that SJ is dead has nothing to do with Apple resurrecting OMT. In fact, bringing it back would be a small validation/celebration of SJ's ways.

I agree with your post 100% and said as much in my other comments. When I watched the video and the camera panned to the audience there was almost a sense of Fremdschämen which means sort of vicarious shame or embarrassment. The audience just seemed uncomfortable to be there. 

I also just can't understand why no 128GB version. Would it really cost Apple more than a few bucks to switch to 32/64/128? Or at least offer a 128GB version for another $100? This is the same storage they have offered for several years now with no increase while some Android phone can now reach up to 196GB or higher with storage cards. 

• Reply 25 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Think of him as a very old toothless Chihuaha watchog here on Appleinsider. As a self-appointed watchdog he can't risk actually reading posts or having a calm debate. He has far too many threads to follow and posts to quote to bother doing anything more than skim and bash.  So instead any post that fails to praise Apple strongly enough is immediately attacked and he begins to bark away. It matters not if they have a valid point only that they dared not to praise Apple. It is best to ignore these toothless Chihuahua's here and in real life. They will never stop barking and without teeth they can't bite. 

The truth is that Steve Jobs is not really "dead"... he IS the one known as Tallest Skil, communicating with us from beyond, using a human spiritual channeler established before his death. The location of this channeler and his computer is top secret, broadcasting 22 hours each day.

• Reply 26 of 66
    Quote:

I agree with your post 100% and said as much in my other comments. When I watched the video and the camera panned to the audience there was almost a sense of Fremdschämen which means sort of vicarious shame or embarrassment. The audience just seemed uncomfortable to be there. 

I also just can't understand why no 128GB version. Would it really cost Apple more than a few bucks to switch to 32/64/128? Or at least offer a 128GB version for another $100? This is the same storage they have offered for several years now with no increase while some Android phone can now reach up to 196GB or higher with storage cards. 

Why Rant about 128 gb ? Are you aware that the largest portion of iphone users live in the 32 GB space, and then you have the 64 gb that's a smaller minority. And to top that your looking for 128 gb.. 

Look around you other than the GS4 providing 64gb, there aren't many others at the 64gb point yet.So stop these pointless rants.

• Reply 27 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

Quote:

Why Rant about 128 gb ? Are you aware that the largest portion of iphone users live in the 32 GB space, and then you have the 64 gb that's a smaller minority. And to top that your looking for 128 gb.. 

Look around you other than the GS4 providing 64gb, there aren't many others at the 64gb point yet.So stop these pointless rants.

Calm down. Nobody's 'ranting' about anything. (Look it up if you don't know what the word means).

Why don't you share with us your data for 32 v. 64 iPhone sales. From a credible source, please.

• Reply 28 of 66
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Watching the iPhone 5C video I sensed a subtle, if unintentional dig at the Apple of old (Jobs/Forstall). You had Jony talking about software and Craig talking about how the wallpaper colors were designed to match the hardware. Back when Steve and Scott were still at Apple, software and hardware were designed independently. That's obviously no longer the case and Apple seems to be highlighting that fact more and more.

I thought I was going to hate these colored phones based on some of the leaked photos. But I think they actually look really nice and durable. All the hands on impressions I've read so far say they don't feel or look cheap at all. Of course I should know better than to expect Apple would do something cheap. Once again Apple proved me wrong. :)
  • Reply 29 of 66
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Nokia Microsoft has already jumped in to diss Apple's announcements today. They obviously already had this done and waiting on the keynote.

5 things Apple didn't announce:
    http://www.thinglink.com/scene/432647156990476289
    Honestly I think it just makes these companies look really lame. Plus if Apple is such a has been, not on the bleeding edge, boring, blah, blah, blah, why are other companies still so obsessed about them? Why would you acknowledge something that doesn't matter?
  • Reply 30 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I thought I was going to hate these colored phones based on some of the leaked photos. But I think they actually look really nice and durable. All the hands on impressions I've read so far say they don't feel or look cheap at all. Of course I should know better than to expect Apple would do something cheap. Once again Apple proved me wrong. image

I think the 5Cs -- with the exception of the Yellow -- look gorgeous!

• Reply 31 of 66
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Honestly I think it just makes these companies look really lame. Plus if Apple is such a has been, not on the bleeding edge, boring, blah, blah, blah, why are other companies still so obsessed about them? Why would you acknowledge something that doesn't matter?

Apple only wishes it had Microsoft's insight and instinct into what people actually want. Clearly, Microsoft's marketshare in the phone and tablet space means they're doing something right. And I'm so dissapointed Apple didn't announce the "Nokia Pro Cam" and "Live Tiles". Was really holding my breath or those. 

/s

• Reply 32 of 66
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:

I didn't watch the whole video (I skipped the parts about new Apple stores and others boring PR  bits) but did anyone else notice how subdued the audience was? Very little applause and it was not very enthusiastic. The Apple team on stage also just didn't appear to me at least to be that excited either. The tension and discomfort was almost palpable. Contrast that with the WWDC event and you will quickly see what I mean. 

I really feel like Apple missed a great chance today. The prices needed to be at least $100 less on the 5C, and they also could have doubled the memory to 32/64/128. It was also a great chance to kill the 3.5" and old 30pin for good. Why not just offer a 8G version of the 5C for $100 less off contract or free on contract. That one stumped me. 

Although some will disagree, until Apple releases a larger display or completely changes the case people will view these type of upgrades as very minor and nothing to get excited about. Fingerprint scanners and 64 bit just won't cut it. 

People worried the 5C would cannibalize sales from the 5S but it looks like it is the other way around. Pay $100 more and get a much nicer phone with far more improvements. $549 off contact for the 5C seems far too expensive. I thought $449 to $499 was a little expensive but still cheap enough to really grow market share. 

I have no doubts that both these phones will sell great and beat all previous models in sales numbers but will not help reduce the decline in global market share. It didn't offer a larger display or a cheaper price for the 5C so we have essentially the same line up as yesterday just in more colors.  I just can't help but feel very underwhelmed. While I was watching the video I also got this alert on my iPhone. 

couldn't agree with you more...100%

• Reply 33 of 66
    antkm1 wrote: »
    couldn't agree with you more...100%
    Buy on the rumor sell on the news. Happens to Apple all the time. Then Apple will announce record preorders and first weekend sales and the stock will shoot up again....and the trolls will still be posting here how Apple is doomed.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

From common sense that absolutely anyone paying any manner of attention would have noticed? 

NO LIVESTREAM?! APPLE IS DOOMED. The stock falls after every keynote. Wall Street are idiots.

Leave, then.

Yeah, just leave.

Every single one of Apple's product releases proves you wrong. Stop saying this.

the begining of the presentation was all about live streaming events, yet they didn't live stream this one?  Ironic, or just stupid?

• Reply 35 of 66
    Quote:

Buy on the rumor sell on the news. Happens to Apple all the time. Then Apple will announce record preorders and first weekend sales and the stock will shoot up again....and the trolls will still be posting here how Apple is doomed.

I don't think Apple is doomed, I just think they missed the mark on this event in many ways.  I'm ready to upgrade my iPhone 4, but i'm neither of these phones are too exciting for my wants/needs.  But i have to go Apple since I'm locked into their ecosystem.  So it has to be Apple, and I'm ready now for an upgrade, but none of the options presented are all that exciting.

I need an off-contract phone that I can use in the US and China.  I currently carry 2 phones, an iPod Classic, iPad2 and my MBP.  That's 5 devices (not including my Nikon P&S).  If Apple had released even the iPhone 5S with 128GB of storage, I could go from 5 devices to 2.  Now, that would cost Nearly a grand$ and I would never pay that much for a phone.  So really none of the options presented will solve my wants/needs.

Based on what we've seen.  It might not be until 2014 (Sept) that we see a larger screen iPhone.  And that will upset alot of people in Asia and NON-USA buyers.  In my experiences in China, over the last year, iPhone 5's have been fairly scarce in public, and a lot more 5"-6" Samsungs and others.  People in these countries aren't going to wait for Apple or be that loyal.  And that is going to hurt Apple.

• Reply 36 of 66
    The new iPhones look nice. I'll buy two. Substantial upgrade from my ip4.

But...this event will play on my Apple TV...but the DVD extras that come with movies I pay for won't? Gentlemen...
  • Reply 37 of 66
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

the begining of the presentation was all about live streaming events, yet they didn't live stream this one?  Ironic, or just stupid?

Neither. Were this one out of all other events they had previously streamed, that's another thing.

• Reply 38 of 66

Honestly, was anyone blown away watching this thing?

Then, the price on the 5c??? Why pay that when you could get a way better iPhone for $100 more but yet still have a price too high for the majority of people in emerging markets?

• Reply 39 of 66
    Originally Posted by Irving Muller View Post

Then, the price on the 5c??? Why pay that when you could get a way better iPhone for $100 more

Same reason people bought the iPhone 4S when they could get the 5. Bought the iPhone 4 when you could get the 4S. Bought the 3GS when you could get the 4.

• Reply 40 of 66

Do Apple fanboys go to Android sites and trash Android, or are we just that fortunate to have their company?