First look: Apple's new iPhone 5s and 5c

Comments

• Reply 81 of 246
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John Oi View Post

I am pretty sure Tallest Skil thinks that iPhone is the best phone out there. And nope! :) 

It is... for him and for many people. I also think it's the best phone. For sure, it's the best system / ecosystem. But I wouldn't say it's the best for everyone.

• Reply 82 of 246

I can buy two Nexus 4 phones for the cost of one iPhone 5C.

• Reply 83 of 246
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by goodfellow View Post

And they still wouldn't be as good.  :D

How many folks get good resale value for old Android phones? 

Personally I have either gifted or sold my old iPhones and my original iPhone is still being used - so I don't see where the initial purchase price is a huge deal. When I upgraded to a 4S and gave my wife my old 4 (32GB) I sold her 4 (16GB) for something like $200 - can you even give away a two or three year old Android phone? 

• Reply 84 of 246
    Quote:

Originally Posted by murman View Post

Totally agree, I wanted to get the 5C, but dat price! Sad sack pieces of sh*t Apple! (endearingly) ... Tsk, might as well get the 5S, better value hands down, I like the 5C design a lot more, it looks fun and rugged.

Your sentiment is actually quite common...many sitting on the fence (having to balance cost and desire) feel that way and have that love/hate with Apple products.  I think that the masses will see differentiation between 5s and 5c.  As for you, enjoy your 5s and never look back.

My guess is that more will opt for the 5s than many here think.  The 5c will be reserved for those who are truly budget conscious, want a more rugged device or just love the colors without having to bulk it up with a case.  Folks here are a little too critical about the intro of the 5c and need to mellow out on their 1st World problems.

• Reply 85 of 246
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Something else to remember is Apple didn't lead anyone on in terms of pricing. Apple was completely silent on it. It's not their fault if Wall Street analysts and tech bloggers got it wrong. Also only Apple knows the true cost of building each device. Apple never indicated, hinted or leaked that the colored plastic is cheaper to manufacturer. Again this was journalists and analysts that presumed the "C" in 5C stood for cheap. It's obvious now that it stands for color and the point of it is to provide something that looks and feels new (with a few upgrades from the 5) but is completely different than the flagship 5S. It's about product differentiation, not Apple jumping into a race to the bottom.
  • Reply 86 of 246
    goodfellow wrote: »
    Um, Ok...what's stopping you?
  • Reply 87 of 246

I can buy two Ford Taurus for the price of one Tesla X. No one gives a frick.

• Reply 88 of 246
    notscott wrote: »
    I dislike recent hardware design choices, from last year's iPods to today's iPhones. Granted, I'm not the target demographic (I'm not China), but they look... ugly, and compromised to me.

Not saying that I could do, or that competitors have done, better. Just saying "ick".
    I see. So you think Chinese people like ugly and compromised devices. Got it.
  • Reply 89 of 246
    Quote:

You joined just to say that? I have a Nexus 4 and it's not really a great phone. I hate the camera. I have dust under the front and rear lens. It started showing up within the first week of owning the phone. I REALLY wish I would have held out for the HTC One. I love that phone. Point being, sure you can buy two, but you're buying two crappy phones for the price of one better built phone. LG's build quality and design isn't nearly as good as HTC and Apple. I'm also very curious about the Moto X build. I have a feeling it will also be way better than Googles race to the bottom Nexus 4.

• Reply 90 of 246
    Quote:

And they still wouldn't be as good.  :D

How many folks get good resale value for old Android phones?

The 4 is still quite new. I sold my 3GS, which I bought for $375 new unlocked, for only $100. That was a huge depreciation and I definitely won't be buying either the 4S or the 5C. From my perspective the belief that Apple products don't depreciate is bogus.

I tried out the Nexus 4 at a store and while it is not perfect -- I hate the 3D effects -- it is very good.

• Reply 91 of 246
    arlor wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree. The lettering on the phone back looks awful through those holes. If you have to have a dippy polka dotted case, at least make the lettering line up (or not show at all, as I'd prefer). 

On the other hand, I don't really get cases to begin with. So many people have these beautiful iPhones covered up in a huge-ass Otterbox. Who cares whether your phone is made of aluminum or plastic if you're going to have it covered in rubber and plastic 100% of the time?
    For the people bothered by this...you do realize the 5C is plastic and doesn't require a case?
  • Reply 92 of 246
    Quote:

I REALLY wish I would have held out for the HTC One. I love that phone..... I'm also very curious about the Moto X build. I have a feeling it will also be way better than Googles race to the bottom Nexus 4.

I'm not discouraged, but I agree the HTC One looks better.

You should avoid the Moto X, unless you like having your passwords sent to a Motorola server:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/smartphones/22435/motorola-secretly-spies-droid-phone-users-every-9-minutes-collects-personal-data

• Reply 93 of 246
    Quote:

The 4 is still quite new. I sold my 3GS, which I bought for $375 new unlocked, for only $100. That was a huge depreciation and I definitely won't be buying either the 4S or the 5C. From my perspective the belief that Apple products don't depreciate is bogus.

I tried out the Nexus 4 at a store and while it is not perfect -- I hate the 3D effects -- it is very good.

So you don't own one? I would see if you can borrow one.

• Reply 94 of 246
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    zoolook wrote: »
    $99 is not 10% less than $199. Idiot.

If you add in a 2 year contract, it is.

But the 'good' and 'better' iPhones have always sold quite well - even though they're only $100 less than the 'best' iphone. I don't expect that to change.
  • Reply 95 of 246
    Quote:

I'm not discouraged, but I agree the HTC One looks better.

You should avoid the Moto X, unless you like having your passwords sent to a Motorola server:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/smartphones/22435/motorola-secretly-spies-droid-phone-users-every-9-minutes-collects-personal-data

What? Wow. That's NOT cool. I'll have to look into what's actually going on there. I don't think it's actually sending passwords. It could be anonymous usage statistics. Can you opt out of it?

• Reply 96 of 246
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

For the people bothered by this...you do realize the 5C is plastic and doesn't require a case?

When I was using iPhones I never used a case. I still don't use one on my Nexus 4. I've never wanted to have something ruin the look and feel of the phone. I think some of the color juxtapositions on these new cases are neat, but some are a bit tacky. That's the best part of opinions though. I bet some would disagree with the ones I don't like.

• Reply 97 of 246
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If you add in a 2 year contract, it is.

But the 'good' and 'better' iPhones have always sold quite well - even though they're only $100 less than the 'best' iphone. I don't expect that to change.

This is the major point I'm seeing no one get. This isn't really a "new category" Apple just spiced up the middle ground a bit and lowered the overall BOM cost for that phone to eek out more profits. It's a really smart plan.

• Reply 98 of 246
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dragit View Post

'it didn't feel "cheap" or "plasticky"' no i would hope not as it isn't cheap by any means.

This is the most disappointing release has made in a very long time IMO. They seem to have completely missed the point of "affordable".

They needed to make a phone for half the price of the current iphone, not 10% less... gives a sheet.

A phone that costs much less than what Apple is charging is a money losing product.  Apple has to maintain decent margins, otherwise the analysts and shareholders will get pissed off.  The problem with these other phone mfg that sell $150 phones aren't making any money and all they are doing is screwing up the industry and ultimately the customer.  The reason why Samsung is getting away with it, is because they make it up by the higher end phones and because it's better to run the factories spitting out cheap components and breaking even so they can increase market share, otherwise, they'd have to shut down mfg plants, have less sales, etc. and probably end up dumping chips in landfill.

To expect Apple to make a good $150 is like asking Mercedes Benz to come out with a high quality $15K car.  It'll never happen.  Mercedes has their branding and their market they go after and it isn't the high volume, low cost, low margin products.  The same thing about Apple.  If you want a high quality product, you have to pay for it.  if all you look at is the price, then you'll end up getting something that is made for that price market.  You can't have high quality and cheap.  Those two things almost never exist.   Market share doesn't pay the bills and allow for growth and to pay for research.

The same thing that's been happening and will continue to happen in the PC market will happen to the Android market.  It's just a matter of time.  There have already been a few Android players get out of the industry because they can't make money trying to compete.  That's not good for the consumer.  How would you like it if you bought something based on price only to find out the company exits the industry and you are now high and dry without a company that cares about a product you just paid money for.

Apple's biggest flaws aside from color choices is more that they haven't spit out a larger screen model.  It's nice to see them doing 64 Bit processing this early and because Apple has more experience in transitioning from 32 to 64 bit, they'll probably do a much better and faster job than Android.

It'll probably take Apple all of about 5 years to get all of their users over to 64 bit completely.  3 years until Apple sells nothing but 64 bit processors, and then another 2 years afterwards.  it'll take Android  longer to get the majority of the Android users over to 64 bit.  Maybe even as long as 10 years.  The reason is these companies want to spit out $150 phones running Gingerbread, which is going on 4 years old.  In order for the Android market to move to 64 bit, they would have to first introduce 64 bit, and then they have to get $150 64 bit phones on the market.  Yeah, right, that's going to be at least 5 years from now.  Apple will have all of their iPhones 64 bit 3 years from now and then another 2 years for everyone to obtain them.  How long do you think it's going to take for the Android market to get ALL of the phones sold on the market at 64 bit? A LONG time.  Once that happens, then it's about 2 years afterwards.

Samsung MIGHT introduce a 64 bit S5, or whatever they are going to call it next May, MAYBE.  But how is Google going to do 64 bit? is that with Kit Kat or with the next major release after that?  How long does it take for Android to move to 80% of one OS?  They haven't done that yet. They STILL have about 33% 2.x, about 33% using 4.x and then another 33% using 4.1.x and then 1% using 4.2.x.  4.3?  Hardly anyone uses 4.3.

Bottom line, $150 are just cheap phones being dumped on the market instead of a cheap traditional cell phone.   But that market isn't profitable.

• Reply 99 of 246
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

So what's holding you back.  Why don't you do that and then bother people on the Android Central or Cult of Android sites, then we don't have to read your posts.

• Reply 100 of 246
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    goodfellow wrote: »

One to contain all your malware?