First look: Apple's new iPhone 5s and 5c

Comments

• Reply 101 of 246
    I think that the change from 32 bit to 64 bit is where the real value is added. And where we can see clearly how Apple tries to improve things while Samsung follows the same logic that pc manufacturers used.
    Samsung's idea to improve performance is adding more and more cores.
    Apple just went and found the next step on mobile processors.
    The same applies to the camera, although HTC had already realized that more mega pixels means nothing if that is all you add to the camera.
  • Reply 102 of 246
    denkigrve wrote: »
    You joined just to say that? I have a Nexus 4 and it's not really a great phone. I hate the camera. I have dust under the front and rear lens. It started showing up within the first week of owning the phone. I REALLY wish I would have held out for the HTC One. I love that phone. Point being, sure you can buy two, but you're buying two crappy phones for the price of one better built phone. LG's build quality and design isn't nearly as good as HTC and Apple. I'm also very curious about the Moto X build. I have a feeling it will also be way better than Googles race to the bottom Nexus 4.

I have the Moto X. It's a very nice phone. Moto has always made quality phones, they just lost track and made ugly ones...until this one. Build quality is solid, I love that it is almost stock Android, and the touch less controls have my iPhone friends a bit jealous even though they think I'm crazy for leaving the iPhone.

And so for now, I have an Android phone with iPads and iMacs in the house :-). Living in harmony.
  • Reply 103 of 246
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I have the Moto X. It's a very nice phone. Moto has always made quality phones, they just lost track and made ugly ones...until this one. Build quality is solid, I love that it is almost stock Android, and the touch less controls have my iPhone friends a bit jealous even though they think I'm crazy for leaving the iPhone.

And so for now, I have an Android phone with iPads and iMacs in the house :-). Living in harmony.

Haha that's how I'm living right now. I'm trying out Android on the Nexus 4, but I'm still deep in the iOS ecosystem with my iPad. I also have both a PC and two macs. My household is a model for tech diversity. I support whatever looks cool. What about that sending moto information thing? Is that just anonymous user data? Can you disable that in settings?

• Reply 104 of 246
    The one thing I was hoping Apple to really find a "magical" improvement is battery life.

Right when Phil was talking about the M7 and how it all affects battery life, I was waiting for him to say something like "not only is this new processor twice as fast, now battery life is twice as long".
  • Reply 105 of 246
    So disappointing!
    No black? Really?
    and gaudy lollypop colours on an AU$800 plastic phone...

cheap, nasty, tacky... these are not kiddie products!

and those covers! I J Ive on holidays?

and ... after all of the hullabaloo about price gouging in the Australian market this one comes in at an extra $190 on top - a 33% slug!

Probably some of Apple's dumbest pricing/product decisions yet...

Samsung is beginning to look good!
  • Reply 106 of 246
    Originally Posted by working dog 

[post]

Shut up and go away. We don't care.

• Reply 107 of 246
    Is it me or is the 5C just a 5 with a plastic colored body,? I guess that's why they call it the color because that's what it is, however now apple has produced 1-original, 2-3s(3G,3GS)two 4s, 3 5s (5,5c,5s) this it a rather weird naming system for phones, but power to the people with it.
  • Reply 108 of 246

I'm still missing who they are targeting with the 5c that wouldnt just buy the 5s if there wasnt a 5c.   They must really need help this quarter releasing both phones to every market they are in.  Something else better be coming or EPS will be around $30 a share this time next year.

• Reply 109 of 246
    Quote:

Originally Posted by working dog View Post

So disappointing!

No black? Really?

and gaudy lollypop colours on an AU$800 plastic phone...

cheap, nasty, tacky... these are not kiddie products!

and those covers! I J Ive on holidays?

and ... after all of the hullabaloo about price gouging in the Australian market this one comes in at an extra $190 on top - a 33% slug!

Probably some of Apple's dumbest pricing/product decisions yet...

Samsung is beginning to look good!

What? You joined just to say this? Come on dude. AUS pricing is ALWAYS higher. Don't act like the high prices for electronics is anything new. I have friends that come to the US for business and buy their electronics here to save money. I'm talking about Xbox, PS3, computers, cameras, etc. Not just phones. The pricing is exactly the same as it was in the past. Absolutely nothing has changed. Try harder next time to actually do some research instead of attempt to troll and flame. If Apple came out and said "This is a low cost phone" I could understand complaints, but they said "we're replacing the iPhone 5" That's it. If you look at the companies history, nothing has changed.

I'm really tired of you Android trolls making all of us Android users look bad. Please stop.

• Reply 110 of 246
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Is it me or is the 5C just a 5 with a plastic colored body,? I guess that's why they call it the color because that's what it is, however now apple has produced 1-original, 2-3s(3G,3GS)two 4s, 3 5s (5,5c,5s) this it a rather weird naming system for phones, but power to the people with it.

It's basically a way to move iPhone 5 to the middle tier and save money on the production so your profits rise. The 4S was still selling very well after the iPhone 5 launched. Not everyone cares about tech specs like folks that read blogs. They just want whatever phone works for them at the price they want to hit. I think this is a funner way to handle that mid price point instead of just more of the same. It shakes those things up a bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkell31 View Post

I'm still missing who they are targeting with the 5c that wouldnt just buy the 5s if there wasnt a 5c.   They must really need help this quarter releasing both phones to every market they are in.  Something else better be coming or EPS will be around $30 a share this time next year.

See my response above. They are targeting the middle tier purchasers that don't care about tech specs. Not everyone desires the latest tech specs. This is the same thing that was said when the iPod mini came out. "Who would buy that?" Then it turned into a run away success.

• Reply 111 of 246
    Could we please just not respond to the OBVIOUS troll post? There seems to be no real comment about the new phones, just troll fighting.
  • Reply 112 of 246
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I see. So you think Chinese people like ugly and compromised devices. Got it.

No I'm not looking to make that point or to begin an argument. If it's well-loved, that's fine. Just not my style. My take on it is as I said. I suspect millions will have their own contexts, styles, and viewpoints that are favorable. I love Apple and am looking at four devices right now (MacBook Pro, iPhone 5, iPad and Apple TV), I just really have no lust for these and find them gaudy.

• Reply 113 of 246
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

For the people bothered by this...you do realize the 5C is plastic and doesn't require a case?

Regardless of the price or the material, people still want to protect their phone from scratches. Consider women for example, who keep their phone in a handbag along side car keys and various other objects like cosmetic stuff that could leave scratches on an iPhone. They do have some strange things in those purses. They need and want cases if not just for scratch protection but also for individualization. I also see many women carrying the iPhone in hand while walking so they are the primary buyers of third party cases as most men I know just prefer to keep a case-less phone in their front pants pocket.

• Reply 114 of 246
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    john oi wrote: »
    LOL. Did Apple really copy Samsung Galaxy's burst mode?.... Wow.
    Huh? I've had burst mode for photography since the 80s.
  • Reply 115 of 246
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Huh? I've had burst mode for photography since the 80s.

Yep, even before cameras went digital, correct me if I'm wrong, SLRs cameras with burst mode operated this way, set it to burst mode, hold the shutter button to keep shooting, in those days you'd need a motor drive addition to the camera, (I like cameras, never had pro equipment). But to idiot trolls, Samsung invented burst mode, f**king tools.

• Reply 116 of 246
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

After only hearing about the fingerprint sensor as the new feature of the 5s I half expected Apple to come out and pull a rabbit out of its hat.  Instead it feels like the magician didn't even show up.  No wonder all the execs were dumping shares about a month ago.

• Reply 117 of 246
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John Oi View Post

What I'm trying to say is that it's kinda funny how Apple implements their own version of "burst mode" after Samsung.

Samsung neither invented burst mode nor was the first to have it in a smartphone camera.  I've had an app on the iPhone for a few years now that takes a rapid succession of shots.  I bet similar apps existed for Android prior to Samsung's implementation.  Are you seriously trying pump up Samsung by saying they baked it into the stock camera first?  Whoop-dee-do.

• Reply 118 of 246
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Shut up and go away. We don't care.

And neither apparently does Apple.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denkigrve View Post

If Apple came out and said "This is a low cost phone" I could understand complaints, but they said "we're replacing the iPhone 5" That's it.

But others are reporting it as such

Apple launches low-cost smartphone

Apple Expected to Increase Marketing Presence Abroad with Low-Cost iPhone

Apple's Low-Cost iPhone 5c Officially Announced - IGN?

Apple unveils iPhone 5C, a new, low-cost iPhone

• Reply 119 of 246
    Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

But others are reporting it as such

Who gives a frick what "others" say?

• Reply 120 of 246
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Who is this phone targeting, and who wouldn't spend $100 more to get the premium model, with faster processor, Touch ID, better camera etc.?

I happen to think that the 5C looks decent, for a plastic phone, I just think that Apple now has introduced a new model of iPhone that is priced almost the same as the premium model. $100 difference is nothing.

"Faster processor, Touch ID, better camera etc."  You stopped at "etc". Do you think a 16 yr old girl cares about those things? Or does she care about "OMG Pink!"? "With a purple case!". Teens and college kids have access to disposable income. Apple is ready to take it from them. 

BTW, who wants a tablet that is just a large iPhone that can't make calls? Just cuz YOU don't see the market, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.