First look: Apple's new iPhone 5s and 5c

Comments

• Reply 141 of 246
    curious g wrote: »
    I wonder if the double tap to playback music is gone...I kinda liked that feature. This TouchID button looks like it is a static button.

With the new iPhone you just say, "Play it again Siri."
    This TouchID button looks like it is a static button.

it is...
  • Reply 142 of 246
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I can buy two Ford Taurus for the price of one Tesla X. No one gives a frick.

Yeah, well first you need two nickels to rub together. 

• Reply 143 of 246
    shahhet2 wrote: »
    Engadget had video demonstrating fingerprint sensor unlock. It did looked fast and took less time then you enter passcode. But video showed that it falsed to siri couple of times as well. Guessing it will be corrected by the time it launches.
    Falsed to Siri? Probable operator error. Getting to Siri requires pressing and holding the home button. The unlock feature operates on sensing the presence of the finger - no clicking of the home button is required. Remember it senses when your finger is in position, that's what the ring around the button is for.
  • Reply 144 of 246
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curious G View Post

I wonder if the double tap to playback music is gone...I kinda liked that feature. This TouchID button looks like it is a static button.

That went away on all iOS devices with iOS 7. Double-tap now brings up multi-tasking. Control center has those controls now, and is one swipe up from the bottom to bring up.

From the design page on Apple.com it looks like it's a sensor within the home button. So the button still works as a button, but also as a touch sensor when it's time to unlock or make iTunesStore purchases. As a technophile, it's kind of cool! 

• Reply 145 of 246
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

With the new iPhone you just say, "Play it again Siri."

it is...

I've been missing the Siri wagon for some time now...still on the iPhone 4 although I picked up the 5 for my wife when it came out. I'm definitely due for mobile device upgrades...still using the original iPad but picked up the new 13" air last Christmas. If Apple crams all this tech into the next iPad, they are definitely getting more of my money.

• Reply 146 of 246
    shahhet2 wrote: »
    I believe real use of touch id will come when api becomes available and third party apps can use it to bypass password (email app, shopping etc) For now it is limited to screen unlock and iTunes store purchase only.

First off, When Apple introduced iOS7 several months ago, they said that third-party apps will have greater access to what has been "Apple only" APIs up until this release.

Secondly, until Apple announced this feature today, no one but Apple could have written this feature into their code. So no third-party developers have had a chance to include this into their apps.

Finally, be patient young grasshopper. All will come to pass in its time.
  • Reply 147 of 246
    curious g wrote: »
    I've been missing the Siri wagon for some time now...still on the iPhone 4 although I picked up the 5 for my wife when it came out. I'm definitely due for mobile device upgrades...still using the original iPad but picked up the new 13" air last Christmas. If Apple crams all this tech into the next iPad, they are definitely getting more of my money.

Wellll, are you in for a treat!! iOS7 will be for current and past iPads back to iPad 2 in a few more days. As for me, I'm choosing the Barbara Eden Siri voice with the new release.
  • Reply 148 of 246
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    First off, When Apple introduced iOS7 several months ago, they said that third-party apps will have greater access to what has been "Apple only" APIs up until this release.

Secondly, until Apple announced this feature today, no one but Apple could have written this feature into their code. So no third-party developers have had a chance to include this into their apps.

Finally, be patient young grasshopper. All will come to pass in its time.
    Also my guess is Apple wants to make sure this works and works well before they allow 3rd party apps access to it. This is something to take very seriously and I think people might be a bit nervous with 3rd party apps having access to this.
  • Reply 149 of 246
    mikejones wrote: »
    Yeah, I've never understood the cases that specifically cut out the section over the Apple logo. Are people really that vain? I have a normal case on my iPhone that covers the entire back minus the camera. As you said, anyone who looks will know what it is without me having to vainly flash around the Apple logo to the world. It's a phone not a fashion accessory.
    It's better to completely cover the logo than to partially cover it IMHO. This way it reads Pho. Not a good move I think.
  • Reply 150 of 246

Don't understand some of the comments and complaints. This is the iPhone5S (5.5) a mid-cycle phone same as other "S" models. The S models have always been mid-life upgrades with a new this and slightly improved that, but the same design in general. They don't update the design & feel of the iPhone until a new number update. The 4 was a lot different than the 3, the 5 was very different from the 4, and I'm sure the 6 will be a new design from the 5. If you want a new design, wait 12 months. If you're still on a 4/4S then this is a great upgrade to me. I like the gold color phone, not sure I'd buy it, but I like it. Thankfully, I got the 5, so I'm on pace for the 6 next year.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don't get the sourness.

• Reply 151 of 246
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    I don't think I've seen this much fear in the anti-Apple crowd for quite some time. Bodes well for the 5C.

"I can buy two crap phones for the price of a good one."

Seriously?
  • Reply 152 of 246

I find it funny how they are really de-emphasising the white iPhone 5s this time around.  It's hard to even find a clear picture of it on their website.  They have that horrible gold model front and centre.  I find the whole website presentation a bit tacky and garish this time around also.  Perhaps they are finally losing the mojo.  

I'll take bets right now that the iWatch is if not a flop, then something that has a lukewarm reception, and that they struggle in the living room for the next decade as much as they have this past decade.  Apple, the "good but not great" company?  

• Reply 153 of 246
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Denkigrve View Post

That went away on all iOS devices with iOS 7. Double-tap now brings up multi-tasking. Control center has those controls now, and is one swipe up from the bottom to bring up.

From the design page on Apple.com it looks like it's a sensor within the home button. So the button still works as a button, but also as a touch sensor when it's time to unlock or make iTunesStore purchases. As a technophile, it's kind of cool! 

Double-tap to play back music on ever worked on the lock screen AFAIK.  So it could still be there.  I think the OP was believing it was gone based on the erroneous idea that the button didn't physically move anymore. 

• Reply 154 of 246
    The keynote was pretty lame. Bragging about a publicity stunt of free concerts in London was the big kickoff. Yawn. Elvis Costello strumming a fuzzy sounding guitar and singing through a fuzzy sounding microphone was the grand finale. Yawn.

Having Ive providing very slow voiceover over a video showing how precisely Apple can rout a hole in a piece of plastic was not exactly thrilling. They even made a big deal out of the alert sounds, for goodness sake.

This was the lamest Apple presentation I've seen and I've been watching them from the very first webcast. What they had to say of any importance could have been said in fifteen minutes.

And then there is the look of the products. I don't find any of the 5c or 5s designs attractive (although there must be a ton of beehive wearing retired ladies in Florida who would love the gold one). A barf colored leather case is hardly chic.

It was a bit embarrassing to see Schiller trying to make the boring stuff seem as great as the good stuff. Everyone on stage was straining in pretty much the same way.

The 5s is a good phone with a lot of processing and graphics power, but considering how all the competitors have caught up with most of the capabilities yet with larger screens (which is pretty much all that the average consumer cares about), Apple dropped the ball in a very big way. They should have been able to see the screen size thing coming two years ago, but considering that the CEO is about as left brained and process-over-product oriented as they come, the company has lost its fire, at least for the forseeable future.
  • Reply 155 of 246
    john oi wrote: »
    What I'm trying to say is that it's kinda funny how Apple implements their own version of "burst mode" after Samsung.
    In case you didn't notice, they did it i h better, in or pirating many advanced features for multiple shot functionality besides just burst mode. Watch the video on their site.
  • Reply 156 of 246

I caught the "hon" thing as well. They couldn't even line up the art with the factory cases?

• Reply 157 of 246
    You really need to go get yourself a good education as you clearly are clues.
  • Reply 158 of 246

Is it just me or are the trolls out in force today?

• Reply 159 of 246
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I find it funny how they are really de-emphasising the white iPhone 5s this time around.  It's hard to even find a clear picture of it on their website.  They have that horrible gold model front and centre.  I find the whole website presentation a bit tacky and garish this time around also.  Perhaps they are finally losing the mojo.  

I'll take bets right now that the iWatch is if not a flop, then something that has a lukewarm reception, and that they struggle in the living room for the next decade as much as they have this past decade.  Apple, the "good but not great" company?  
    I find it funny that you think the gold model is horrible and tacky when not one hands on review that I read referred to it that way. In fact Jim Dalrymple said he's probably going to get the gold one. And this is what John Gruber said on his site:
    "Then there’s goldie. I can’t say it’s my cup of tea, but it does look good, and not at all cheesy. Maybe a little blingy, but my hunch is that it’s going to prove wildly popular. If one color 5S proves harder to get than the others, it’s going to be the gold one I think."
  • Reply 160 of 246
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TYancy View Post

The keynote was pretty lame. Bragging about a publicity stunt of free concerts in London was the big kickoff. Yawn. Elvis Costello strumming a fuzzy sounding guitar and singing through a fuzzy sounding microphone was the grand finale. Yawn.

Having Ive providing very slow voiceover over a video showing how precisely Apple can rout a hole in a piece of plastic was not exactly thrilling. They even made a big deal out of the alert sounds, for goodness sake.

This was the lamest Apple presentation I've seen and I've been watching them from the very first webcast. What they had to say of any importance could have been said in fifteen minutes.

And then there is the look of the products. I don't find any of the 5c or 5s designs attractive (although there must be a ton of beehive wearing retired ladies in Florida who would love the gold one). A barf colored leather case is hardly chic.

It was a bit embarrassing to see Schiller trying to make the boring stuff seem as great as the good stuff. Everyone on stage was straining in pretty much the same way.

The 5s is a good phone with a lot of processing and graphics power, but considering how all the competitors have caught up with most of the capabilities yet with larger screens (which is pretty much all that the average consumer cares about), Apple dropped the ball in a very big way. They should have been able to see the screen size thing coming two years ago, but considering that the CEO is about as left brained and process-over-product oriented as they come, the company has lost its fire, at least for the forseeable future.

Only a segment of the population cares about larger screens. I know I'm one of them, but I run into a LOT of iPhone users that don't want a bigger screen.  They like the fact that it isn't a big bulky phone.  I only want a bigger screen due to my eyesight sucks.  I think they did what they felt they had to do.  While Apple might miss here and there, I think they'll do well.  Once they spit out a larger screen model, then things will be OK again.  If all you are interested in is a large screen, then yes, I'm sure you were bored.  I personally liked the fact that they are moving into 64 bit this year rather than next.  That will permeate to the iPad and I'm sure we'll see a lot of growth in the iPad market for some really cool apps.

The little Elvis concert at the end was what it was, the sediment was there, but it's a small venue to pull anything bigger off.  Obviously, the engineer manning the board didn't have enough time to get a proper sound check.  What they did in London is something they want to do and it's at least something.  I personally would enjoy it if they had a jazz oriented concert series instead of the pop based music, but that's my tastes.  I think getting access to a bunch of free concerts that are professionally done is something I don't see anyone else doing.  It costs Apple a big pile of money to do that and the should get some free publicity over it, in the end, it's not free publicity.  I would rather they spend the money on having free entertainment than watches ads.  Which would you like?  More ads?  Consider those concerts a free perk for owning an Apple product. Do you know how much others would charge if it was a for profit concert series?  A LOT of money to get all of those concerts.

Either way, I like the job on the 5s as it gives me hope that the next iPad will be 64bit, their larger screen iPhone will be 64 bit and Android users are going to have to wait a LOT longer to get 64 bit.  I don't even think Android 4.4 will be 64 bit.  If so, none of the phones and tablets released this year so far aren't using 64 bit OSs.  I think Android users will have to wait until Android 5 hits in a year or longer and then it will take a while for them to spit out 64 bit models.  I think Apple's in the cat birds seat on this one.  BIG TIME.