No iPhone 5s preorder period hints at supply constraints ahead of Sept. 20 launch

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57

The price for the iPhone 5S in Australia starts from 869 for the 16 GB, 999 for the 32GB and 1129 for the 64 GB, its signifactly higher than the 5 when it first came out last year, WTF. 

• Reply 42 of 57
    I think they just want to sell more 5Cs?
  • Reply 43 of 57
    ohm007 wrote: »
    The price for the iPhone 5S in Australia starts from 869 for the 16 GB, 999 for the 32GB and 1129 for the 64 GB, its signifactly higher than the 5 when it first came out last year, WTF. 

Over here it went from €874 to €899; 3% increase. This is for the 64, including tax. What's the increase overe there, percentage wise?
  • Reply 44 of 57
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Lack of pre-order is RIDICULOUS. Has nothing to do with lack of supply. Has everything to do with Tim Cook's ridiculous "plan" for increasing in-store iPhone sales.

Do we forget already that this guy has been calling meetings and talking at length about supposed new strategies for increasing iPhone sales in store?

Yea, this is his 'Master'. He discovered an incontrovertible fact: People don't buy iPhones in the Apple Store because the experience is miserable. Whether it is the day after launch or 6 months after launch, the Apple store is not a pleasant place to buy ANYTHING.

The experience is always the same. The place is flooded with greasy sweaty loud people who aren't buying anything...just slobbering all over the free toys Apple puts out. The rest of the people are actual customers, support customers, training customers, all of whom are wading through the sea of sweaty people trying to get some help from a blue shirt.

They even introduced EasyPay because their stores require it: Forget trying to buy an iPhone case, you'd be there all day waiting for a blue shirt who has a free moment to check you out.

And this is the experience on a regular basis. Now add a LAUNCH DAY into the mix, and the disaster becomes intolerable.

Tim, people only buy iPhones at Apple Stores out of absolute necessity. They do not do it out of convenience, because it is not convenient. They do not do it out of pleasure, because it is not pleasurable. It is a nightmare, and nothing more.

So Cook says well, I still want more iPhone sales in-store. So let's eliminate pre-orders, and force a few million people who would have otherwise pre-ordered (for the purpose of launch day delivery) travel to a store to make their purchase, and simultaneously accomplish my goal and make the illusion of a more popular launch with the media.

Disgusting, pathetic tactics. I won't bite. I will order my 5S online on the 20th (the moment it becomes possible) and just wait for it to arrive, I guess Monday or Tuesday? Way to treat customers Apple. By Tuesday I could probably walk in to AT&T and pick one up with no line.

• Reply 45 of 57
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post
    ***Apple presentations. Not mandatory to watch***

PROOF.

Originally Posted by pmz View Post
    Lack of pre-order is RIDICULOUS. Has nothing to do with lack of supply. Has everything to do with Tim Cook's ridiculous "plan" for increasing in-store iPhone sales.

Which you know because… 

… 

Er… 

Also, they're the same price in the store as online. Why would this be a desire? Apple already makes more per square foot than anyone, and has for at least seven years.

Do we forget already that this guy has been calling meetings and talking at length about supposed new strategies for increasing iPhone sales in store? 

We (you) forgot the part where you don't have the first effing clue what is actually going on at Apple.

Yea, this is his 'Master'. He discovered an incontrovertible fact: People don't buy iPhones in the Apple Store because the experience is miserable. Whether it is the day after launch or 6 months after launch, the Apple store is not a pleasant place to buy ANYTHING.

Thanks for pretending your incorrect opinions are true.

Quote:
    Disgusting, pathetic tactics. I won't bite. I will order my 5S online on the 20th (the moment it becomes possible) and just wait for it to arrive,

Yeah, you can't… pre-order it there anyway, so you're neither "falling for" nor "avoiding" any imaginary "tactics" they've set up.

Way to treat customers Apple.

How dare Apple make their products available to their customers! Shame.

• Reply 46 of 57

So I basically have to convince myself that the launch date is really 10/20/2013... I've waited this long, what's another month?

• Reply 47 of 57
    Originally Posted by rewalker81 View Post

So I basically have to convince myself that the launch date is really 10/20/2013... I've waited this long, what's another month?

… Nine days is a month now?

• Reply 48 of 57

He must be from Uranus. :lol:
  • Reply 49 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Huh???  The launch date is 9/20.... I don't have time to waste in line and there is no pre-order... So I just have to convenience myself that the real launch date is 10/20 (a month later) and pick one up then...

• Reply 50 of 57
    Originally Posted by rewalker81 View Post

Huh???  The launch date is 9/20.... I don't have time to waste in line and there is no pre-order... So I just have to convenience myself that the real launch date is 10/20 (a month later) and pick one up then...

I see… but… why? Apple gets new shipments every week. You could very easily get one before the end of September.

• Reply 51 of 57
    rewalker81 wrote: »

Just order it on launch day. What's so hard to understand?
  • Reply 52 of 57
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Oh, WHAT am I thinking… of COURSE! Just do this. You may not get it early, but you'll have it freaking ordered.

• Reply 53 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I realize that, sorry for the sarcasm... I just have a feeling that if you don't get one the day of... it will be a few weeks... So if get one before 10/20 then I over achieved!

• Reply 54 of 57
    Oh, WHAT am I thinking… of COURSE! Just do this. You may not get it early, but you'll have it freaking ordered.

I guess he doesn't understand the difference between 'no pre-orders' vs 'no orders', the things that trip people up is mind boggling.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    rewalker81 wrote: »
    I realize that, sorry for the sarcasm... I just have a feeling that if you don't get one the day of... it will be a few weeks... So if get one before 10/20 then I over achieved!

It's not going to be any different than if you pre-order it other than you'll get it a few days later. You just have to wait until launch day instead of a week earlier. Next time use the sarcasm indicator /s because sarcasm isn't always obvious.
  • Reply 56 of 57
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Well that's pretty GD ridiculous. Way to go, Tim. Weren't you supposed to be some kind of logistics genius? Why is it then that every product launch under your leadership has been a complete mess?

This, folks, is a classic example of a self-entitlement, without a shred of context, reason, or perspective. 

Name me one other company on the planet that launches and sells several million smartphones in a single weekend, in dozens of countries. Nevermind phones that are so meticulously manufactured as the ones Apple makes. No other company does, or can do, what Apple achieves with these launches. Apple is in a league of it's own, so your comment is beyond mind-numbingly stupid. So yes, Tim is a genius. And your last statement is not only an utter lie, it's an epic lie. The only launch I can think of that was somewhat of a mess is the iMac launch. Almost everything else as shattered all records, and have been the most successful launches in Apple's history. Stop being so fucking myopic. Will every single person in the world that wants an iPhone 5S be able to get it the SECOND it's released? No, but I'm sure they'll survive, so will you. Find something more worthwhile to rant about, instead of mocking someone who has proven himself thousands of times, and was instrumental in making Apple what it is today, and hand-picked by Jobs to lead the company.

• Reply 57 of 57
    slurpy wrote: »
    cash907 wrote: »
    Well that's pretty GD ridiculous. Way to go, Tim. Weren't you supposed to be some kind of logistics genius? Why is it then that every product launch under your leadership has been a complete mess?
    ^ post

Excellent rebuttal, point of view, fact giving post!