First look: Apple's new iPhone 5s and 5c

Comments

• Reply 201 of 246
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John Oi View Post

What I'm trying to say is that it's kinda funny how Apple implements their own version of "burst mode" after Samsung.

What I'm trying to say is that it's kinda funny how Samsung implements their own touchscreen phone after Apple.

• Reply 202 of 246
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Many people will actually prefer the colorful look and feel of the 5C and will choose it because they don't need the extra features of the 5S.

Think teenagers.

You obviously don't have any teenagers in your household and perhaps you completely missed the keynote yesterday. The 2 main features of the 5S announcement yesterday were totally directed at the teenage market. Much faster gaming performance and better camera with slo-mo and burst shooting. My kids main phone usage is uploading images/videos to social media sites and gaming. 

I showed my daughter the photos of the new 5C with case yesterday and she went "eeugh!"

Any parent worth their salt knows how much these phones really cost on-contract and it's more like $1300 over 2 years. 

• Reply 203 of 246
    Dear fan-droids.
    Only cheap thing in here is your shameless jealousy. Hope you have enough money one day to have an iPhone. Until there, wish u a pleasant sex with your awkward devices.

Best regards ;)
  • Reply 204 of 246
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yeah, well first you need two nickels to rub together. 

Yeah, you'd think these people who apparently can't even afford food would be less concerned about getting the best smartphone in the world for free.

Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

Anyone who buy it are "suckers" since they are buying the 5 in plastic case and the 5S is only $100 more and you get the next generation technology as well as a fingerprint reader security and better camera!

Yep! Just like all those suckers who bought the iPhone 3G when they could have gotten the iPhone 3GS for… Or the iPhone 3GS when they could have gotten the iPhone 4 for… Or the iPhone 4 when they could have gotten the iPhone 4S for… Or the iPhone 4S when they could have gotten the iPhone 5 for… 

Or maybe you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

Pricing is all wrong... 99$ on a 2 year contract is premium, not low end... and then they cancelled the iPhone 5 and kept the 4S? w. t. f.

Which you know, because you, personally, are the entire market for this device. Think about what Apple has created here. Fine, I'll do it for you.

Let's pretend you don't know anything… about today's announcements. Therefore, your assumption as to Apple's phone lineup after September 10 is thus:

iPhone 5S: $199, black and white

iPhone 5: $99, black and white

iPhone 4S: $0, black and white

Sounds right, yeah? Do I need to explain how I got those numbers before we move on? Please tell me I don't. Do I need to explain why you thought this would be the lineup? A hint to the answer is this: analysts are worthless pieces of trash who know absolutely nothing and should never be listened to. Right, now, Apple does their thing yesterday. They shake it up a bit. Now, this is the lineup.

iPhone 5S: $199, black, white, and champagne

iPhone 5C: $99, white, blue, green, yellow, pink

iPhone 4S: $0, black and white

Huh. Look at that. Let's underline the similarities now to see how far Apple has deviated from what you thought before. Were those underlines confusing you until now? Here's the answer.

Looks like… a lot of similarities. In fact, where it deviates at all, there are only more options, not less. Now, I'm not going to pull up sales charts of past middle iPhones. You can do that yourself. But I figure, and this is just a guess on my part, that since the middle iPhone has historically been THE SECOND BEST SELLING PHONE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD for most of its product run, that this new middle iPhone which has ONLY MORE OPTIONS TO OFFER THE CONSUMER AND BETTER HARDWARE SPECS THAN THE IPHONE 5 ITSELF HAD will sell. Pretty well. 

Originally Posted by ergnglcn View Post

Dear fan-droids.

Only cheap thing in here is your shameless jealousy. Hope you have enough money one day to have an iPhone. Until there, wish u a pleasant sex with your awkward devices.

You. I like you.

• Reply 205 of 246
    kedakeda Posts: 722member

I haven't seen this many trolls in one place for a while.  Apple's new iPhones must be very threatening to these guys.

However, the nice hardware is really only a fraction of the experience.  Apple takes responsibility for, and delivers, a full experience to its users.  In this context, the device is merely a vessel that facilitates the interaction.  Yes, it can be elegantly designed and have new features, but the OS will ultimately dictate the user's satisfaction with the platform.

For all of the talk about look and incremental improvements of the new iPhones, the media (and the very sad people who troll forums) seem to have overlooked the degree to which iOS7 is advancing the quality of the Apple experience.  While Samsung may be able to produce silicone, it will never be able to control the full experience of delivered by its Android devices.  Ultimately, the pace of hardware-level change will slow and software will remain the key differentiator in the way people interact with their phone.

No wonder the trolls feel threatened.

• Reply 206 of 246
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Very good post, I think you nailed Apples thinking. Although I suspect the larger screen will also be on the flagship model next year(possible before 5c for reasons you mention above).

Just me, but I for one would like all this new tech in a 3.5 inch screen phone. I have too many use scenarios where smaller is better(but definitely understand the rationale for larger screens, IMO Apple is leaving some cash on the table not having a 4.9 inch model and a bit more customizable home screen/keyboard features... Intuition it's coming though).

Apple hasn't yet picked the screen size for their larger screen model, and I'm sure they are evaluating the IGZO technology due to being able to get much higher resolution.  Once they figure out the screen size, then it'll take at least 4 to 6 months before they can announce, since they have to not only design the entire product, but they have to get FCC approvals, etc.  So, hopefully they'll have a larger screen model in 6 months time frame which would actually be good since if they announced all three models at once, they probably would have major production issues since they would have a TON of people lining up to buy all three.  I think flip flopping iPhone announcements every 6 months would be good from a production standpoint but also from an income standpoint.  It would increase their sales throughout the year instead of cramming all of the product announces in the last quarter of the year.

• Reply 207 of 246
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Apple hasn't yet picked the screen size for their larger screen model, and I'm sure they are evaluating the IGZO technology due to being able to get much higher resolution.  Once they figure out the screen size, then it'll take at least 4 to 6 months before they can announce, since they have to not only design the entire product, but they have to get FCC approvals, etc.  So, hopefully they'll have a larger screen model in 6 months time frame which would actually be good since if they announced all three models at once, they probably would have major production issues since they would have a TON of people lining up to buy all three.  I think flip flopping iPhone announcements every 6 months would be good from a production standpoint but also from an income standpoint.  It would increase their sales throughout the year instead of cramming all of the product announces in the last quarter of the year.

That may be why they kept the 4S alive.  In 6 months the lineup might look like

IP6(Bigscreen) $199

IP5S($99)

IP5C($0)

• Reply 208 of 246
    Apple is losing it's market the only thing that people wanted was a larger screen iphone. It is amazing when a company is so proud and does not accept the new standard made by competition. This is stubborn from a leading tech company. And it's amazing how greedy they are. I switch to Samsung because of that. And I'm not sure my next computer will be an apple. Sometimes pc are just faster. I don't understand their policy. Just compare a sony z1 with the latest iphone. I am sorry to say better the sony. I watched the K note and I saw all guys from apple quite embarassed for coming out with such little improvments in a momentum when all other companies are doing their best. So Iphone will loose it's market share it's evident. The Ipad will resist another year I guess, but then it will start the decline. How incredible from such a great company to not understand his customer.

I was an apple fan now i started to be disappointed.

I am nobody but I am sure many people think as I do.

Profits will destroy apple.
  • Reply 209 of 246
    Originally Posted by ferraferro

Apple is losing it's market

No. Every single chart says otherwise.

…the only thing that people wanted was a larger screen iPhone

No. This is patently false. Many people don't want a larger iPhone. Larger screens become unusable.

…the new standard made by competition.

No. The new "standard" is a worthless piece of crap. The new "standard" exists because they're all too stupid and lazy to make a compact phone with the best hardware on the market.

And I'm not sure my next computer will be an apple. Sometimes pc are just faster.

No. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. No.

I don't understand their policy.

Try, then.

Just compare a sony z1 with the latest iphone. I am sorry to say better the sony.

I'm sorry to say that we're not playing by golf rules.

• Reply 210 of 246
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraferro View Post

Apple is losing it's market the only thing that people wanted was a larger screen iphone. It is amazing when a company is so proud and does not accept the new standard made by competition. This is stubborn from a leading tech company. And it's amazing how greedy they are. I switch to Samsung because of that. And I'm not sure my next computer will be an apple. Sometimes pc are just faster. I don't understand their policy. Just compare a sony z1 with the latest iphone. I am sorry to say better the sony. I watched the K note and I saw all guys from apple quite embarassed for coming out with such little improvments in a momentum when all other companies are doing their best. So Iphone will loose it's market share it's evident. The Ipad will resist another year I guess, but then it will start the decline. How incredible from such a great company to not understand his customer.

I was an apple fan now i started to be disappointed.

I am nobody but I am sure many people think as I do.

Profits will destroy apple.

Apple obviously didn't want to introduce a larger screen phone until they figure out what the right size is.  They have to look at the market, the technology available  and  then design the thing. I think it'll be out around March of next year, but don't quote me on that if it doesn't happen.  IT is just a guess, but I was right about them releasing a 64 bit iPhone 5s.  Now, apply that same thing, Samsung won't be introducing 64 bit for a while.  Remember, Google has to first announce 64 bit support from the OS, then they have to get 64 bit chips to use and then it's about  6 to 12 month design cycle.  I haven't heard of any other mfg spitting out 64 bit processor samples for the Android market yet.  Have you? 

So, if 64 bit processing is important, Apple will have it much sooner than Android.  And how long is it going to take for s/w programmers to update Android apps to 64 bit?  DIdn't the guys that wrote Infinity Blade say it only took them 2 hours for their iOS version?  Normally, it takes a LOT longer than that.  Since Google has absolutely no experience going form 32 bit to 64 bit processing, how long is it going to take the Android market to switch?  Don't hold your breath, I think Google would have a spit out a 64 bit Nexus phone/tablet first, which may not happen this year, that might be a year from now, and then 6 months later you'll see Samsung and others.    It could get ugly for Android.  Oh well.  Too bad for them.

• Reply 211 of 246

Wow, what's with all the negativity?  Oh, wait I forgot, the paid shills are on golden time to downplay the announcement.  I plan to buy 5s.

I can't wait to see what happens when the new iPad line is announced.  If it is anything like the iPhone 5c, 5s announcement it will be fun to watch the competition and their minions scramble.  Ooh!  Here's something to fuel the speculation mill and feed the shills - Imagine a retina iPad Mini with Touch ID, an A7x, M7 chip set and the ability to make calls...  (oh no's Shamesung)!

• Reply 212 of 246
    Originally Posted by Collin Smith View Post

…Imagine a retina iPad Mini with Touch ID, an A7x, M7 chip set and the ability to make calls...  (oh no's Shamesung)!

I rather think the next Mini will be A6-based. Unless Apple wants to really kick off the 64-bit era, that is.

• Reply 213 of 246
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Keep trolling. Only Sammy and Apple are making money and not because of the cheapie phones.

Devs are certain to develop for iOS because the apps can run on iPads and iPod touches as well as iPhones. In addition iOS users pay for apps. iOS also has a few screen sizes to worry about hence making it easier to develop for.

It's 14% of the market. And falling. Less than 40% of the tablet market and falling. It's clear to me that iOS is second fiddle to Android in most large development houses.

If you are a customer then a lower market share should be an issue. If you are an investor then the stock is off by $35 since the announcement. It held up until then. It's meeting occasional pockets of resistance but the stock went up from $400 in anticipation of a cheaper iPhone for developing markets and the market is spooked by apples loss of overall share. Proper fans of Apple and sane investors would be appalled. Here its a rant about "trolls" who happen to think - like the entire stock market - that the price of the iPhone C was a mistake.

Personally I don't think they started to design the iPhone 5C without the intention of scrapping the 4S, given the cost of maintaining the accessories for the old devices. However something went wrong. Devs are unhappy with iOS 7 as well. The fingerprint scanner better work.

I don't trust the existing management to create value. Another reason the stock went up was cooks claim about "new products" in the fall. If all that is is a refresh and a plastic case for last years device then the stock will slide back to its minimum value.
  • Reply 214 of 246
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Who is this phone targeting, and who wouldn't spend $100 more to get the premium model, with faster processor, Touch ID, better camera etc.?

I happen to think that the 5C looks decent, for a plastic phone, I just think that Apple now has introduced a new model of iPhone that is priced almost the same as the premium model. $100 difference is nothing.

The fact that you even ask that question shows that you know positively NOTHING about marketing, or business in general.

• Reply 215 of 246
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

It's 14% of the market. And falling. Less than 40% of the tablet market and falling. It's clear to me that iOS is second fiddle to Android in most large development houses.

Troll my ass. The only trolls here are the "Apple can do no wrong" buffoons who are over this kind of thread making excuses. If you are a customer then a lower market share should be an issue. If you are an investor then the stock is off by $35 since the announcement. It held up until then. It's meeting occasional pockets of resistance but the stock went up from $400 in anticipation of a cheaper iPhone for developing markets and the market is spooked by apples loss of overall share. Proper fans of Apple and sane investors would be appalled. Here its a childish rant about "trolls" who happen to think - like the entire stock market - that the price of the iPhone C was a mistake.

Personally I don't think they started to design the iPhone 5C without the intention of scrapping the 4S, given the cost of maintaining the accessories for the old devices. However something went wrong. Devs are unhappy with iOS 7 as well. The fingerprint scanner better work.

I don't trust the existing management to create value. Another reason the stock went up was cooks claim about "new products" in the fall. If all that is is a refresh and a plastic case for last years device then the stock will slide back to its minimum value.

You have absolutely nothing to offer the conversation besides contrived BS.

• Reply 216 of 246
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Apple obviously didn't want to introduce a larger screen phone until they figure out what the right size is.  

What? They know exactly what the right size is. They just added it to 2 new iPhones.

• Reply 217 of 246
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I like these new phones, the 5C is about $100 more expensive off-contract than I thought it was going to be in the end, so its not going to be my new phone. I'm actually going to spend a bit more, and go for the 5S instead. Love the finger-print sensor tech, the 64 bit CPU and the new champagne gold finish isn't half bad either! I might go for it (the colour), but I'm not fully decided yet, I'll have to see all three finishes in the metal first.
  • Reply 218 of 246
    asdasd wrote: »

Lets go download Infinity Blade for Android. Oh.

Shipments does not equal usage. Pull up the web usage charts, payments to Devs data, ad impressions, etc. since Android has 80% of the shipment market share, it's reasonable to expect the same % in usage but they aren't even close.
  • Reply 219 of 246
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

[snip]

There were lines when Microsoft released the surface, that's meaningless.

The questions isn't the 5S - that upgrade was fine (although why does the biggest tech company in the world not skip a design release? Why not introduce the 6 this year?) and nor is the problem the 5C. Thats an ok phone, but not for the price. It will sell, idiots on here will say it sells, but the question is not whether it will sell but how much of the market it can claw back. None I imagine. 

What is with the defend Apple at all costs nonsense you get here. I am on sports forums where fans - fanatics  who spend most of their disposable income on following their team which they, their fathers before them etc. have done for generations - and if the picked team is a disaster the manager gets a roasting. Here, no criticism of Apple or Cook is countenanced by certain Apple fans. Effectively the iPhone line out is Apple's team for the year, and its not a good selection at the price.

Makes no sense. There are no android trolls here, my android loving friends are just confused at the price Apple expects to sell a plastic phone at in Europe. They, however, for the most part don't really care. Android has won. Apple is just going for a niche rich product. 

Thats fine until developer interest wanes, apps disappear and the platform disintegrates. We've seen this story before. 

yes, lines are merely symbolic. but symbolism is not always meaningless. MS gets lines by giving away free tickets to concerts. while the iPhone lines reflect genuine  enthusiasm among a core group - and scalpers who wouldn't be there without a good reason.

sure, lots of folks here are fans. being a fan of a sports team or car brand or tech brand, etc. is fun. having something intelligent to say about the topic in question is even more fun. dissing the competition is fun too, for some. but if you're doing it as an identity statement or just to put people down, you're over the line and need professional help.

there is no "Android" as you refer to it. the single global android market share you refer to is a myth. there is no single android platform anymore. there is Google's, there is Amazon's, there is Samsung's (clearly in the process of intentionally splitting away from Google), plus other "forks," and globally there are dozens of "white box" versions from regional OEM's. few in China and India's huge markets have anything to do with Google's official Android ecosystem, they are using local web services and sites and apps we never hear of in the US or Europe. it might as well be a completely different OS, it is "android" in name only. US/Euro developers have little to do with it, and vice versa.

while in the "home base" US market alone, iOS is actually growing in share already this year, and the new iPhone/iOS 7 is sure to continue that trend. and we won't see KitKat until sometime next year.

so ... we've seen your "Android has won" story before too, and it's bunk.

but my real problem with your comment is while you quote my analysis, you never actually addressed its points (like i address yours above), instead just dismissing it to rant on. so here is the crux of my point again, have at it if you can:

"the combination of the freshly re-desinged and definitely improved iOS 7 with these two new models - one with great casual style and the other packed with useful technical wizardry - is going to blow away the consumer market. because together they make the iPhone "feel" reinvented. you can all say there is no "wow" there, but actually i see plenty of "wow" for regular folks. iOS 7 may already be old news to the technocrati, but none of the general public have seen it in action yet and everyone will find some of its new features really satisfying to use. add the distinctive two new hardware models to that and you have a huge hit coming up."

• Reply 220 of 246
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Collin Smith View Post

Wow, what's with all the negativity?  Oh, wait I forgot, the paid shills are on golden time to downplay the announcement.  I plan to buy 5s.

I can't wait to see what happens when the new iPad line is announced.  If it is anything like the iPhone 5c, 5s announcement it will be fun to watch the competition and their minions scramble.  Ooh!  Here's something to fuel the speculation mill and feed the shills - Imagine a retina iPad Mini with Touch ID, an A7x, M7 chip set and the ability to make calls...  (oh no's Shamesung)!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I rather think the next Mini will be A6-based. Unless Apple wants to really kick off the 64-bit era, that is.

I think we see a $229 non retina iPad mini, a $329 Retina iPad mini, this year and am on the fence on A7/64 bit for the mini. Might be a year off. 

Full size iPad? A7X. Begun, the 64 bit mobile device wars have. Think of it this way. By 10/2015? Apple will only sell 64 bit mobile devices, all app developers (worth their salt/interested in more than just one and done apps) will have upgraded by then. It will be a thing of beauty. And I am not saying they can't, but not sure the competition can turn around this quickly in the next 24 months. 

It may not be obvious, but yesterday showed quite a bit of innovation and forward looking ideas.

Quote:

Do you have one source that states iOS is second fiddle to Android in any development house? I think iOS is even ahead of Android at Google, judging from the apps they've released? 

Not wanting to attack your statement, but I will post one article that states iOS is still king of the developer market (aside from the developer of Infinity Blade who was on stage yesterday, since they aren't a "large development house" as you state). I will also concede that Android is catching up, but has yet to relegate iOS to "second fiddle to Android in most large development houses." as you state.

From September 5 (or, 6 days ago - I admit, that is a long time, perhaps things have changed) : Forrester: Mobile developers’ top priority is still iOS, but Android is closing in

Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

If you are a customer then a lower market share should be an issue. If you are an investor then the stock is off by $35 since the announcement. It held up until then. It's meeting occasional pockets of resistance but the stock went up from $400 in anticipation of a cheaper iPhone for developing markets and the market is spooked by apples loss of overall share. Proper fans of Apple and sane investors would be appalled. Here its a childish rant about "trolls" who happen to think - like the entire stock market - that the price of the iPhone C was a mistake.

You're posting on a site called AppleInsider.  Apple. Bashing Apple. Fits the bill. Sorry if it hurts. Again, just looking at facts. Try as one may, a fact is a fact, like it or not. Just as the above "Android development coming first in a growing number of place" admission is not something that brings a smile to my face, I can not argue the fact that research shows.

I have been a customer of Apple since at least 1983 (the first proof I can obtain). I have never, once, concerned myself with marketshare. I asked, "Is this the right product for me?" countless times over the past 30 years (ok, some of that was my parents, but it was me asking/pushing). Guess what the answer has been nearly every time? Yes. Market share or not. For me, they make the best products.

The stock being off today for investors? Any investor worth their salt would be loving this. Buy up. because on 9/23 or so (and certainly by the October iPad event) when Apple releases record breaking sales? Stock will go back up.

Stock Market - I am confused. Is Wall Street the sane/good guy you are portraying them as (because they would have to be to consider their opinion worthwhile) or are they the evil/greedy/corrupt harbingers of our economic doom? Which is it? I honestly can't keep up, because I am too busy moving forward to worry about the past.

Quote:

Your opinion, which you are entitled too. My personal opinion, as an IT Project Manager for Software Development (which is usually more flexible than hardware) - These type of changes take time, under the best circumstances. I don't even fully get what you are trying to say. That they started to design the 5C as the replacement for the 4S? Because of accessories? But something went wrong that caused them to keep the 4S on and scrap the 5 all together? No clue where you are going. Can't tell if it is in circles or just spinning tires. I can't even see where you are trying to go, and I have tried.

As far as Devs being unhappy with iOS7? From what I see, looks like it could go both ways, split, but who knows. I like it.

Fingerprint scanner? Seems like it from what I have read today.

Quote:

If you want to get technical? It is still summer. for 10 more days. Just saying...