Apple adds new wallpapers, ringtones, & alert tones in iOS 7 GM

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The golden master version of iOS 7, the final preview release before the operating system is made available to the public, brings a number of new wallpapers, ringtones and alert tones.

Apple on Tuesday released the GM, or Golden Master, seed of iOS 7 to developers, and with it continued their tradition of overhauling the default wallpaper collection with each successive iOS version. Additionally, the updated seed brought the first wide release of the new ringtones and alert sounds the company demonstrated at their iPhone 5s and 5c introduction earlier in the day.

Two wallpapers have been held over from previous iOS versions ? the "lotus blossom," an iOS mainstay since the first generation iPhone, and the "blue wave," which made its first appearance in iOS 4 ? but the collection is otherwise all-new. As in the past, the selections are roughly evenly split between natural photography and computer-generated images, with the color-matched backgrounds that will ship with the iPhone 5c comprising approximately 30 percent of the latter group.

Apple also added several new dynamic wallpapers. The dynamic wallpapers, a new iOS 7 feature that allows wallpapers to be moving, rather than static, images, are offered in seven different colors but are otherwise identical.

The updated ringtones and alert tones found in the new seed are starkly divergent from those in previous iOS versions, a nod to the larger user experience overhaul undertaken by Apple in iOS 7. While the previous audio cues were based mostly on physical instruments, the new sounds appear to be purely electronic creations. For users who prefer the older sounds, Apple has retained them in a "Classic" subcategory.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    Alright! Needed some new variety. Hopefully one day they add a custom ringtone maker in the iOS like they did with the vibration feature.

(Yes I know you can make ringtones in GarageBand)
  • Reply 2 of 33
    I'm sad that it looks like panoramic wallpapers have been removed :(
  • Reply 3 of 33
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

The new tones are great, very refreshing.

• Reply 4 of 33
    blackbook wrote: »
    I'm sad that it looks like panoramic wallpapers have been removed :(

So am I. Can't believe they got rid of that.
  • Reply 5 of 33

With the Steve Jobs era truly over on September 10, 2013, all hail the new kings of technology -- mighty SAMSUNG

Here is SAMSUNG GALAXY Note 3 + Gear:

• Reply 6 of 33
    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I'm sad that it looks like panoramic wallpapers have been removed image

What panoramic wallpapers?

• Reply 7 of 33
    The new locking "click" is very reverberant
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What panoramic wallpapers?

A feature that appeared in the betas that was akin to the experience of the tilt-a-whirl.

You could set a panoramic photo as walloper and it would slide around as you moved the phone. Tried it for 3 seconds and got instant motion sickness.

• Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spamilton1 View Post

The new locking "click" is very reverberant

Yes, as are all of the Classic sounds that have been remastered.

The new default text tone Ding has a very long fading reverberation akin to a tuning fork. Very, very cool. Its sounds incredibly life-like.

• Reply 10 of 33
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

A feature that appeared in the betas that was akin to the experience of the tilt-a-whirl.

You could set a panoramic photo as walloper and it would slide around as you moved the phone. Tried it for 3 seconds and got instant motion sickness.

Hmm. Sounds dumb. I thought perhaps he meant that if you set a panorama as your wallpaper it would move in the background as you swiped through pages on the Springboard. That would be decent, I think. A way to get people to take more panoramas, at least.

Now, the animated wallpapers… how would we make more of those? The bokeh Apple has chosen are nice, but I'd like a darker one.

• Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hmm. Sounds dumb. I thought perhaps he meant that if you set a panorama as your wallpaper it would move in the background as you swiped through pages on the Springboard. That would be decent, I think. A way to get people to take more panoramas, at least.

Now, the animated wallpapers… how would we make more of those? The bokeh Apple has chosen are nice, but I'd like a darker one.

The Dynamic Wallpapers are very nice. So far I've seen no noticeable battery drain on iPad when using them, and a slight but noticeable increase in battery drain on the iPhone 5.

I'm hoping Apple adds a section to the iTunes store (or App Store?) for purchasable Dynamic Wallpapers, that developers can create and submit (Like the Tones store).

• Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I'm sad that it looks like panoramic wallpapers have been removed image

Really? Didn't CF tout it as a major feature at WWDC?

I recall thinking that it looked VERY cool. :\

• Reply 13 of 33

I'm starting to get it.  iOS 7 and the iPhone 5c are all about 'accessorizing'

• Reply 14 of 33

You're probably thinking of the parallax feature, which is still present. Panoramic wallpapers actually took your panorama photos in our camera roll to make a panning wallpaper that spun as you moved your phone.
  • Reply 15 of 33

Panoramas are still there.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Always an amusing feature and with 7's more translucent design possibly even more useful than previously. Many's the time I've chosen an image I like for the wallpaper and then immediately found it just didn't work behind the apps icons....

• Reply 17 of 33
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

You're probably thinking of the parallax feature, which is still present. Panoramic wallpapers actually took your panorama photos in our camera roll to make a panning wallpaper that spun as you moved your phone.

People keep using words like "spun" and "tilt-a-whirl" when it's hardly appropriate.  They were simply panoramic pictures that you could set as wallpaper like a landscape so that each successive home page used a different section of it.  From what I saw there was nothing "gut wrenching" about it.  

I was really looking forward to it and it's a shame they've removed it (if they have).  

I had a long landscape of Altair 4 done up all ready for use.  :(

• Reply 18 of 33

I've always wanted a subtly moving wallpaper with different environments (for phone and desktop) that would change with the local time and weather. A "living" wallpaper, if you will.

• Reply 19 of 33

They redid almost all of the sounds on the GM. The lock noise, text tones (while the app is open), and even charging noise have all changed.

• Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

People keep using words like "spun" and "tilt-a-whirl" when it's hardly appropriate.  They were simply panoramic pictures that you could set as wallpaper like a landscape so that each successive home page used a different section of it.  From what I saw there was nothing "gut wrenching" about it.  

I was really looking forward to it and it's a shame they've removed it (if they have).  

I had a long landscape of Altair 4 done up all ready for use.  :(

According to devs testing the GM it's gone.

I too was very excited for the feature. It would finally give Pano shots taken with iPhone 4S+ a purpose.