Overhauled Apple TV software with enhanced AirPlay coming Sept. 18

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I

Okay, I'll be more specific: who cares what you "says"?

• Reply 62 of 75
    Okay, I'll be more specific: who cares what you "says"?

You wouldn't bother replying if you didn't care.
  • Reply 63 of 75
    mhikl wrote: »
    U can b so dang clear TS but yesterday your compulsive rant encouragement to feed trolls got you BLOCKEed. I still check my BLOCK list and read the saner discussions. Yesterday the discussion on the Apple event was destroyed by trolls and their supporters, aka you as lead stirrer upper.. That is not fair to AI and its serious readers (including nutty, aka me, tongue in cheek posters). You and a few other troll feeders have some great, clear and intelligent points to make; but feeding first time troll posters is a public flogging offence, aka sending to BLOCK reformatory. Grrr :\ :no:

I mostly stayed away yesterday because the forums were overrun by drive-by trolls. Remember though, TS doesn't start it. Sure, he feeds the trolls, but there was an unusual number of inactive accounts that suddenly pipped up on keynote day to more or less whine about how the iPhone 5c wasn't cheap enough. The other troll meme was the 5c plastic was too cheap. I expected to hear more from the "disappointed brigade" over the usual memes: screen is not 1337 enough, Apple is Doomed(TM), no new innovations, Android done it, etc. but surprisingly didn't.

In any case, I'm not sure why you are complaining about TS when you've blocked him.
  • Reply 64 of 75

You wouldn't bother replying if you didn't care.

The implication is that you'd give a credential to justify your opinion as more than the ramblings of an individual.

• Reply 65 of 75
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Compressed and crappy looking.

LOL. And Blu-Ray isn't compressed? Please.
  • Reply 66 of 75

Yes it is but it's the best picture quality one can get without going to a movie theater.
  • Reply 67 of 75
    Really odd that I can't open a URL stream in ATV. I can AirPlay it, sure. But how hard would it be to say, hey ATV, broadcast whatever is coming from this URL?

These days I can access more online streaming content using my DVD player than my ATV.
  • Reply 68 of 75
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:

Yes it is but it's the best picture quality one can get without going to a movie theater.

And the physical media is often less expensive too. And it comes with the storage (the disc) so I am not paying for the hard drive storage too.

• Reply 69 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

You're right, it's so easy to lose my 400 Blu-Ray collection.

Funny story, I recently bought a Western Digital myBook to backup my iMac. Well wouldn't ya know it, the POS died last week. Good thing it wasn't my main drive, good thing my entire collection of movies wasn't on it.

Similar thing happened to me - I got a "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" for my 1TB Western Digital external drive. Took over a month to re-rip my movies. Thank goodness for DVD's.

Always back up your ripped/converted versions. While it certainly isn't difficult to convert a movie collection for ATV it can be time consuming. Just do it once. One backup device is not enough.

• Reply 70 of 75
    fazzter wrote: »
    Always back up your ripped/converted versions. While it certainly isn't difficult to convert a movie collection for ATV it can be time consuming. Just do it once. One backup device is not enough.

That's solid advice. Especially when considering Disc Rot
  • Reply 71 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Disc rot in reality is not a significant issue. I have yet to have a DVD, Blu-Ray or even Laserdisc (at least where it won't play) have this problem. We're talking over a thousand discs.

• Reply 72 of 75
    philboogie wrote: »
    The difference in user isn't face comes to mind. If devs can create it 'once' for all iOS devices, this would require way more work to have the same application work on the AppleTV or OSX, no?
    Probably meant for things already on them to do this, Mac and IOS do count themselves as different apps even if same name and look.
  • Reply 73 of 75
    philboogie wrote: »

Disc rot in reality is not a significant issue. I have yet to have a DVD, Blu-Ray or even Laserdisc (at least where it won't play) have this problem. We're talking over a thousand discs.

Well it happened to two disc of mine, though they were audio from 1985. I have no idea if the tech got better with DVD or BD...
  • Reply 74 of 75
    dasanman69 wrote: »

However, there are quite few 4k videos and documentaries (thanks Marvin!) on YouTube that I can watch on my 30" ACD in all its glory. Can't do that on the couch in the living.

That may be considered as a lame response, but it is accurate though...
  • Reply 75 of 75
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    pendergast wrote: »
    Fully expecting something big coming for Holiday release. Why else would they have released those controller APIs?

I agree. The APIs have been long awaited. It would surprise me that Apple would ship nothing that used them.