Apple unveils new iPhone 5c in green, blue, red, yellow & white starting at $99, launching Sept. 20

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 168
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    murman wrote: »
    I don't think its meant to be premium, 5C is for the younger (youthful spirited) crowd. Its "as colorful as you are", so goes the a line in the 5C video presentation. Its more towards the fun and colorful iPod feel don't you think?

I think it's in the wrong price bracket to not be a premium phone. If this was basically a $299 iPod Touch with phone capability, just add the phone parts and price the 5C at $399 and have the 5S at $550 or something like that, then it would be that fun entry model. The way it is now, you have a premium build iPhone 4S at the entry point (likely $450) and then colored plastic above it at $550 and the premium 5S above that at $650:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57602268-37/apples-16gb-iphone-5c-will-retail-for-$549-off-contract/

The 5C also competes with used models of the iPhone 5. If you can get deals from 3rd parties on warranty, an iPhone 5 is a better quality 5C as it has the same internals with a solid metal chassis.

If a used model looks better value (better quality for the same price) than a new model, there's something wrong with the new model. Perhaps some people would opt for a 5C over an iPhone 5 after seeing them side by side at the same price but I wouldn't.
  • Reply 162 of 168
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Marvin wrote: »
    I think it's in the wrong price bracket to not be a premium phone. If this was basically a $299 iPod Touch with phone capability, just add the phone parts and price the 5C at $399 and have the 5S at $550 or something like that, then it would be that fun entry model. The way it is now, you have a premium build iPhone 4S at the entry point (likely $450) and then colored plastic above it at $550 and the premium 5S above that at $650:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57602268-37/apples-16gb-iphone-5c-will-retail-for-$549-off-contract/

The 5C also competes with used models of the iPhone 5. If you can get deals from 3rd parties on warranty, an iPhone 5 is a better quality 5C as it has the same internals with a solid metal chassis.

If a used model looks better value (better quality for the same price) than a new model, there's something wrong with the new model. Perhaps some people would opt for a 5C over an iPhone 5 after seeing them side by side at the same price but I wouldn't.

It's very simple. Aluminum is cold and hard, polycarbonate is warm and soft. Or look at it as mineral vs. organic. These differences are not best grasped with the mind, but unconsciously witth emotion and touch. The 5C is a better phone than the 5 for some because it is plastic.
  • Reply 163 of 168

realllllllllly wish dey had made cuter cases =*(, but still <3 apple!

• Reply 164 of 168
    Only a sucker would buy the 5C! It only $100 less then the 5S!
  • Reply 165 of 168
    Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

Only a sucker would buy the 5C! It only $100 less then the 5S!

See:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/159466/first-look-apples-new-iphone-5s-and-5c/160#post_2394440

• Reply 166 of 168
    I'm not gonna lie, unless the iPhone 6 has some killer feature, I think I would be perfectly happy with an iPhone 5s wrapped up in a green shell next year when I upgrade. I'm a sucker for color
  • Reply 167 of 168
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by willizen View Post

I'm not gonna lie, unless the iPhone 6 has some killer feature, I think I would be perfectly happy with an iPhone 5s wrapped up in a green shell next year when I upgrade. I'm a sucker for color

The next phone will most likely be a big screen model and it might come a lot sooner because that's their biggest issue right now.  But I'm sure it will be basically an iPhone 5s with bigger screen, bigger battery, maybe IGZO screen, and maybe other small advancements.

• Reply 168 of 168

Interesting!