Apple rumored to release new Apple TV product in coming weeks

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Coming on the heels of news that Apple is possibly looking to release new Apple TV software on Sept. 18 alongside the iOS 7 launch, fresh rumors are pointing to a hardware upgrade that could come as soon as October.

Apple TV

A tweet from MG Siegler on Wednesday trumped an earlier report that claimed Apple is working on an Apple TV software update, saying the company is prepping a new Apple TV hardware product for release sometime in the coming weeks.

"I guess those excited about a software refresh in a week are gonna be *really* excited when new Apple TV hardware is unveiled next month," Siegler tweeted.

Some industry watchers were expecting Apple to announce new Apple TV software at Tuesday's iPhone event.

Not much more was offered in the way of specifics, though some analysts, such as Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster, believe Cupertino is working on a full-fledged television. No "leaks" or hard evidence has surfaced supporting an imminent rollout, though Apple recently took receipt of multiple shipments labeled "Set Top Box" from a known Chinese supplier.

Rumors of an Apple branded television set were first sparked when it was revealed in 2011 that Steve Jobs "cracked" the secret to building an intuitive integrated device.

Apple last updated its set top streamer in March 2012, adding 1080p playback, a new UI and closer ties with iCloud.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    I think Gene just ejaculated over his keyboard.
  • Reply 2 of 57
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    It is but it isn't- then again it is - no it isn't......:rolleyes:
  • Reply 3 of 57
    If SJ "cracked" the secret in 2011 then it's time for Apple to put up or shut up.
  • Reply 4 of 57

But they haven't said anything...

• Reply 5 of 57
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I'm hoping to see an Al Sharpton/Apple story here, because I just read about it elsewhere, and I have a few comments to make about that. Surely that is Apple related news.

Let the racist bastard attempt to boycott Apple, I welcome it!

• Reply 6 of 57
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

If SJ "cracked" the secret in 2011 then it's time for Apple to put up or shut up.

Who says you haven't already been shut up?

• Reply 7 of 57
    Who says you haven't already been shut up?

Please, I beg of you!
    Master!
    No!
    Don't!
    :lol:
  • Reply 8 of 57

Such an announcement might bludgeon the stock to under $300.  /s

• Reply 9 of 57

Please, I beg of you!

Master!

No!

Don't!

I liked the laugh better.

I mean to say that who says the relevant software hasn't already been released?

• Reply 10 of 57
    Quote:

That really depends on how long it takes to get from the idea/concept to the actual working product, infrastructure, and content deals to make it a reality. Since we don't know what SJ meant, it's really hard to say how long it should take. Every other manufacturer is flailing around with SmartTV solutions in the attempt to preempt Apple. I don't believe any have really been successful yet.

• Reply 11 of 57

I'll believe it when I see it

• Reply 12 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Some industry watchers were expecting Apple to announce new Apple TV software at Tuesday's iPhone event.

Who?

• Reply 13 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Is that you or Gruber talking?

• Reply 14 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm hoping to see an Al Sharpton/Apple story here, because I just read about it elsewhere, and I have a few comments to make about that. Surely that is Apple related news.

Let the racist bastard attempt to boycott Apple, I welcome it!

Why a boycott?  Apple's had a black iPhone longer than they've had the white one. :P

• Reply 15 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Such an announcement might bludgeon the stock to under $300.  /s

Exactly!!! Just look at their recent announcement: the 5S. It's just the same letter over and over; same phone for 7 years! I mean, they couldn't think of another letter to use? What about the 5X? My Samsung Galaxy Prime Skateboard Note 4 GLS XL 20,000 JR has 8 flash bulbs, 3 fans, a 5.6" screen and stretchy-neck-away! technology®. Apple has run out of ideas. Apple is d00med!!

• Reply 16 of 57
    Yep... just a rumor until Jim Dalrymple says 'Yep'
  • Reply 17 of 57
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Wow.... Just Wow

No need to ask how old you are.

Wow

• Reply 18 of 57
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    How do we know Steve Jobs wasn't just giving Walter Isaacson BS?
  • Reply 19 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Creep View Post

Why a boycott?  Apple's had a black iPhone longer than they've had the white one. :P

I read that as the black iPhone is longer than the white one :/

• Reply 20 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How do we know Steve Jobs wasn't just giving Walter Isaacson BS?

They cracked how the UI would work, how the product would work, but they never cracked the getting the owner of said product all the TV Shows they want in a subscription package that makes sense so the expensive TV could be subsidised, which is why we still haven't seen a real Apple TV. It really doesn't need to be over-thought more than this.