Samsung, others try to rain on Apple's iPhone parade with ads surrounding coverage

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Nope, Steve Jobs always brought some zazz and knew what would and wouldn't wow crowds.  

"mindlessly compiling checklists" that's interesting, it really is.  I mean what's interesting is just how ignorant you are of what else is available, no offense.

As far as being doomed - they're about as doomed as any other lethargic giant corporation with government backing.  Antitrust laws no longer apply, they're set.

You're right that Steve Jobs had more of this "Rock superstar" persona. But that's about it. Every subsequent iteration of any iconic product, iPod/iPad/iPhone, under his reign was just incremental. In fact even the Galaxy S3 to the Galaxy S4 was just an incremental update.  

However, the fingerprint sensor, if it works as advertized and if it also works for app purchases and is also allowed to be used for personal banking, is a huge deal.

The other hardware feature practically ignored by the tech media, is the M7 co-processor. The potential here is also big, especially if paired with a future iWatch and the biometric data such a device can send to your iPhone.

• Reply 42 of 70
    crosslad wrote: »
    I must admit I was not expecting the high price of the 5c. I would have preferred to see Apple keep the IPhone 5 at the same price as the 5c and let the 5c have the insides of the 4s to keep the price low and to appeal to teenagers who I think are more likely to go for the colours. Will I be switching to Android? - Never

I suspect Apple knows what they are doing here. The colors are likely for markets such as India, China, and Japan where Apple has plenty of untapped addressable market... The price point is basically the same as the 5 would have been. The 5C may contribute a little more to margins as an added bonus. Can Apple sell iPhone 5C devices for $100 less than they sold the 5 last week and be successful? Sure then can. The 5S set a nice technology bar and the screen size has not been a significant limiting factor so far.

In summary...

Removed "last years model" stigma
    Added colors to both iPhone lines
    Kept price tiers that have been very successful
    Innovated in hardware, software (5S, iOS7)
    Enhanced services (iTunes radio)
    Free Apple apps with new phones

All in all that is a pretty sound progression in their business. I'm buying more stock soon as I try to time the end of this pullback. This can have a very positive impact on their earnings without there being a "cheaper" iPhone,
  • Reply 43 of 70
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:

Nope, Steve Jobs always brought some zazz and knew what would and wouldn't wow crowds.  

Sure he did.  But regardless, analysts and media types would still contrive reasons that new products would fail (specs aren't good enough, missing this feature or that, not user-serviceable, etc).

Quote:

"mindlessly compiling checklists" that's interesting, it really is.  I mean what's interesting is just how ignorant you are of what else is available, no offense.

I'm fully aware of what's out there.  Heck, I helped develop one of the first pieces of jailbreaking software for the 1st gen iPhone because I didn't like the limitations and wanted to see what was possible with it (that and I needed to figure out how to activate it in Canada).

However, these days, I generally find that I don't have the same inordinate number of hours to spend with phones as I did before (nor do I have the desire to do so).  And from that I've really come to see the average person's view of technology: as something to augment what they're actually interested in, and not the sole focus of their interest.  The vast majority of features on Android phones are designed for people in the latter camp.  They're not features the average person will ever discover or, if they do, will find very useful in the long run (as much as manufacturers try to promote them as such).

Quote:

As far as being doomed - they're about as doomed as any other lethargic giant corporation with government backing.  Antitrust laws no longer apply, they're set.

Ah yes, I felt the same way about Microsoft in the 90s.  Except that there were actually facts to support the antitrust argument and not just reactionary paranoia.  But then, based on your name, I can see how such paranoia might be confused for reality.

• Reply 44 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Attack of the Clones!

Explain how nokias polycarb windows phones which have been out for 2-3 years are copying the iphone. I'd love to hear your logic here.

• Reply 45 of 70
    Quote:

What parade?  The world has spoken - this past update is crap.  Steve Jobs' value to Apple has never been more apparent in recent years than now.  The ones running Apple are dropping the ball big time and the stock market's reaction to the new iphone proves that.

[...]

If we take history as our guide that reaction proves nothing, really.

• Reply 46 of 70
    Originally Posted by basjhj View Post

If we take history as our guide that reaction proves nothing, really.

The stock market's reaction proves that Apple did exactly the right thing, according to history. :D

• Reply 47 of 70
    I mean the Nokia Lumia thing is sad. Apple has been making colored iPods for years. I mean, if anything, the new iPhones are color styled like the 5th gen iPod touch.
  • Reply 48 of 70
    macxpress wrote: »
    People will complain about the price of the iPhone 5c, but they will still buy it. This seems to happen all the time with these types of devices. For example, I remember when the iPod mini came out and it was $249. People whined and complained up and down about the price and I'm almost positive it ended up being the best selling iPod they had at the time until it was replaced with the iPod Nano.  

All the media complaining about the cost of the new 5c are assuming that Apple will continue to market the 5c like Apple has in the past... which may be not the case. Apple has recently begun to DOUBLE their advertising and marketing staff. Plus, Apple has enough margin in the product to run special promotions to the phone companies to push the iPhones. If Apple's price to the phone companies gets squishy, the competition won't be able to focus in on Apple as easily as it once had.

For example, Apple offers the 5c to China for $300 to do a introductory promotion, Apple gets to keep the 5c margins high in the rest of the world at the same time. Then, Apple does a Christmas Special in the USA, or a True Red iPhone 5c at some point, and a Graduation Gift special in May-June. You get the idea... Apple doesn't have to be a fixed target any longer because the 5c cost to the sellers can be whatever Apple wants it to be.

The analysts are just so damn anal they can't see Apple changing things up ... ever!
  • Reply 49 of 70
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

2011:

2006:

2001:

1998:

The Dawn Of Time:

Created with GIMP

If imitation is the best form of flattery then Nokia doesn't have to worry about Apple imitating their sales figures...

• Reply 50 of 70
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The stock market's reaction proves that Apple did exactly the right thing, according to history. :D

Presented a buying opportunity prior to an announcement re: China.

Proving once again the old adage, "A fool and his money are easily parted".

• Reply 51 of 70
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

All the media complaining about the cost of the new 5c are assuming that Apple will continue to market the 5c like Apple has in the past... which may be not the case. Apple has recently begun to DOUBLE their advertising and marketing staff. Plus, Apple has enough margin in the product to run special promotions to the phone companies to push the iPhones. If Apple's price to the phone companies gets squishy, the competition won't be able to focus in on Apple as easily as it once had.

For example, Apple offers the 5c to China for $300 to do a introductory promotion, Apple gets to keep the 5c margins high in the rest of the world at the same time. Then, Apple does a Christmas Special in the USA, or a True Red iPhone 5c at some point, and a Graduation Gift special in May-June. You get the idea... Apple doesn't have to be a fixed target any longer because the 5c cost to the sellers can be whatever Apple wants it to be.

The analysts are just so damn anal they can't see Apple changing things up ... ever!

The pricing of the 5C puts it in the mid range, carrier pricing will be based on $30 or $40 contracts rather than $60+ of the 5S.

For the cheapskates there is always the 8GB 4S, which is still competitive with most mid range Android phones.

• Reply 52 of 70

Went to Switzerland this past summer and on the way to the Jungraujoch I saw this Samsung Ad that says it all. Samsung Galaxy S4 is toilet crap. Even Samsung thinks so. They really could have chosen a better location for their ad.

• Reply 53 of 70
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    john f. wrote: »
    I mean the Nokia Lumia thing is sad. Apple has been making colored iPods for years. I mean, if anything, the new iPhones are color styled like the 5th gen iPod touch.

It is not just the colour. 5c looks a hell lot like Lumia 620, for example:

I don't mind copying good design - at this time, it is not easy to be completely original on looks of smartphone, all of them following same requirements dictated by devices' function and usage rules.

What I'm finding funny is, so many people around here jump hysterically because Nokia is poking at Apple. C'mon. I'd expect huge majority here was completely happy back in the days when underdog Apple was poking at Microsoft with "Get a Mac" adds. Now underdog Nokia is poking at mighty Apple. Surprise, surprise. Business as usual.
  • Reply 54 of 70
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    nikon133 wrote: »

I don't mind copying good design - at this time, it is not easy to be completely original on looks of smartphone, all of them following same requirements dictated by devices' function and usage rules.

What I'm finding funny is, so many people around here jump hysterically because Nokia is poking at Apple. C'mon. I'd expect huge majority here was completely happy back in the days when underdog Apple was poking at Microsoft with "Get a Mac" adds. Now underdog Nokia is poking at mighty Apple. Surprise, surprise. Business as usual.

I don't think too many people have issues with anybody poking fun.

It's the claim that one of the most successful cell phone players in the industry saw the dismal sales of one of the least successful then decided to 'copy' them to gain more success that a few people are having an issue with.

Next thing we'll hear claims that Chewbacca, an eight foot Wookie, wants to go live on the moon of Endor with two foot Ewoks.

That. Does. Not. Make. Sense.
  • Reply 55 of 70
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

ah, yes, what we are witnessing here and all across the web now from die hard Apple-bashers are their last desperation FUD attacks. because they know in their guts in two weeks the iPhone 5c/s + iOS 7 combo is going to be a runaway hit they can't match. 

i can smell the fear in their eyes, and it tastes great.

• Reply 56 of 70
    nikon133 wrote: »

Maybe Apple is trying to say that Lumia 620 is a cheap version :) Think about it!
  • Reply 57 of 70
    gtr wrote: »
    I don't think too many people have issues with anybody poking fun.

It's the claim that one of the most successful cell phone players in the industry saw the dismal sales of one of the least successful then decided to 'copy' to them gain more success that a few people are having an issue with.

That is silly. They are (arguably) copying external device design, not Nokia's business model. That has nothing to do with how successful one or another company is. Hasn't big MS been copying small Apple a lot in the past - according to some people?
    Next thing we'll hear claims that Chewbacca, an eight foot Wookie, wants to go live on the moon of Endor with two foot Ewoks.

That. Does. Not. Make. Sense.

Yes. Bringing imaginary creatures into real products discussion really does not make sense.
  • Reply 58 of 70
    Maybe Apple is trying to say that Lumia 620 is a cheap version :) Think about it!

Well, Lumia 620 is cheap version. It just happened it was released before more expensive version ;)
  • Reply 59 of 70
    The 5C seems to be a way of replacing what would have been the iPhone 5 but is not and is running better bands and colors for more carriers, by the way does anybody know what happened at the china keynote?
  • Reply 60 of 70
    Anybody notice that Docomo now has the iPhone? Why is no one talking about this? So Apple sells 30% more phones this next quarter, than same quarter a year ago, and the media will still say "beleaguered apple."