Apple's upcoming iCloud keychain feature removed from iOS 7 Golden Master

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
  • Reply 22 of 43
    'Secure' banking? Otherwise don't know, never use US based cloud from Europe
  • Reply 23 of 43

That's funny, I'm running the GM release and it's still there in the Safari preferences just like the screen shot above.

• Reply 24 of 43
    Or they may have decided they needed more time to make it NSA proof.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Isidore View Post

With the NSA and soon everyone else hacking into cloud services or more likely demanding a back door, why would you even consider putting your passwords in cloud storage????

I think that's it myself. They were probably approached and told that they'd have to provide keys to the NSA and have decided to kill the service instead. If no other mention is made by Apple, it's reasonable* to think they were given a secret letter and decided to let the NSA pound sand but can't reveal that. Or maybe it doesn't matter since most of the encryption and OSes are riddled with back doors anyway thanks to the US government, and it will show up with Mavericks.

* Reasonable - because pretty much any speculation like this is no longer in the tin-foil hat realm.

• Reply 26 of 43
    Get 1Password and Dropbox, problem solved.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    This feature is here and it work OK. Go to Settimgs-Safari-Passwords and Autofill. Why AppleInsider spreads false information?
  • Reply 28 of 43
    mrstep wrote: »
    I think that's it myself. They were probably approached and told that they'd have to provide keys to the NSA and have decided to kill the service instead. If no other mention is made by Apple, it's reasonable* to think they were given a secret letter and decided to let the NSA pound sand but can't reveal that. Or maybe it doesn't matter since most of the encryption and OSes are riddled with back doors anyway thanks to the US government, and it will show up with Mavericks.

* Reasonable - because pretty much any speculation like this is no longer in the tin-foil hat realm.

That's an interesting idea. It seemed like there was something a bit off during the keynote, but I haven't been able to put my finger on it. Something that surprised me was the relatively recent confirmation that Apple is the only major tech company not to have been paid by the NSA Prism program, and I have no idea why it got almost no coverage:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/23/nsa-prism-costs-tech-companies-paid
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

Get 1Password and Dropbox, problem solved.

Great, two pointless, third-party features I neither need nor want.

• Reply 30 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    That's an interesting idea. It seemed like there was something a bit off during the keynote, but I haven't been able to put my finger on it. Something that surprised me was the relatively recent confirmation that Apple is the only major tech company not to have been paid by the NSA Prism program, and I have no idea why it got almost no coverage:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/23/nsa-prism-costs-tech-companies-paid

Apple didn't join the program until last year if the previous reports are accurate. I didn't see anything in your link saying Apple wasn't reimbursed if legal requests for information were made by NSA, not that it would really matter anyway.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Isidore View Post

With the NSA and soon everyone else hacking into cloud services or more likely demanding a back door, why would you even consider putting your passwords in cloud storage????

Considering this is nothing new, has been going on for decades, and will never cease...Oh and is actually far worse than is reported to the public...

...why would you suddenly start caring? Because it was on the news?

• Reply 32 of 43
    Waiting for Mavericks to roll out, lol people don't be too lead on by these that it makes you begin to :rolleyes:question apple. They announced the feature, they are definitely delivering for crying out loud.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Great, two pointless, third-party features I neither need nor want.

I don't want either, either...yet need both. Apple hasn't given us anything close to Dropbox for certain things. And until iCloud Keychain is fully deployed, I still need 1password.

Happy to say that my basic testing of iCloud Keychain is that is far better than 1Password, as it should be. 1Password is far too inconsistent and unreliable.

• Reply 34 of 43
    It would make sense that the upcoming Keychain iCloud sync feature has been removed from iOS7 since OSX Mavericks has not yet been released. No Mavericks, then there could be no keychain sync. It will all have to roll out at the same time for it to sync. Or at least that is what I think.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

The fingerprint scanner seems pretty amazing to me, and I was wondering why they didn't give it more time/attention in the keynote, but maybe dropping keychain at the last minute (and any related demos) is the reason why. Either way, I still have to suffer another year on contract with my (still awesome) iPhone 5 while I lust after the features of the 5s. It's a small price to pay for being an Apple fan image

The obvious goal would be to link your iCloud keychain to Touch ID authentication. After all the only thing better than having to remember one password is having to remember none. Considering the emphasis they placed on fingerprint data not being transmitted beyond the A7 chip I imagine Apple felt everyone would need additional time to warm to the concept before rolling it out, especially in the wake of the Snowden revelations.

• Reply 36 of 43
    Is it me or had iCloud keychain been working in previous versions since WWDC, every time I enter a password iCloud keychain has popped up.
  • Reply 37 of 43

I don't think it it purely a timing issue with Mavericks. Keychain syncing would also benefit those with both an iPhone and iPad. In my time with both the Mavericks and iOS 7 betas, I did run into issues with iCloud Keychain. I think they are still ironing out issues with it.

• Reply 38 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Apple didn't join the program until last year if the previous reports are accurate. I didn't see anything in your link saying Apple wasn't reimbursed if legal requests for information were made by NSA, not that it would really matter anyway.

I'm not sure I understand your point. Yes, they don't explicitly say that Apple wasn't reimbursed, but it is implied, as the report says the NSA mentioned Yahoo!, google, and microsoft; why would they not name the biggest tech player, if they did indeed participate? To me it further points to Apple's commitment to integrity, and by extension, the lack of integrity of the other companies (e.g. google) who denied any involvement, but who appear to have been lying. It is part of a consistent pattern that we see in the respective companies. Apple follows the rules (good integrity), google does whatever they can get away with, and settles for fines when they are caught (poor integrity).

• Reply 40 of 43
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member

That's not iCloud Keychain, but just the regular Safari "keychain".