Not to be outdone by Apple's iPhone 5s, Samsung pledges 64-bit chips in next Galaxy phones

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
After Apple announced that the A7 chip in its iPhone 5s will be the first 64-bit smartphone processor on the market, Samsung quickly revealed that its next-generation Galaxy handsets will also go 64-bit.

Samsung co-CEO Shin Jong-kyun spoke with The Korea Times about his company's future plans, and revealed that upcoming Galaxy-branded handsets will add 64-bit processing. The company's current flagship Galaxy S4 and recently announced Galaxy Note 3 run 32-bit processors.

The Samsung executive didn't give a timetable for its 64-bit debut, but the South Korean company has historically released one new Galaxy S and one new Galaxy Note handset per year. As such, it's possible that Samsung may not have a major 64-bit smartphone on the market until 2014.

"Not in the shortest time, but yes, our next smartphones will have 64-bit processing functionality," Shin said.

When the iPhone 5s was unveiled by Apple on Tuesday, the company touted the "desktop-class" processing power of its new custom made A7 processor. The CPU includes over a billion processor, which doubles its predecessor, the A6.

The A7 is also twice as fast in raw processing power and graphics performance, and is a whopping 40 times faster than the chip found in the original iPhone. To take advantage of the 64-bit capabilities of the A7, Apple's iOS 7 mobile operating system has also been updated with a 64-bit kernel, libraries and drivers.

Critics of Samsung have contended that the company follows Apple's lead in technology rather than innovating with its own new features and capabilities. Apple agrees, and is embroiled in a number of patent infringement suits against its rival, accusing the company of copying popular products like the iPhone, iPad, and iOS platform.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 231

Let's face it, they need all the speed they can get to power that pig of an OS.

• Reply 2 of 231
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member

Samsung issues press release stating that the next Galaxy S5 will incorporate 64bit CPU, an improve camera and a fingerprint reader. And will come in a variety of colors. -Samsung out.

• Reply 3 of 231
    It will probably have a 64-bit processor, running an OS incapable of anything beyond 32-bit. So it will be a useless hardware spec like everything else Android. But, you know, because it's open source it will be out soon and be whizbang.
  • Reply 4 of 231
    This just goes to show how things are.

Samsung adds whatever new "innovative" feature and as far as the public goes Apple couldn't care less.

Apple changes something and Samsung has to come up with a "me-too" announcement.
  • Reply 5 of 231
    Copycats!
  • Reply 6 of 231
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Samsung are an embarrassing company. I'm surprised more people in the western world buy into their garbage.
  • Reply 7 of 231
    Surprised they didn't announce a 65-bit processor... 'Cause that extra bit would make it THAT MUCH better than Apple's puny little girly-man of a 64-bit processor.
  • Reply 8 of 231
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

It will probably have a 64-bit processor, running an OS incapable of anything beyond 32-bit. So it will be a useless hardware spec like everything else Android. But, you know, because it's open source it will be out soon and be whizbang.

Yeah I was thinking...Android I don't believe even supports 64-bit processing so whats the use? And, I don't believe there to be any kind of developer kit to make things 64-bit on Android. 

• Reply 9 of 231
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member

"Released in late 2011, ARMv8 represents a fundamental change to the ARM architecture. It adds a 64-bit architecture, named "AArch64", and a new "A64" instruction set"

"ARM announced their Cortex-A53 and Cortex-A57 cores on 30 October 2012"

As Samsung uses these designs, everyone should have known since 2011 (or 30 oct 2012) that samsung would be offering a 64 bit ARM design

• Reply 10 of 231
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    hydr wrote: »
    Samsung issues press release stating that the next Galaxy S5 will incorporate 64bit CPU, an improve camera and a fingerprint reader. And will come in a variety of colors. -Samsung out.

Samsung's next gen I will be able to run 8 x the malware at the same time and upload your personal data to twice as many Chinese and Russian hackers as current models.
  • Reply 11 of 231
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

This guy nails it. Spot on!

Just as Samsung introduced Galaxy S2 with dual core with Android Gingershit that supported only single-core.

Would be interesting how many apps are designed multicore on the Google Playstore and how many single core.

This just shows how Apple truly values the customer experience as a whole and refuses to engage in the stupid spec-sheet war like the others do.

• Reply 12 of 231
    The Next Big Thing is here states Samsu.... I mean Apple.
  • Reply 13 of 231
    Just as I suspected, once again apple copied Samsung before Samsung releases a product.
  • Reply 14 of 231

Unlike iOS, Android will get even more fragmented. They'll end up having two iterations similar to what MS had to go through with Windows 32 vs Windows 64.

• Reply 15 of 231

64 bit processor with a 32 bit operating system with a 2 bit user experience.  Way to go Samsung!

• Reply 16 of 231

For their sake, I hope this is something Samsung has been working on all along, and not something rushed to market based on an artificial deadline (e.g.: CEO sees Apple keynote, writes an email to phone dept calling for 64-bit chips in 6 months). 

Also, is there a benefit if App developers don't code their apps to take advantage of this? I have no doubt about Apple's ability to influence developers to code for them. However, what incentive is there to do the same for Android, if Google doesn't retool Android for 64-bit architecture? IMO, the coordination between Google, Samsung and app developers is the biggest problem here, something Apple has a lot less problem with. 

• Reply 17 of 231
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Man, if Samsung wasn't so pathetic, these press releases would be almost as funny as something the Onion would put out.

• Reply 18 of 231
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mausz View Post

"Released in late 2011, ARMv8 represents a fundamental change to the ARM architecture. It adds a 64-bit architecture, named "AArch64", and a new "A64" instruction set"

"ARM announced their Cortex-A53 and Cortex-A57 cores on 30 October 2012"

As Samsung uses these designs, everyone should have known since 2011 (or 30 oct 2012) that samsung would be offering a 64 bit ARM design

Hahaha that's just like saying since silicon was discovered in 1824 and everybody uses this element, everyone should have known since 1824 that samsung would be offering silicon chips. 

Even so, why didn't they offer it since everyone knows since 2011?!

• Reply 19 of 231
    Apple said that they need 3 things to transfer to 64-bit quickly.
    First, great hardware (iPhone 5S is great ;),
    second a 64 bit OS to take advantage of great hardware (iOS 7)
    And third, support of developer comunity to adopt 64-bit. (NOONE has stronger developer support than Apple)

So we will have lots of smartphones with 64 bit rushing out next year. By that time Apple will have 90% of its users on 64 bit OS (iOS 7)
    And I think over 50% percent of Apps remaked for 64 bit, that will run so fast on the 5S they will literally flew out the screen.

And those android fans with 64 bit 6 to 7 inch "phones" will have to wait for the google IO maybe even to fall before the 64 bit version of android get relased, then wait another 4-9 months to get it on their phone and last but most significant, they will literally have to wait for years before most of the android apps get tuned for 64-bit. This will fragment android even more.

Transition to 64-bit is what can Apple start and finish even before competition can react, thanks to great hardware, software and developers.

So noone cares that samsung phones will got some 16 core 3 Ghz 64-bit processor (with 4GB of RAM obviously) 6 months from now when there will be already a huge installed base of tens of millions of iPhones and iPads running 64-bit code under 64-bit OS on a 64-bit hardware.
  • Reply 20 of 231
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

This is getting very juvenile.

I hope Apple is NOT getting into the "my-screen-is-bigger-than-yours" race.