Apple, Motorola argue for reopening of dismissed patent suit

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple and Motorola were back in court again on Wednesday, arguing before the U.S Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit as to whether the two company's patent dispute should be reopened again for retrial.

image via TechnoBuffalo

As Reuters reports, Wednesday's court action stems from the two firms' 2010 decision to take each other to court, each alleging patent infringement on the part of the other. The suits were eventually dismissed by U.S. District Judge Richard Posner, who found that neither party had the evidence necessary to prove its case.

Apple had maintained that Motorola's devices ? as Apple charges with many Android-powered devices ? copied a number of Apple's patented features from its iOS platform. Countering, Motorola claimed that Apple's iPhone infringed a standards-essential patent, a type of patent deemed necessary to the regular function of a piece of technology.

It is Motorola that has been pushing for the case to be reopened in the time since. The now Google-owned mobile phone maker contends that Apple has been an unwilling licensee ? or has refused to negotiate seriously on licensing fees ? for the standards-essential patent Motorola holds. Apple has denied Motorola's accusations, claiming instead that Motorola is asking Apple to pay 12 times its previous rate to license the technology

The three-judge panel hearing the case on Wednesday reportedly peppered attorneys for both sides with questions on the degree of cooperation between the two parties in settling their licensing disagreement. The two sides also debated the use of expert witnesses in any possible new trial. In the last trial, Judge Posner dismissed expert witnesses for both Apple and Motorola.

For Motorola, a new trial could be the ailing phone maker's best shot at regaining footing in the worldwide patent battles among tech giants. Motorola recently suffered a sizable setback in its patent litigation efforts, with a federal judge ruling it must pay Microsoft $14.5 million in damages.

In that defeat, as in the current stalemate with Apple, Motorola was arguing for higher licensing fees over a standards-essential patent. The court found that Motorola had not been fair, reasonable, and non-discriminatory (FRAND) in its licensing negotiations with Microsoft. The FRAND standard has become an essential tool in preventing anti-competitive actions by SEP holders in a number of industries.

The loss was a blow against Motorola, especially in terms of perception. Observers noted at the time that the verdict made Google-owned Motorola "a convicted patent troll." Spokespersons for Microsoft largely concurred in their remarks following the trial.

"This is a landmark win for all who want products that are more affordable and work well together," a Microsoft spokesperson said. "The jury's verdict is the latest in a growing list of decisions by regulators and courts telling Google to stop abusing patents."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Glad to read this. Let Gootorola keep pushing this. They will end up paying Apple millions of dollars again as they were forced to pay Microsoft too.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    It is Motorola that has been pushing for the case to be reopened in the time since.

But, but, but, but....... Motorola hasn't initiated anything since being acquired by Google, right Gatorguy? :smokey:
  • Reply 3 of 14
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    jragosta wrote: »
    But, but, but, but....... Motorola hasn't initiated anything since being acquired by Google, right Gatorguy? :smokey:

Hey, Motorola is a fully owned subsidiary of Google so you can't hold Google accountable for any action taken by Motorola!!!! /s
  • Reply 4 of 14

This was initiated back in 2010, so Google inherited this case, and are just following it through.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    This was initiated back in 2010, so Google inherited this case, and are just following it through.

He knows that. I just have a follower interested in what I have to say.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    icoco3 wrote: »
    Hey, Motorola is a fully owned subsidiary of Google so you can't hold Google accountable for any action taken by Motorola!!!! /s

They only own Motorola Mobility not Motorola in its entirety.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

I know your being sarcastic but Google after buying Motorola put out a letter saying they endorsed Motorola's actions 100% and would pursue there FRAND extortion without any changes.  Read:  

http://www.fosspatents.com/2012/02/google-letter-to-standards-bodies.html

Also for those that think Mueller is bias he includes the actual letter that google sent the european union endorsing all of motorola's actions including the extortionist rate for 1 frand patent of 2.25% of the end cost of all complete iProducts and Macs.

• Reply 8 of 14
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    dasanman69 wrote: »

gatorguy wrote: »
    He knows that. I just have a follower interested in what I have to say.

Yes, I realize that the two of you have to do what your masters tell you to do, but that's irrelevant. The case is closed. Done. Finished. Dead.

Motorola is asking for it to be re-opened -which is legally the equivalent of opening an entirely new case.
    mechanic wrote: »
    I know your being sarcastic but Google after buying Motorola put out a letter saying they endorsed Motorola's actions 100% and would pursue there FRAND extortion without any changes.  Read:  
    http://www.fosspatents.com/2012/02/google-letter-to-standards-bodies.html
    Also for those that think Mueller is bias he includes the actual letter that google sent the european union endorsing all of motorola's actions including the extortionist rate for 1 frand patent of 2.25% of the end cost of all complete iProducts and Macs.

Please don't confuse the Google shills with the facts.
  • Reply 9 of 14

Yes, I realize that the two of you have to do what your masters tell you to do, but that's irrelevant.

Your whole shill shpeal is pitiful, sad, and pathetic. God forbid anyone say anything remotely against Apple or in favor of the competition. You're an intelligent man, act like it and not like an immature teenager.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

anything remotely against Apple

Yeah, see, that's not what is going on here. At all. And no one would agree with you about it, except your friends. You're an intelligent person; you know how pathetic this is. Just find another website.

• Reply 11 of 14
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Yes, I realize that the two of you have to do what your masters tell you to do, but that's irrelevant. The case is closed. Done. Finished. Dead.

Motorola is asking for it to be re-opened -which is legally the equivalent of opening an entirely new case.

JR, this story is referring to Apple and Motorola appeals of different parts of the Posner ruling to the US Court of Appeals. :no:

I've no idea where you're coming up with the idea this is starting something unusual and therfore different than any other appeal of an unfavorable ruling. It's a typical appeal and nothing new about it. If you're having an issue understanding just what this is about and don't believe me Mueller posted an explanation sometime back. It's even in the first paragraph so not much reading or time required.
    http://www.fosspatents.com/2012/07/apple-and-google-subsidiary-motorola.html

In all honesty I'd just as soon that both appeals be denied and put an end to the whole case.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Yeah, see, that's not what is going on here. At all. And no one would agree with you about it, except your friends. You're an intelligent person; you know how pathetic this is. Just find another website.

Nah I'll stay, I like it here, this forum is head and shoulders better than the other sites and despite our disagreements I like you as well. Oh and thanks for calling me intelligent. Btw I was talking in general and the numerous times jragosta has attacked me because my opinion differed from his.
  • Reply 13 of 14

Who designs these images that go with the articles?

This one is a little obvious, but what about the one used for the DoJ vs. Apple on e-books case? That looks like the DoJ logo sharting on the Apple logo. A figurative way of surmising the case?

• Reply 14 of 14

Not sure if you all know this, but Apple has not paid a single dime to Motorola for the patents it is using, the dispute is not over whether Apple is in fact using those patent it just over what to pay. As we all know, Apple developed the iphone undercover and never let anyone know what they were doing. I would not have surprised me if they had set up some fake company to talk to suppliers like Qualcom so they did not know it was in fact Apple making a phone until the last minute.

Because Apple was doing this under the cloak of secrecy they obviously did not reach out to any of the patent holders and told them what they were doing and sign up for the licenses ahead of time, which is the usually way thing as done. The plan was obviously to intro the product then wait and see what happens. As soon as everyone realize the iphone was a success they came after Apple to sue them for the FRAND license. Motorola is the only one they have not settled with I believe at this point. 

This is the reason Motorola is still going after Apple, they have not been paid anything, Motorola is out $M of dollars, however they would like it to be $100M of dollars and apple is just refusing to pay a dime until they get the same deal as everyone else got.