Walmart's launch-day discounts to offer Apple's iPhone 5c for $79, 5s for $189

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Those looking to pick up one of Apple's two new iPhones can save some money if they go to Walmart, as the retail giant is offering both devices at a discount from the time they launch.

Walmart will be offering 16GB models of both the iPhone 5c and the iPhone 5s at a discount, according to Cnet. The 16GB 5c will sell for $79, while the 16GB 5s will sell for $189, savings of $20 and $10, respectively.

The iPhone 5c will be available at the listed price beginning Friday, September 13, when preorders for the device begin. Customers must preorder at a physical Walmart location, though. Those orders will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis, and they must be picked up by September 25.

As there will be no preorder period for the iPhone 5s, customers will have to pick up that device in stores when it launches on September 20.

Pricing on both phones is contingent upon a customer signing up for a new, two-year contract with Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint. Customers waiting until Saturday, September 21, will also be able to take advantage of Walmart's new trade-in program. Depending on the condition of the device traded in, customers can receive up to $300 in store credit toward the purchase of a new smartphone. Those new phones will have to be activated in-store for Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, or Walmart's pre-paid wireless service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Apple has really dropped the ball with this no-preorder business for the 5S.

They had better at least come out with a "Reserve for in-store pickup" option for launch day. If I'm forced to go to a store that day, I'm not fighting a crowd of walk-ups.
  • Reply 2 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

They had better at least come out with a "Reserve for in-store pickup" option for launch day. If I'm forced to go to a store that day, I'm not fighting a crowd of walk-ups.

You could always wait a day or two...

• Reply 3 of 61
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    AT lease the Chinese illegals and their cousins won't be in line here in NYC (I hope) now that China is to release on day one.
  • Reply 4 of 61

$79 sounds a lot better than $99.

I think that $20 could make all the difference for the 5C.

• Reply 5 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

$79 sounds a lot better than $99.

I think that $20 could make all the difference for the 5C.

What it signals to me is that -- for the first time since the iPhone was introduced -- demand could be slightly soft.

I really, really hope I am wrong. We'll have an early sense tomorrow.

• Reply 6 of 61
    What it signals to me is that -- for the first time since the iPhone was introduced -- demand could be slightly soft.

NO we won't because who in their right mind would upgrade from a 4S to a 5C?
  • Reply 7 of 61

Yeah, no.

They had better at least come out with a "Reserve for in-store pickup" option for launch day.

Or what, you'll never buy from them again? They don't care.

• Reply 8 of 61

I think there's an increased demand, because for the first time the s version looks different from the previous version. The new color schemes on the 5s was a brilliant idea and I think the gold will be the option of choice.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    Quote:

So, what if you wait a week or two - or even a month?  I seriously doubt that the quality of your life would even be infinitesimally reduced waiting a little longer.  It's just a phone for geez sakes. There's no 'win' for being the first on your block to have a 5C or 5S.  Do you not have a phone already, or a life?  I'm always flummoxed by those who are willing to call something a 'fail' because they might have to wait a couple of days, or even a few weeks for some new toy.   No consumer product is worth that sort of importance.

• Reply 10 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I think there's an increased demand, because for the first time the s version looks different from the previous version. The new color schemes on the 5s was a brilliant idea and I think the gold will be the option of choice.

Yes, true. Getting the gold one will show everybody that I have the latest version. This is the best one to get, or the space grey one - but people might not notice from a distance. Better get the gold. /s

• Reply 11 of 61
    The resellers are setting a lower "street" price by reducing [B][I]their[/I][/B] margins!

Apple'a margin as the manufacturer selling to resellers remains the same.

Likely, the Apple online and physical stores will match the street prices -- these stores are essentially resellers and have a different profit/margin objective than Apple, the manufacturer.

What interests me is if we will see the same kind of selling price elasticity by resellers for unlocked iPhones:
    1) could we hit the so-called US $486 "sweet spot" price for China?
    2) will there be a lessening dependency on subsidies?
    3) if so, what will replace subsidies?

I see some interesting opportunities, here -- and most are good for Apple.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    andrewb123 wrote: »
    Yes, true. Getting the gold one will show everybody that I have the latest version. This is the best one to get, or the space grey one - but people might not notice from a distance. Better get the gold. /s

Better get in line early as I suspect Apple sell outs of gold day one. and then for 2 weeks back ordered.
    Everyone who gets one day one will be flauntin the Gold! 8-)

Woz will get one in every shade of 5C and 5S to reflect his every mood. :lol:
  • Reply 13 of 61
    omit
  • Reply 14 of 61
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I don't think it signals that at all.  It signals that WalMart wants a piece of the early-adopter action and the only way to get that is to discount.  Who else in their right mind would buy from WalMart rather than an Apple Store or online?

And what exactly do you expect to learn early tomorrow?

• Reply 15 of 61
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    sog35 wrote: »
    This tells me one thing: The 5C has major price flexability.  Apple margins must be massive on this phone at $550.

It tells you absolutely nothing about Apple's margins. WALMART is discounting the phone, not Apple. And Walmart has a long history of offering loss-leaders and/or reducing margins on items to get people into their stores.
    pazuzu wrote: »
    NO we won't because who in their right mind would upgrade from a 4S to a 5C?

The same type of people who upgraded from the 4S to the 5? Plus the ones (typically younger audience) who prefer the colors?

i.e., many millions of people.
  • Reply 16 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

And what exactly do you expect to learn early tomorrow?

Some guesstimates based on orders being taken starting 3:01AM EST tomorrow.

• Reply 17 of 61
    Quote:

Who else in their right mind would buy from WalMart rather than an Apple Store or online?

The answer might surprise you.

Walmart has made billions selling to people who aren't in their...

Well, you get the idea.

• Reply 18 of 61
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    malax wrote: »
    I don't think it signals that at all.  It signals that WalMart wants a piece of the early-adopter action and the only way to get that is to discount.  Who else in their right mind would buy from WalMart rather than an Apple Store or online?

Exactly. Walmart is quick to offer discounts on things that look like they're going to be popular - it gets people into their store.

And given that the average iPhone customer is wealthier and better educated than the average Android customer, there's even greater value for Walmart in getting iPhone customers into the store. They are likely not to be your typical Walmart customer, so it increases the customer base.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    Quote:

I don't think it signals that at all.  It signals that WalMart wants a piece of the early-adopter action and the only way to get that is to discount.  

I should have clarified: I really meant weak demand signal for the 5C (Walmart's 'discount' is 20% for the 5C versus 5% for the 5S).

• Reply 20 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:

Exactly. Walmart is quick to offer discounts on things that look like they're going to be popular - it gets people into their store.

And given that the average iPhone customer is wealthier and better educated than the average Android customer, there's even greater value for Walmart in getting iPhone customers into the store. They are likely not to be your typical Walmart customer, so it increases the customer base.

If so, why do you think they haven't done that before with an iPhone release?