First look: Apple's new iPhone 5s and 5c

1789101113»

Comments

• Reply 241 of 246
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    drblank wrote: »
    THe HTC One is only 32 bit.  So when Google finally gets a 64 bit OS out, you won't be able to run it on your HTC One and then the value of the HTC One goes down to nothing.  The 5s is just the beginning for 64 bit.  Apple has far more experience in transitioning to 64 bit which the higher end pro market and gamers will want 64 bit apps.

Microsoft is in the same boat as Android.  I think you just don't get it.

Why would 64-bit processing not be backward compatible with 32-bit systems? The 5C 32-bit and the 5S 64-bit will both run iOS7. The new ARM-50 series will do the same thing on Android/Linux etc. architecture.
  • Reply 242 of 246
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    drblank wrote: »
    I'm not totally against Forstall, people make mistakes, it's just that he should have added certain features that are in iOS 7 that should have been there several years ago, and he kind of messed up with Maps.  I think he was a little over his head.

I have mixed feelings about skeuomorphic design.  In the audio recording industry it is commonly used as they make plug ins and apps to look just like the actual product and it gives the user, which are usually used to using the hardware version of the same product, so they can EASILY see the settings and know what it means, if the interface is too different from an actual product they still use, it confuses them.  I can completely see how some people like and prefer that type of design concept.  But if you are developing an app that has no real "hardware" version that you are emulating, then it might not work as well.  I do like the 3D icons they have on OS X and hope they don't get rid of those.  Some developers come out with some cool designs, some don't.  But I can tell at a glance sometimes what version I'm using because some developers change the icon of the app for each version.

Either way, Scott is still an advisor to Apple and he still gets a paycheck, just not as big.  He's still useful I think, on some level, just not in upper management.  Which just means he might not be suited in that role.  Some people get to upper management and now how to deal with that role and some don't.  Some are better at advising and giving a different perspective to think about.  I wish I was in some of the meetings in terms of direction for the product.  I sometimes see some obvious things that are being overlooked.  I think all Apple products should have IR built in so someone can use a remote control to control the device or the device can transform into a remote control depending on what the device is, but I still think IR is useful at some level for ALL devices.

Getting back to Scott, maybe he didn't want to leave Apple, which I don't think he did.  I just think his ego got the best of him, but he's still an advisor to my knowledge.  Heck, the guy is probably rich enough where he could retire if he invested his money properly if he didn't want to work for Google, Microsoft or someone else doing something similar. Maybe he's going to start his own software company.

Don't get me wrong, Forstall was important to Apple. But I hate when people say to put him or Jony as CEO.
  • Reply 243 of 246
    jungmark wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, Forstall was important to Apple. But I hate when people say to put him or Jony as CEO.

Craig Federighi! ;)
  • Reply 244 of 246
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Give over what? Are you "mugging" me to come over to your way of thinking? Not going to happen... because you are wrong about your assessment of 64-bit and how important it is going forward.

From Wikipedia: edited to include this one point, the rest you can read from the link.
    Seems to me the above bolded portion would be even more important in a mobile device, with many Apps, databases open plus background processes, than even a desktop.

Beyond that, the efficiency of developing an optimized OS for the future and kicking out the bloat and cruft, certainly must be seen as a huge advantage to not only the devices running the OS, but also for the developers creating Apps for it.

You're going to have to do more than pull a "Pea Shooter" reply to get me to change my mind on this... "Tread lightly".... just sayin'... :smokey:

That linked in article was about how the OS can handle files, individual files, which are bigger than 4G more efficiently in memory. That's not even much of an issue for most desktop machines. 64 bit architecture doesn't reduce crud, it adds to the memory foot print of most apps. The iPhone 5S will be faster but not because of 64 bits but because the CPU is faster.

The only pea shooter reply is quoting stuff you don't really understand from Wikipedia.
  • Reply 245 of 246
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Why would 64-bit processing not be backward compatible with 32-bit systems? The 5C 32-bit and the 5S 64-bit will both run iOS7. The new ARM-50 series will do the same thing on Android/Linux etc. architecture.

In these cases applications or libraries are built Fat.
  • Reply 246 of 246
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    U
    k2kw wrote: »
    I like some skeuomorphism, just not over blown.   But what I definitely like about IOS4-IOS6 is that the text in the APPS is easy for me to read.    I'm going to have to look closely at IOS7 with its skinny font and  translucent backgrounds to see if it works for me.   My initial reaction from the presentations is no, but I may have to visit the Apple store to play with it several times to convince my self to download it.

Its good Apple still has Forstall.  He would never be made head of MS, but he would be great to create a suite of iLife type APPS for Windows Phone OS, Windows RT, Windows 8.1. 

I would love if Apple implemented some features like Qi wireless recharging that have already been done by other companies.   A little copying doesn't hurt if it makes for a better phone.   Apple shouldn't cut off its nose to spite its face.
    the system font look is a bit variable in 7, set it how you like.