Hands-on with the new Grey, Gold & Silver iPhone 5s with leather cases

Comments

• Reply 41 of 85
    Am I the only one that thinks it's odd that they went so far out of their way to eliminate faux leather grain from iOS but then tout these leather grained cases?
  • Reply 42 of 85
    Originally Posted by -cj- View Post

Am I the only one that thinks it's odd that they went so far out of their way to eliminate faux leather grain from iOS but then tout these leather grained cases?

Can leather stop looking like leather?

• Reply 43 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I use a simple 'ultraslim' SENA case where the phone just slides in/out. The phone stays fully protected when not in use, and I get to touch/feel the real thing -- nothing more, nothing less -- when I need to actually use it.

There are two problems with those cases, however: (i) I've had to replace them once a year (since the stitching and the leather expand with regular use); (ii) The model with the hole for the lightning connector does not have a hole for the headphone jack, and vice versa.

y'know something like that may actually work though not what I originally considered...esp because I'm one of those practical people who actually likes to use a holster instead of carrying it in my hands all the time (or shoving in my jeans pocket).  Adds geekiness to my "look" but oh well...thanks.

• Reply 44 of 85
    The Black `Space Gray' is an homage to NeXTSTEP. It's the one I'm buying and nice to see the teams still remember.
  • Reply 45 of 85
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    -cj- wrote: »

It would be odd if they chose plastic that looked like leather. Leather is leather.
  • Reply 46 of 85

Quote:

Apple also offers a series of five leather form-fit cases ($39 each) for the three metallic finishes of iPhone 5s, in yellow, beige, blue, brown, black and Product(Red).

Pretty sure that's six, Dilger.  ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

...snarkish remark: DED should re-title to "The 25 second hands on review".

Yeah, was thinking the same thing.  With all the stuff stolen from the Keynote, at first I wondered if he'd even gotten those 25 seconds.  That's not an unfair complaint -- this doesn't quite fit the "hands-on" genre, does it?

But we clicked...

• Reply 47 of 85
    applguy wrote: »
    DED - Could you at least use iMovie to create a decent video i.e., edit the background sound out.

They're not his video's; these were upped on YouTube yesterday by a different user. One would presume he'd use his own channel
    philboogie wrote: »
    PS why is DED putting his name over other people's video?

It's not anyone else's video. 

Link?
    PS why is DED putting his name over other people's video?

Hey, yeah. Already has an AppleInsider watermark; why does it need another?

The narcism-ist ¡
  • Reply 48 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And I have friends who had to replace their back on the 4/4S because they dropped their phone and the glass broke. I dropped my iPhone 5 (when it was caseless) and all I had were a couple nicks around the chamfered edges. Otherwise not a scratch.

Hope you are correct that is the 5 is just or more durable as the 4S, I for one don't like cases.
  • Reply 49 of 85
    When I first heard "Gold", I thought it would look like something Quark would carry on [I]Deep Space Nine[/I], but it's much more subdued, like all the Fords in their ads for a few years there. It was a little wimpy for a car, actually, but looks pretty good on the iPhone.

I really preferred the much redder, coppery bronze metallic in all the Nissan ads—if Apple comes out with that color, I'd be all over that! Back in the real world, I guess it's "Space Gray" for me....
  • Reply 50 of 85
    When I first heard "Gold", I thought it would look like something Quark would carry on Deep Space Nine, but it's much more subdued, like all the Fords in their ads for a few years there. It was a little wimpy for a car, actually, but looks pretty good on the iPhone.

I really preferred the much redder, coppery bronze metallic in all the Nissan ads—if Apple comes out with that color, I'd be all over that! Back in the real world, I guess it's "Space Gray" for me....

I also thought I'd go for the gray one, but looking at the gold one in a red case...not bad. Though I wasn't planning on putting it in a case; didn't do that with my 5.

• Reply 51 of 85
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    philboogie wrote: »
    I also thought I'd go for the gray one, but looking at the gold one in a red case...not bad. Though I wasn't planning on putting it in a case; didn't do that with my 5.

I never noticed they removed the home button icon until now. That's the first time they've done that in an iOS device. Looks a bit odd but at least the ring highlights the button.
  • Reply 52 of 85
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    The Black `Space Gray' is an homage to NeXTSTEP. It's the one I'm buying and nice to see the teams still remember.
    So it was the software team that came up with that name then?
  • Reply 53 of 85
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    cpsro wrote: »
    When the next generation iPhone comes out, I think these two-tone designs are going to look like something from the '70s--as if they don't already.

That would be avocado and orange though, with a shag pile case ;)
  • Reply 54 of 85
    Marvin wrote: »
    I never noticed they removed the home button icon until now. That's the first time they've done that in an iOS device. Looks a bit odd but at least the ring highlights the button.

I noticed that too and hunted around to see if I could find a picture of the grey model showing the ring real well. I couldn't. Even on the Apple website all the face shots of the grey model are cut off above the home button. I'm sure it's subtle as compared the gold or silver on white. I guess that's why there isn't an all black model, so there is a little contrast to the ring to indicate the button. I'm in the market for this one. I think I'll go grey. But I'm keeping an open mind.
  • Reply 55 of 85
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    That gold is just hideous..
  • Reply 56 of 85
    rogifan wrote: »
    So it was the software team that came up with that name then?

Hmm, I presume he means the colour:

• Reply 57 of 85
    I noticed that too and hunted around to see if I could find a picture of the grey model showing the ring real well.

• Reply 58 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

hot.

• Reply 59 of 85

Incroyable et révolutionnaire! Je vais acheter 5 d'entre eux et regarder vers le bas sur les téléphones Android utilisées par les pauvres des pauvres! Est-ce que le S reposer supérieure?

• Reply 60 of 85
    Thank you guys.