10% bigger battery in iPhone 5s to boost talk, LTE use times by 2 hours

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmayes86 View Post

He's right though.... This is crazy. Stop tolling everyone. iPhone battery life should be better. Understand that point. It's the truth. They need to stop upping the speed so much and actually extended the battery life a bit.

I finally decided to join this site and take part of the conversation but if I have to deal with people like you trolling every post and calling me a liar. Then claiming that there are ways to circumvent the issue when I have explored every option and you obviously have no experience with this issue yourself.

I'm done with this site already. You couldn't be any more annoying while contributing any less. 

I hope you will decide to stay. We need more reasonable people here. Please also note the red flag so you can report abusive posts when he tells you to shut up or calls you a liar. Just click his abusive posts with the red flag and report them.

• Reply 42 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rhino_tuff View Post

I would think the biggest benefit of a bigger screen would be...  A bigger screen.

I don't think anyone would disagree with that besides some trolls. A bigger screen would be fantastic but nice to have the bonus of longer battery life as well since more room for a much larger battery. 

• Reply 43 of 67
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    3-4 hours means something is wrong. My old 4s also last all day unless I'm doing crazy stuff like constantly taking pics and editing them all day.
  • Reply 44 of 67
    I just read that the new M7 chip knows when the device is not being used, so it slows down the network "pings", which should improve life as well.
  • Reply 45 of 67
    Quote:

Airport at 6am Home around midnight. Medium use throughout the day.

Trust me, it's dead by 3. (No lie)

My point is, can we stop doubling speed every year and give us an all day battery life? Similar to what they did with the MacBook Air this year. 

Is there another phone out there that could handle 18 hours of 'medium' use? I doubt it, which makes slagging Apple for it a little weird.

My wife's 4 still lasts her all day (i.e. 7am - 5pm, often even later) after 3 years of what I'd call heavy use. Perhaps the 5 is universally worse - but I really doubt it.

• Reply 46 of 67
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

My 4S lasts a couple of days with moderate use, never had issues at all.

and that's the rub isn't it? Weigh down the phone so the people on the edges of power usage get the battery duration they feel they "should" get while weighing down the rest of us with a too heavy phone? Or just let market forces provide any number of very nice solutions to the more marginal user (Juice packs, the ones mentioned above etc., spare chargers for work and home such as I went for, a car charger as I used with my 3GS and 4's): or like pressure proof cases for the few who want to dive with their phone rather than burdening all of us with what that would weigh and bulk were all phones certified to 100 meters in water depth.

When I backpack my 5 goes in an Otterbox Armor, I wouldn't want that it "should" be capable of withstanding the water, shock and debris of the mountain trails all the time: TOO heavy and bulky. As they say my mileage varies.

• Reply 47 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Is there another phone out there that could handle 18 hours of 'medium' use? I doubt it, which makes slagging Apple for it a little weird.

My wife's 4 still lasts her all day (i.e. 7am - 5pm, often even later) after 3 years of what I'd call heavy use. Perhaps the 5 is universally worse - but I really doubt it.

Read what I'm suggesting...

"My point is, can we stop doubling speed every year and give us an all day battery life? Similar to what they did with the MacBook Air this year."

• Reply 48 of 67
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

"My point is, can we stop doubling speed every year and give us an all day battery life? Similar to what they did with the MacBook Air this year."

I know a couple of backpackers who really like these, needed because they use their phone as their navigation gps mapper.

http://www.mophie.com

• Reply 49 of 67
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Why and how? He's both an Apple fan but feels he's not getting the battery life he should be getting getting. How does one invalidate the other? Maybe he just needs guidance or education. 

You do not need to mention you're an Apple fan. You're here, so we're pretty sure you like Apple unless you're trolling.

Also not many smart phones get 16 hrs on one charge unless it weighs like a brick.
  • Reply 50 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

I know a couple of backpackers who really like these, needed because they use their phone as their navigation gps mapper.

http://www.mophie.com

Yeah that's what I use as well.

• Reply 51 of 67

Will our iPhone 5 battery cases work for the 5s? I know it is practically identical but wondering about the extra flash for the camera. Just wondering if the case will cover that flash or not. 

• Reply 52 of 67
    I
    tmayes86 wrote: »

I don't think that's how processor upgrades work. If it were, why hasn't any other manufacturer come out with an all-day phone?

You can't simply under clock the processor and double your battery life. Igzo screens, incremental processor upgrades, software optimization etc etc will slowly increase battery life, as phones have done the past few years.

Until we get supercapacitors I don't think we will see huge leaps like you hope.
  • Reply 53 of 67
    Quote:

Okay professor, so how can I get through my long travel days without my phone dying?

Let's first establish a baseline.

1) Charge your phone to 100%, shut it down, restart, turn Airplane mode, put the phone down, and come back in a couple of hours, the longer it sits there the more accurate the measurement will be, easiest is probably to do this overnight. 

2) Next test is to do the same but switch on WiFi (you can turn on WiFi individually in Airplane mode.

3) Do the same as 1) but go out of Airplane mode but keep Wifi shutdown, and also look under General -> Usage -> Cellular Usage what the count is there and what it is at the end of the experiment.

With a network on, there is obviously some randomness as you might receive a lot of emails one hour but not the next. There are more tests one can do, with Bluetooth, notifications, iCloud, Location services, and so on, or doing 3) in different locations. In particular location services can be enabled app by app which can give a lot granularity. GPS is really sucking the battery dry fast, I can drain my battery within a couple of hours if I want to, in particular if the GPS signal is weak (eg, inside a car). 

The point of this is to isolate the biggest battery eaters, and hopefully not using some of them can be accomplished with only a small loss in overall phone functionality. But if test 1) doesn't match the quoted standby time something is amiss (extrapolate, ie, in 2.5 h should go down only 1%, but that is not very accurate, 99.4% can round down to 99% and 98.5% can round up to 99%, but doing that overnight should give some usable results). And travelling is tough, no doubt, there is simply way to much network switching. But sometimes, only extra battery cases or chargers will get you

My iPhone 5 (which is almost a year old has gone through my day and still has 73% (ok, the day is not fully over). Usage was limited to  2.5 h of podcasts, including download them, an hour of radio streaming and a few RSS readers refreshing and reading. But only Apple's own 'Cell Network Search', 'Diagnostics & Usage' and 'Genius for Apps' have accessed location services.

• Reply 54 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

You do not need to mention you're an Apple fan. You're here, so we're pretty sure you like Apple unless you're trolling.

Also not many smart phones get 16 hrs on one charge unless it weighs like a brick.

That's just it, if a post isn't praising an Apple device or someone voices an issue about their PERSONAL experience, then he thinks they're trolling. No constructive help or suggestions, just "shut up and go away". If he is intolerant of it then he should just go away.

Edit: He obviously has no kids. With a 3 year old asking "Why, Daddy" 50 times a day, he'd tell him/her to "go away" before long.

• Reply 55 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ScartArt View Post

4S and 5 are both really poor for battery life, my old 4 was much better. The biggest benefit for Apple producing a bigger screened iPhone would be so they can fit in a larger battery. Having a phone that can last all day shouldn't be too much to ask.

Battery ratings stayed the same or have gone:

- 3G to 3GS: up

- 3GS to 4: up

- 4 to 4S: down (except for the ones using 3G which went up, likely the 3G chips got better but the A5 used more juice than the A4)

- 4S to 5: up

- 5 to 5S: up

The problem likely is that the newer OSes simply can do more and more in the background (eg, iCloud), app usage might also have gone up.

• Reply 56 of 67
    That's just it, if a post isn't praising an Apple device or someone voices an issue about their PERSONAL experience, then he thinks they're trolling. No constructive help or suggestions, just "shut up and go away". If he is intolerant of it then he should just go away.

Edit: He obviously has no kids. With a 3 year old asking "Why, Daddy" 50 times a day, he'd tell him/her to "go away" before long.

There's the thing though, you can say I have an issue with my iPhone/Mac/whatever but as soon as you say "big Apple fan here" or list your Apple purchases, we get skeptical. Have you ever heard sports fans saying "been a fan since 1980 and have all their season highlights on DVD. "

Oh you can have an opinion just as long as you don't predict doom because you don't see the value is something.
  • Reply 57 of 67
    Quote:

My 4S lasts a couple of days with moderate use, never had issues at all.

All my iPhones (3G, 4, 5) have on maybe 99.5% of all days lasted through the day. Only when I travel or use the GPS more than just few times or something runs amok on the phone (it gets warm then and I restart it and the problem is solved), can things get tight, but I still last it through the day by just taking radical steps like airplane mode or a complete shutdown. One of the days when it did die was a few months back when it died about 10 minutes before I went to bed. I have strong WiFi at home and at work, don't know if that helps.

Right now mine is at 71% and I'm about to go to bed.

• Reply 58 of 67
    I find the power usage of my 4S to be all over the place. the other night I went to bed (around 11ish) at 75% so I didn't bother plugging it in. The alarm didn't go off at 6.30 as it was dead.

I have turned off everything and killed it between 8am and 2pm, using gps and touristing can be a hog.

Even tho some love to say apps dont consume power in the background, one of the most consistent powerhogs is iBooks. if I leave it in the background, I pretty much guarantee that my battery will disappear.

Hoping that the 5S will improving having to charge every afternoon (its on the charger now at 4pm - only listened to a bit of music all day, no real browsing).

I would be fine with a slightly thicker heavier phone if it gave me more battery life.
  • Reply 59 of 67
    cycomiko wrote: »
    I find the power usage of my 4S to be all over the place. the other night I went to bed (around 11ish) at 75% so I didn't bother plugging it in. The alarm didn't go off at 6.30 as it was dead.

I have turned off everything and killed it between 8am and 2pm, using gps and touristing can be a hog.

Even tho some love to say apps dont consume power in the background, one of the most consistent powerhogs is iBooks. if I leave it in the background, I pretty much guarantee that my battery will disappear.

Hoping that the 5S will improving having to charge every afternoon (its on the charger now at 4pm - only listened to a bit of music all day, no real browsing).

I would be fine with a slightly thicker heavier phone if it gave me more battery life.

That is strange. My 4S doesn't have that problem. I go to bed with 30% and it may drop to 20% but never had it drop to 0%. Something is happening. Perhaps GPS is still sucking the life out if it. Do you have any geo fencing reminders?
  • Reply 60 of 67
    Quote:

That is strange. My 4S doesn't have that problem. I go to bed with 30% and it may drop to 20% but never had it drop to 0%. Something is happening. Perhaps GPS is still sucking the life out if it. Do you have any geo fencing reminders?

Quote:

Yep, monitoring location service access is a key step in understanding power use (with geo fencing using location services). Same applies for any network usage. And things can crash in the background without any clear indication only that the device gets warm.