Hands-on with the new iPhone 5c & color cases

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    mj web wrote: »
    If Apple went out of its way to produce hideously garish colors I don't think it could top the butt f-ugly palate they intro'd yesterday. The most complimentary thing I can say about these colors is they're reminiscent of bodily functions. Maybe I'm wrong and these colors will attract teeny boppers in Asia. I hope so for my AAPL sake and stake.

This is the first time I've seen Apple stumble on a design in quite some time. Very disappointed in these colors!
    Speak for yourself. Ever since the color iPod Touches came out, I have wanted an iPhone that was any color but black or white. And while the champagne 5s looks nice, the price point for the 5c is closer to what I can afford. In fact, I can get a 32gb 5c for the price of a 16gb 5s. I don't like the polka-dot cutouts of the cases, but clear cases are cheap and easy to find.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

So it's not cheap- we get it. But why buy it if for $100 more you get so much more? in other words- why should anyone buy this?

well... it was never ever going to be cheap. Apple wants you to spend more, Apple needs people to purchase higher value products.

With the change from 3gs to 4, to get the latest and greatest, people had to buy the 4, it was a real visually and performance difference.

With the change from 4to 4s, there was no real difference, so people on a budget got the 4 with no visual difference to let anyone else know. Its a compromise on performance, but not looks. Apple noticed this.

With the change from 4s to 5, that difference in design made it apparent if you had the older model, which still sold well but apple really want people to move up to that 5.

With the change from 5 to 5s, if they looked the same apple would have been caught in the same situation as before, people compromising performance but not looks (and with the 5s the majority of gains are performance).

So how do you encourage the purchase of a higher value product? Change the looks of the 5 - the new 'midrange' product. Now if pick the midrange and get the 5c there is a compromise in performance and looks.

Plus, with the colour options, you may pick up the 'on the fence' android crowd who like a bit of colour.

Drive your current purchasers up the value chain, while adding the onthefence randoms on the value chain. Sounds like a win win for apple.
  • Reply 43 of 49
    mj web wrote: »
    If Apple went out of its way to produce hideously garish colors I don't think it could top the butt f-ugly palate they intro'd yesterday. The most complimentary thing I can say about these colors is they're reminiscent of bodily functions. Maybe I'm wrong and these colors will attract teeny boppers in Asia. I hope so for my AAPL sake and stake.

This is the first time I've seen Apple stumble on a design in quite some time. Very disappointed in these colors!

I hate to break it to ya... but Apple and it's specific color palettes have been the "Style Guide" for diverse industries for more than a decade.

Whether house wares and furniture, tech gadgets, auto styling, and even fashion... designers have taken a clue to what's the future "in" colors to create their products.

So you might want to consider a "Barf Sack" in your personal color of choice (brown?) NOW... rather than wait for them all to turn up around X-mas in the Apple palette of colors.

As always... just sayin'.... :smokey:
  • Reply 44 of 49
    "The lock switch, power and volume buttons on the iPhone 5c are color matched with the body color, and feel as solid and precise as the previous iPhone 5, which used metal components."

The lock switch, power and volume buttons on the iPhone 5c are made of plastic?
  • Reply 45 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I hate to break it to ya... but Apple and it's specific color palettes have been the "Style Guide" for diverse industries for more than a decade.

Whether house wares and furniture, tech gadgets, auto styling, and even fashion... designers have taken a clue to what's the future "in" colors to create their products.

So you might want to consider a "Barf Sack" in your personal color of choice (brown?) NOW... rather than wait for them all to turn up around X-mas in the Apple palette of colors.

As always... just sayin'.... :smokey:

Absolutely correct. The color trends for this year included the muted pastels such as Apple chose. For next year the design industry is predicting (pushing) blues.
    http://www.casasugar.com/Pantone-Color-Design-Trends-2013-22202458
  • Reply 46 of 49

Vous fans de Apple drôle! Vous connaissez le C dans 5C est synonyme de merde!

• Reply 47 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

The face front should have been white not black. It would have been a knock-out looks wise

Totally agree. Why did they do that? White front on color bodies would follow the iPods which look sooo much better than the black front on color bodies. The colors just work better off of white.

My hope is that next year when the 5c model bumps down to replace the 4s, that it will only come in black. THEN maybe the new 5c's will get the better white fronts on color bodies. So you would have the new 6 in three colors, the new 5c (5sc?) in five colors with white front, and the replacement for 4s in all black. 

Also next year, Apple's new tiered phone structure will be in full swing and make more sense b/c next year's 5c replacement will probably have the fingerprint sensor and A7. And the new least expensive option (the current 4s) would have the A6, lightning connector and 4" screen that brings it more in line with the rest of the family (and a perceived more attractive option as a free on contract alternative and the "cool" low cost one everyone wanted this year)

• Reply 48 of 49
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Just read an article on NPR how the color cases could potentially create a divide between high end iPhone users and low-end. If you buy the 4S, people don't know if you bought it 2 years ago for full price or the new one for free. The new color phones broadcast to everyone that you bought the cheap phone no matter when you bought it. If Apple further differentiates them next year with the free model,it could become the really cheap phone, the cheap phone, and the real iPhone. Depending on how many people buy iPhones for status, the whole 5c could backfire on them.
  • Reply 49 of 49
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Just read an article on NPR how the color cases could potentially create a divide between high end iPhone users and low-end. If you buy the 4S, people don't know if you bought it 2 years ago for full price or the new one for free. The new color phones broadcast to everyone that you bought the cheap phone no matter when you bought it. If Apple further differentiates them next year with the free model,it could become the really cheap phone, the cheap phone, and the real iPhone. Depending on how many people buy iPhones for status, the whole 5c could backfire on them.

Sounds more like people should stop their vain whining and just buy whatever iPhone they can afford.