iPhone 5S: Can't I use a 3D printer to create a fake finger with a real fingerprint on it?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

With such a big deal being made about the iPhone 5S's fingerprint reader I really wonder how secure it is to use fingerprints instead of passwords.

I am reminded of the James Bond movie where a Mr Kill's severed hand is used on a palm or fingerprint reader to open a door.

If you can snag a roommate's or coworker's fingerprint off a coffee cup or desk surface or keyboard and create a 3D copy of it then you can break into their iPhone 5S, over and over.

You can even get fancy and use a 3D printer to create a fake finger that has the copied fingerprint on its tip.

Forgive me for saying, but Apple's inclusion of a fingerprint reader in an iPhone smacks of "security theater". It's not a serious solution.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5

Of course not. Save your assessments for when you actually know something about the tech.

• Reply 2 of 5
    I just heard of that it is easy to make fake fingerprint i am not sure iphone5s is secure
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Originally Posted by nivek View Post

I just heard of that it is easy to make fake fingerprint i am not sure iphone5s is secure

You just heard a lie. Stop listening to every idiot on the street. They don't know anything about this device.

• Reply 4 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">I just heard of that it is easy to make fake fingerprint i am not sure iphone5s is secure</span>

You just heard a lie. Stop listening to every idiot on the street. They don't know anything about this device.

This appears to be a Samsung affiliate, posting on an Android phone (I would hazard a guess that it's a Samsung one) in their HQ province. Apple has delivered some hardware they can't copy easily so the only tactic left instead of copying it is to suggest it's not worth copying. That is until they figure out how to copy it next year and that's when it'll be secure enough.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

This appears to be a Samsung affiliate, posting on an Android phone (I would hazard a guess that it's a Samsung one) in their HQ province. Apple has delivered some hardware they can't copy easily so the only tactic left instead of copying it is to suggest it's not worth copying. That is until they figure out how to copy it next year and that's when it'll be secure enough.

Wait, that person's account? Talk about EVIL. AI should run a story on this.

Oh, wait, the whole confidentiality thing where "we won't share your personal information" or whatnot. Horrible.