Citing iPhone 5s yields & iPhone 5c pricing, Jefferies lowers Apple target to $425

Comments

• Reply 21 of 140
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jonl View Post

Jefferies is Peter Misek, right? Google /misek track record/.

Misek is a moron with a lousy track record.  He has always been negative on AAPL.  Probably in the pocket of the shorts.

• Reply 22 of 140

Buy APPL

• Reply 23 of 140
    Odd to release the 5s to every country when they have production problems. Seems like the easiest way to hide that would be to first release to the US then slowly add additional countries.

But whatever, I think people are getting used to Apple not executing crisply on new products. We'll see for sure in a couple weeks what supply and demand are really like.
  • Reply 24 of 140
    These analysts want an 'innovative' $400 phone - as good as a top-of-the-line iPhone but low-priced. And by the way, keep those margins up at the same time!

Seriously, the difference is $150 between their price and the actual no-contract 5c price (which helps Apple to meet margin expectations). You still have to get service somewhere, and that's where the real cost resides. If I am still willing to pay $100 a month for enough minutes, data, and messages to satisfy my needs, do they think that I am sweating it over the $150? If my monthly service costs were $20, then the $150 would make a difference.

There are lot of ways to pay for a smartphone these days and lot of carriers. But anybody who doesn't have $549 probably doesn't have $400 plus the service cost to use a smartphone. In the end, a smartphone is still a luxury and not a necessity.
  • Reply 25 of 140
    If Apple had introduced the iPhone 5C at $400.00 as Jeffries was expecting, Jeffries would have still lower it's Apple target using the explanation that Apple's margins were hit and the 5C would canibalize 5s sales. Apple was never going to win here.

Thankfully, the folks running Apple have had an unshakeable focus at keeping Apple out of the race to the bottom!
  • Reply 26 of 140
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Yellow??!! That was my least favorite color followed by green.

OK... to make my theory correct I'll just pretend that Apple agreed with me and didn't make too many of the yellow phones.

My sister just got an email on the new iPhones and forwarded to to me asking why Apple chooses such ugly colors. I hate to say it but it could be a swing and a miss color wise.
  • Reply 27 of 140
    This "analysis" makes no sense: yield on sensors is too low to meet demand, so therefore apple is cutting orders? Damn these smart guys are dumb.
  • Reply 28 of 140
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    spaceage wrote: »
    This "analysis" makes no sense: yield on sensors is too low to meet demand, so therefore apple is cutting orders? Damn these smart guys are dumb.

I think he's saying they don't need some of the other phone parts if they don't have enough touch sensors to complete devices. Therefore some of the other component orders are being cut.
  • Reply 29 of 140
    Quote:

Originally Posted by squareback View Post

Buy APPL

That way you will lose less money than if you bought AAPL.

• Reply 30 of 140
    Yellow sold out preorder. Wonder what the production numbers were.
  • Reply 31 of 140
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

If Apple had introduced the iPhone 5C at $400.00 as Jeffries was expecting, Jeffries would have still lower it's Apple target using the explanation that Apple's margins were hit and the 5C would canibalize 5s sales.

That argument makes no sense. If I'm not going to buy an 5C at $550 but I would buy it at $400, how is that cannibalizing 5s Sales?

• Reply 32 of 140
    interdyne wrote: »
    Global investment banking firm Jefferies released a report on Friday that lowers drops its price target for shares of AAPL from $450 to $425. 
    Two things, first "lowers drops" is a term I'm not familiar with

That did pop out; just delete one of those words. Happens all the the time in this site.
    Second, this explains why no pre-ordering of iPhone 5S.  They don't have enough to fulfill pre-order demand. 

Or could it be that they have so many they don't even need to know how many people want whatever model.? Pre-ordering 1 week in advance isn't going to solve a shortage problem anyhoo.
    I hope they get it resolved soon. I want my iPhone 5S now!

Hear hear!
    richl wrote: »
    That would explain why Apple is taking pre-orders for the 5c but not the 5s.

Unless someone has another theory?

See above ^
    squareback wrote: »
    Buy APPL

I'm failing to see what a petrol company has to do with this.
  • Reply 33 of 140
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scotttrader View Post

Yellow sold out preorder. Wonder what the production numbers were.

Interesting! Because I still see delivery date 9/20 for yellow iPhone 5C as well.

• Reply 34 of 140
    Why do people keep saying that yellow is sold out?

I just went to the Apple store and it shows all five colors as being delivered on 9/20.
  • Reply 35 of 140
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Interdyne View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Global investment banking firm Jefferies released a report on Friday that lowers drops its price target for shares of AAPL from $450 to $425. 

Two things, first "lowers drops" is a term I'm not familiar with

That did pop out; just delete one of those words. Happens all the the time in this site.
    Quote:

Second, this explains why no pre-ordering of iPhone 5S.  They don't have enough to fulfill pre-order demand. 

Or could it be that they have so many they don't even need to know how many people want whatever model.? Pre-ordering 1 week in advance isn't going to solve a shortage problem anyhoo.
    Quote:

I hope they get it resolved soon. I want my iPhone 5S now!

Hear hear!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

That would explain why Apple is taking pre-orders for the 5c but not the 5s.

Unless someone has another theory?

See above ^
    Quote:

Originally Posted by squareback View Post

Buy APPL

I'm failing to see what a petrol company has to do with this.

Takes petroleum to make plastics? Hehe

• Reply 36 of 140
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Why do people keep saying that yellow is sold out?

I just went to the Apple store and it shows all five colors as being delivered on 9/20.

I think it was just the yellow 16GB.

EDIT: You're right. The yellow 16gb still shows the 20th. Perhaps it was just Sprint with no more yellow 16GB ones?
  • Reply 37 of 140
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I think it was just the yellow 16GB.

Yellow 16 GB has delivery date of 9/20 as well. Just checked. Not sure if the delivery date depends on the region though!?

• Reply 38 of 140

Funny I don't see Mercedes, Ferrari, Jaguar etc. producing cheap autos to gain market share. They have an image of high quality products to maintain just like Apple wants to keep it's image of delivering high quality top of the line products. Apple will never release crap products just for the sake of market share. Apple continues to rake in billions in profit with their current market share while other companies struggle to make much profit with their cheap crappy phones. Apple may use the iPhone 4 and 4s as entry level or they can always lower the price on the 5c if need be. These so called analyst are a joke and stock manipulators. There's a shortage of the 5s so Apple decided to offer the phone in China, get real, if there is a shortage it will be from the huge demand not production problems. Every single phone Apple comes out with we always get the stupid production problem rumors. Funny how no other company seems to get these rumors.

• Reply 39 of 140
    Check channel ? If they are that smart to check , tell me what Apple will wow us this fall .
  • Reply 40 of 140
    Apple is most likely taking pre-orders on 5c so that they can get a better grip on distribution. If it's available in 10 countries, some countries might prefer some colors over others. It would be a mess if they evenly distributed each of the colors to 10 countries. Pre-orders allows Apple to sell everything they have in the right places.
    That's my uneducated guess.