Citing iPhone 5s yields & iPhone 5c pricing, Jefferies lowers Apple target to $425

Comments

• Reply 81 of 140
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    drblank wrote: »
    Apple's innovating fast enough, it's just the mfg plants can't produce their innovations fast enough. That's what happens when you innovate.

intel can't innovate fast enough to get their XEON and Thunderbolt 2 chipsets out fast enough for Apple's other innovations. So, who's at fault? Intel? They can't innovate and mfg fast enough.

Or how about TSMC's mfg, can they spit out enough A7 chips fast enough to keep up with Apple's innovation?

God, I am so sick of the word innovation. It's now the most overused word in the industry and it's catching on in other industries.

What about the saying "thinking outside the box"? That was overused and now it's coming back around becoming overused.

How come the media doesn't rip apart the OEM Android IDIOTS that can't keep up with OS updates? NOT ONE SINGLE OEM ANDROID PRODUCT SHIPS WITH 4.3, which is the latest version. What's wrong with these idiots? Can't they INNOVATE?

What's wrong with Android, can't they come out with 64 bit chips in their smartphones? Can't they innovate fast enough?

Nice rant. Thanks.

Apple and Authentec are supposed to just throw a switch and start making millions of something that's never been made before. If there are shortages it's the fault of "management." Not unknowns in the technology of mass manufacturing something new, but "management."

People like asdasd and pazuzu should be put to work on the floor sawing sapphire for eighty days, ten hours a day.
  • Reply 82 of 140
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"Jefferies' channel checks indicate that production yields on the fingerprint sensor Apple included in the 5s "have been terrible.""

Yeah, right. "Jeffries", you're an idiot.

Yes, they're basically admitting to obtaining market data illegally or just lying.

• Reply 83 of 140
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Anyone familiar with iPhone4U? Just wondering if this is an outlier or indicative of what sales will be.

iPhone 5S & iPhone 5C demand “truly phenomenal”

I'm not familiar with them, since I don't live in the UK, but.......from wiki......

Phones 4u is a large independent mobile phone retailer in the United Kingdom. It is part of the 4u Group based in Newcastle-under-LymeStaffordshire. Since opening in 1996, it has expanded to over 600 stores throughout the UK.

• Reply 84 of 140
    And so the analyst spoke: thou shall be punished for being innovative!

Innovative? They took last years phone and tossed it into a god awful pastel plastic shell. What's so innovative about that?
  • Reply 85 of 140
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

What's wrong with Android, can't they come out with 64 bit chips in their smartphones? Can't they innovate fast enough?

That's the laugher Apple has set the world up for. Amazing the "tech" media hasn't seen that even now.

• Reply 86 of 140
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with them, since I don't live in the UK, but.......from wiki......

Phones 4u is a large independent <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone" style="background-image:none;color:rgb(6,69,173);" target="_blank" title="Mobile phone">mobile phone</a>
     retailer in the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom" style="background-image:none;color:rgb(6,69,173);" target="_blank" title="United Kingdom">United Kingdom</a>
    . It is part of the 4u Group based in <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcastle-under-Lyme" style="background-image:none;color:rgb(6,69,173);" target="_blank" title="Newcastle-under-Lyme">Newcastle-under-Lyme</a>
    , <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staffordshire" style="background-image:none;color:rgb(6,69,173);" target="_blank" title="Staffordshire">Staffordshire</a>
    . Since opening in 1996, it has expanded to over 600 stores throughout the UK.

Soo...I wonder of this means iPhone color sales will be bigger than expected? I don't want to read too much in to one report. I said I didn't think Apple would announce sales of the iPhone color but if the numbers are good I think they might just to shut up some of the negativity.
  • Reply 87 of 140
    With Steve Jobs long gone, Wall Street can give Apple a low a share price as it wants and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Tim Cook is a feeble CEO who is easily pushed around. I'm sure it's not easy for Tim to stand forever in Steve Jobs shadow, but it's either that or leave. Apple is run by a bunch of softies who let rivals walk all over them. If Apple were like Microsoft, half of those Android smartphone and tablet vendors would have been put out of business already. I still think that Apple needs to go after Google with a search engine and start taking away Google's search engine market share like Android is doing to Apple. Pretty soon Apple isn't going to have a pot to piss in as Android OS floods the industry with the cheapest smartphones possible. Wall Street will just stand there and laugh as Apple's market share dwindles away.

It really doesn't matter how much profit Apple makes, as as the iPhone's market share declines, Apple's shareholder value will decline. Apple should also buy a couple of media companies to reverse-manipulate all the FUD that's thrown their way. All I know is that for a company that's sitting on a Mt. Everest-sized pile of cash it should never be in the predicament it's in now. Wall Street is deliberately downgrading Apple just for kicks because it knows Tim Cook won't retaliate.
  • Reply 88 of 140
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The 4S is an old phone. It will be supported for one iOS upgrade. 7.

• Reply 89 of 140

I don't believe a word from this guy. Every year it's the same game. Drop the price targets and come up with some reason as to why Apple is doomed. Wait a week or too and then let reality raise the stock price... sell = profit.  Remember what Tim Cook said? Don't try to read supply chain to determine what's happening.  It's like reading tea leaves at the bottom of a cup.

I believe Apple gave the 5C a head start to differentiate between the 5S and the 5C.  It also provides more energy around the 5S launch and deals with scalpers better potentially.  Since they are launching to more countries this time around, they probably want to make sure they have enough stock at stores instead of having a stock out until the next shipment.  I don't think it has anything to do with production issues, or if it does, they have already accounted for that as best they can.

• Reply 90 of 140

Still better than any Android POS.

• Reply 91 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

[feeble, wordy doomsday rant]

This is so generic, you could have written it a year ago.  Not feeling up to a fresh screed today?

• Reply 92 of 140
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Soo...I wonder of this means iPhone color sales will be bigger than expected? I don't want to read too much in to one report. I said I didn't think Apple would announce sales of the iPhone color but if the numbers are good I think they might just to shut up some of the negativity.

I don't really mind the negativity, because there's really not much that can be done about it. It's always the same story, and when Apple announces the real figures, everybody will know what the real deal is.

Remember last year when the iPhone 5 went on sale in China? There were reports everywhere about weak sales in China and no lines. Very many "news" outlets were running with that story. And what turned out to be the real story? Yep, record breaking sales in China.

I think that it's a good idea to pay close attention to who says what and who predicts what. It's good to know which analysts and media outlets are guilty of lying and spreading false info. The same goes for this forum too. There have been many dumb comments made in recent days, and after these people have been proven wrong, they will cease to exist, as far as I'm concerned. I have no time for liars, morons and clueless people.

• Reply 93 of 140
    Quote:

No it doesn't. Apple would have produced more if they could and could sell them cheaper. I bet that was the plan but again management messed up.

I bet you're wrong.

• Reply 94 of 140
    With Steve Jobs long gone, Wall Street can give Apple a low a share price as it wants and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Tim Cook is a feeble CEO who is easily pushed around. I'm sure it's not easy for Tim to stand forever in Steve Jobs shadow, but it's either that or leave. Apple is run by a bunch of softies who let rivals walk all over them. If Apple were like Microsoft, half of those Android smartphone and tablet vendors would have been put out of business already. I still think that Apple needs to go after Google with a search engine and start taking away Google's search engine market share like Android is doing to Apple. Pretty soon Apple isn't going to have a pot to piss in as Android OS floods the industry with the cheapest smartphones possible. Wall Street will just stand there and laugh as Apple's market share dwindles away.

It really doesn't matter how much profit Apple makes, as as the iPhone's market share declines, Apple's shareholder value will decline. Apple should also buy a couple of media companies to reverse-manipulate all the FUD that's thrown their way. All I know is that for a company that's sitting on a Mt. Everest-sized pile of cash it should never be in the predicament it's in now. Wall Street is deliberately downgrading Apple just for kicks because it knows Tim Cook won't retaliate.

This is one of dumbest posts I've read on AI.

Seriously, what the hell are you talking about? Apple doing a search engine???
  • Reply 95 of 140
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

You keep coming back and posting these ridiculous rants, and ending up dead wrong in your "predictions" every time, and yet here you are again, right on schedule, "without a pot to piss in" of your own. 

I'd like you to go back and address and acknowledge ALL your previous, negative, utterly wrong-headed posts before ever posting another new one. Can ya? Huh? Pretty please?

If you don't, maybe I'll start copy-pasting the stuff you said, along with how wrong it was. And see if you'll reply...

• Reply 96 of 140
    benji888 wrote: »

Apple made a smart long term move with the 5c: because of its simpler construction, it will be much easier to produce and keep up with demand. And, next year it will be entry level iPhone, the following year, they will update the innards...it will be a design they keep in the entry level iPhone position.

These people are likely the ones that fed the low-price iPhone rumor, so that, when it didn't happen they could drive the price down, buy more, then watch it go back into a steady upswing on the long term.

I think a lot of people are overlooking the important fact of your first paragraph. It's an important new product and Apple just signed big deals in China and Japan. More time was given to the 5c on stage last week. The Apple store app features the 5c at the top. I think that's why it's only the 5c you can preorder. They want to support the somewhat unknown new product. The 5s will sell itself practically.

Oh ya, and the stock will of course go back up and past the previous losses.
  • Reply 97 of 140

This guy's argument makes no sense and he's never studied things like economics or marketing.  First, for Apple to sell a product for less doesn't equate more revenue.  There's a sweet spot with pricing strategies.  You don't want to make stuff cheaper just because you can.  If you do, you erode the value of your brand and head towards commodity which is where Android is.  Apple is a premium brand and will maintain its position there.  If you want a cheap phone, go and get one. If you want a great phone, spend the money and get the best device with customer satisfaction and service that no one else can touch.

Economically speaking... if the phone is in demand, then you don't raise the price. If the analyst is saying they can't make enough, why go through all the expense and headache to create a bunch and sacrifice quality just to drop the price.  You won't be able to sustain it. Instead, Apple has dropped the price with a new offering that is better than the original iPhone in a number of ways, while creating something that is new and innovative in the 5s.  This marketing strategy is pretty smart really because it gives me a true choice when getting a new phone. Now I'm going with the 5s, but I had to give serious thought to the 5c too.

So I guess the idea that cheaper and more is better is false. There are plenty of Android devices just collecting dust or thrown away. I have seen this with my own eyes. My iPhone 4s? You can't take it away from me.

• Reply 98 of 140
    Quote:

No it doesn't. Apple would have produced more if they could and could sell them cheaper. I bet that was the plan but again management messed up.

Well, I could start over with answering "If we take history as our guide..."

• Reply 99 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

This guy's argument makes no sense and he's never studied things like economics or marketing.  First, for Apple to sell a product for less doesn't equate more revenue.  There's a sweet spot with pricing strategies.  You don't want to make stuff cheaper just because you can.

It's also virtually impossible to raise prices if you've gone too low.

The media fails to recognize* that most Android handsets have been sold to people who don't know if they want a smartphone or don't really care if they own a smartphone--which is why most Android phones aren't used much for their Internet capabilities, not to mention the cheap construction that soon breaks and leaves the customer with an expensive brick.

In contrast, iPhones are sold to people who want them--and want them to work well for a long time to come.

*The media fails to recognize in print (as opposed to in thoughts), because so many advertising dollars are available from Android handset makers. The bigger the war waged between Apple and Android/Googorola, the more advertising money that gets placed on the table. Oh, did I forget to mention Windows Phone. Yes, it's very forgettable.

• Reply 100 of 140
    Quote:

The 4S is an old phone. It will be supported for one iOS upgrade. 7. It's not got the lure of the new.

Now if they sold the 5C at that price - we would be cooking.

I would imagine it will at LEAST get iOS 8.

It is(will be) shipping with iOS 7. 

And it will be a big seller in emerging markets at only $450, which is conveniently the price analysts were expecting.