Inside Apple's iPhone 5c: 'c' is for 'colors'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 108
    The Apple-bashers' double standards are really amusing (for certain values of "amusing"). If Samsung brought out a plastic phone with metal reinforcement molded in that also served as the antenna, they'd never stop bragging about it.

Of course Samsung would never do that (He says as he replaces the battery door that fell off his Samsung TV remote for the 10th time today).

Edit: Instead of designing the door so it would stay on, they added a plastic strap to keep it from completely falling off and getting lost. I think we can see the difference between Samsung and Apple engineering right there in a nutshell!
  • Reply 82 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by murman View Post

But I'd pick the pink case, WHATS IT TO YA?!

You said this : The consensus: the main group being, young females.

The reason I disagreed was the yellow model sold out first, and I see a lot of young guys with yellow, orange, light green cars, sure cars are not phones, the appeal is different, still, I think 5c is targeted at young people in general, and not just girls, and really females of all ages isn't it, except those who want to look serious, those would choose muted colors, guys have this thing with being macho, not wanting to look effeminate (feeeegs). Older guys definitely will reject the color, but I don't think young guys care, some of them, if you look at their fashion, and  if you choose a phone the girls like, hey, that's a conversation starter right there. Yea, you're not all that wrong, but still off man. (as if I'm totally right <- you know lets just do that).

The whole thingabout the yellow model selling out first... wasn't proven. Many people gave evidence that it was entirely false.

Even if the "main group" was 55% young females... then it's still the largest group... even if there were 25% young males and then 20% to the rest of the population.

I'm sticking with young females as the main group. Maybe there will be a poll at some point in the future. You know how much we all love polls.

• Reply 83 of 108

No No No... the C stands for "Connect Four". It is right there on the back of the phone.

• Reply 84 of 108

The C stands for Cheese Grater. They even showed it off during the keynote; geez.

• Reply 85 of 108
    I think cinema should be $5. NHL games should be $18. Beef should be $1.19/lb. Those bastards are gouging us. All cars should be black, all shirts white and all Twizzlers red. My advice is the only path to success.
  • Reply 86 of 108
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cletus View Post

[...] all Twizzlers red. 

I hate Twizzlers

• Reply 87 of 108
    mstone wrote: »
    I hate Twizzlers
    Troll! :)
  • Reply 88 of 108
    acatomic wrote: »
    So, next year the iPhone 5S will become plastic, but what designation will it get? iPhone 6C, or something else?

I know, I know it's too soon.... :)

No, because it isn't an iPhone 6. That wouldn't make any sense. Next year it will be the iPhone 5SC.

Also, don't reply to Lance. No sense when the trolling is that pathetic. Report, move on; the account will be banned shortly.
    iPhone 5(speed/security/sensors)+ Color(or for weird cheap) wont sound right because I don't want a colorful security or sensor, plus to lengthy (not even mentioning confusion in there I want the 5, no 5C or was it the 5SC, hey the S sounds good. It's just going to be a C every other year.
    malta wrote: »
    Or connect the dots for that matter
    c for cut the cheese!!!

The C basically could have been
    5Cheap-apple don't do cheap
    5China-apple don't limit to specific markets
    5Color-apple funnes away

The 5C is basically a iPhone 5 with basically plastic body and a slightly better camera/battery. So estimated same price to make, the iPhone 5C seems like a marketing for a much more attractive $100 phone when searching for a free. However the 5S is a much better $200 phone when searching for a $100 (basically to add $100 to each model of the phone). So apple is sorta trying to see if it sells well which it will likely sell more than the 4S and 4 in this stage but the 5S is being pushed to the side even if it will probably get 60-70% of all iPhone sales and the 5C get 20-40%. I was hoping the 5S would get its advantage by getting double the capacity but I guess not.
  • Reply 89 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

The most popular iPhone 5c in pre-order is the YELLO iPhone. I'd never have guessed that! Not in a million years.

See? That's why you and I are not earning the big bucks in product design.

Color forecasting is more then a science, it's an art... no, it's more then an art, it's fortune telling witchcraft!

Another reason you're not earning big bucks in product design is probably because you haven't mastered 6th grade English yet. There is a difference between "then" and "than."

• Reply 90 of 108

This is all quite funny. I was really hoping Apple would make a 5s phone with the durable case/shell of the 5c -- the case of the 5s seems to be just like the iPhone 5, and I feel like my iPhone 5 is fragile as hell --- I really wish it felt more durable if I dropped it or something. I guess that's what cases are for, but I sure wouldn't mind a colored plastic 5s with those features like the camera improvements, A7, M7, and fingerprint sensor!

• Reply 91 of 108
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lance Newcomb View Post

iPhone 5c is for "Cheap". Its supposed to be ironic since its actually very expensive being only $100 less than the significantly better iPhone 5s and a major downgrade from the iPhone5.

How the **** is it a "major downgrade" since it has identical specs, and higher in some regards (HD front cam, more LTE bands, bigger battery, etc)? Oh wait, nevermind, you're a mindless troll with no regard for the facts. 

• Reply 92 of 108
    I was hoping the 5S would get its advantage by getting double the capacity but I guess not.

A couple of years ago, I remember Apple made such a huge buy of flash memory that it constrained the supply for everybody else. I'm sure capacity has increased, but—if Apple doubled their storage capacity on the iPhone, is there enough flash memory in the world to cover that?
  • Reply 93 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

It really rubs me the wrong way when people describe the iPhone 5C as a "new" phone. IT'S NOT!!! It has the exact same internals as an iPhone 5 (with the exception of a slightly larger battery and slightly better front camera). All they did was put it into a plastic case instead of a metal case. The price is exactly the same as the 5 would have been had Apple continued to offer it. The only difference is now Apple will definitely be making more money per handset since the casing material (and likely the manufacturing process) is much cheaper. The consumer gets a phone that does exactly nothing better than the iPhone 5 did at the same price. As one of the earlier commenters said, C stands for "CHEAP." It's not cheap in the sense that it costs less, it's cheap in that Apple is giving you a worse phone for the same price you would have paid for the iPhone 5.

It's a new product line with a new design, at a new price point (for something that isn't last year's model), that comes in new colors. I think you're confusing "new" with "cutting edge specs". 

When the white MacBooks (and subsequent redesigns) came out, no one said "Hey this isn't new, this uses the same Toshiba hard drive as the MacBook Pro, but in lower capacities!" 

Repackaging existing technology at different price points and designs count as "new" in my book. For "most forward-looking", see the 5S. 

• Reply 94 of 108
    Love how you try to tie together the 5c with Apple's colorful past. Look how gutless and lifeless the colors are compared to the original iMac and the Nano.
    Pastels. Who in gods name in Cupertino is a) so in love with flipping pastels, and b) in charge of color selection?
    This is literally the ugliest iPhone they've ever built.
  • Reply 95 of 108

One of the main reason to buy an iPhone is to show others that you have money, that you are rich! At least that is in less developed markets like Eastern Europe, probably China, India, etc. A few days ago someone asked me if she should buy an iPhone 4 with a 2 years contract and give up the current HTC One X. I asked if she realized the iPhone 4 is an old inferior phone and she said it doesn't matter, it's an iPhone. Then I've asked her what she thinks about the new iPhone 5c and the answer was, "That's not an iPhone, it doesn't LOOK like an iPhone, it looks more plastic y than her current One X ". And she bought the glass and metal iPhone 4 that looks like an iPhone.

• Reply 96 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tzb View Post

I was really hoping the 5C was going to be priced starting at $450 off-contract / $0 on-contract.  Instead we have the same "popcorn at the show" pricing model as always, with the 5S standing as a much better value at only a $100 price difference.  I guess that is the plan though.

In terms of physical design, I think the 5C is fantastic.  However, I am not liking the cases.  Holes in the back look silly IMO, and are going to collect so much lint and debris in the pocket.

Don't they have 3rd party cases for the 5C?

• Reply 97 of 108
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    The best plastic-backed phone ever made, because of the steel antennas that serve as interior structure, because of the architectural shape, and because of the molding, machining and finishing.

The phone is cheaper than we have reason to expect, because normally Apple would be selling the unchanged 5 for this price, and instead we're getting a better front camera, more battery, better radios, and a new case with a lot of production overhead to write down at first. And the case makes for a better phone for the intended market, since it will be much more rugged for the young novice device owners who now living with broken screens and broken or dented backs.

Once the relatively difficult plastic back manufacture is ramped up (who knew they would go to these lengths?) the price can start to come down and maybe more colors will be offered.

On the color palette, they know exactly what they're doing. These colors certainly aren't any I would choose, but once again for the intended market, e.g., the Asian teeny bopper, they're probably the ones they need to start out with. They remind me of the Volkswagen Beetle colors that came with the car about ten years ago. Powder-puff colors we called them, and it seemed that the car was owned by women at a rate of about 95 percent.
  • Reply 98 of 108
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Y
    $50 less? Really?—that’s the “sweet spot”? What’s $50 compared to what we shell out to the service providers?!? My wife and I have iPhones. We have the minimum possible plan—the only one available in our area. With the many taxes and fees courtesy of our appalling government, our bill is $
    187.93 per month or 
    a staggering $2255.16 a year—the price of a brand new 15" MacBook Pro with Retina display—but, after using a MBP for a year, you can sell it for nearly what you paid. Like a BWMs and Mercedes cars, Apple products cost less to own than crappy products. When did everyone forget that stuff only costs what you pay minus what you get when you sell it?
    In this one unique example it costs more to be American, for pretty much everyone else in the world that $50 would go a long way.
  • Reply 99 of 108
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    $50 less? Really?—that’s the “sweet spot”? What’s $50 compared to what we shell out to the service providers?!? My wife and I have iPhones. We have the minimum possible plan—the only one available in our area. With the many taxes and fees courtesy of our appalling government, our bill is $
    187.93 per month or 
    a staggering $2255.16 a year—the price of a brand new 15" MacBook Pro with Retina display—but, after using a MBP for a year, you can sell it for nearly what you paid. Like a BWMs and Mercedes cars, Apple products cost less to own than crappy products. When did everyone forget that stuff only costs what you pay minus what you get when you sell it?

OK. Let's forget the fact that you chose that phone service - and you'd pay that amount whether you upgrade your phone or not. Since that's your choice, it's not clear why you consider that to be the cost of the phone.

Let's also forget the ft that you have the option to buy the phone outright (for roughly the same price as other high end phones) and use a prepaid phone service.

Finally, let's ignore the fact that resale values on iPhones are higher than just about any other phone you could buy.

Ignoring all of that, I'll make one comment. If you don't think it's a good deal, don't buy it. Problem solved.
  • Reply 100 of 108

Dear jragosta, please reread my post. Is English your native language? I’m not being facetious; I’m merely asking because you didn’t understand a single sentence I wrote, nor the overarching point—and that’s a reasonable and charitable explanation.