Inside Apple's iPhone 5s: 's' is for 'security'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EauVive View Post

You mean it works with any finger? I thought you had to use the same finger over and over again.

I think it can store 5 finger signatures.

• Reply 22 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dillio View Post

Does anyone know anything about the battery life in 5s and 5c? I wouldn't mind Apple making their devices a bit thicker for longer-lasting battery. People put cases on them and make them thicker anyway. There's a point beyond which a phone is too thin. Thicker feels better in the hand...

Not everyone. Some like their phones the way they like their women ;)

• Reply 23 of 50
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Yet someone could easily knock you unconscious and use your finger to unlock your iPhone. Seems much easier than trying to figure out what your 4-digit passcode is.

That could actually a be feature. Suppose you are accidentally knocked out or suffer a serious medical emergency, the first responders could immediately unlock your phone with your finger and call next of kin listed in your favorites.

• Reply 24 of 50
    Quote:

Yet someone could easily knock you unconscious and use your finger to unlock your iPhone. Seems much easier than trying to figure out what your 4-digit passcode is.

where does this silliness come from.

If someone wants your iPhone and are willing to actually kill or mame you, pass code or not they will get their way.  The finger ID thing is of no consequence to this argument one way or another.  A strong enough threat and you will give up your phone unlocked.

• Reply 25 of 50
    Quote:

In the future the 'belts and suspenders' will be there for those who need it.  If nothing else now the 4 digit pin (and a lowered lockout - 5 tries) becomes useful again.   A thumbprint and a pattern (that's my password…. I really can't even tell you what the characters are unless I look at the keyboard).   3 factor authentication

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

The one who can knock us unconscious can put pistol at point blank and demand for the 4 digit passcode.  

agreed.  The use case for this is the stolen/lost/unattended phone/ipad… and 'stealing passwords' via social engineering, or just good optics [the long term case of all your app passwords can be linked to your fingerprint data [most likely an AppleID signed GUID, to allow for migration from device to device] and sent to an app's back end authN server].

It does not solve the extortion/threat/ use case.   Humans are always the weakest link.  And is any data worthy losing your or a loved one's life over? 

There is no technology that prevents this attack [well, the 'duress' password/honeyapp, which when entered flags the back end to 'fake access' and call the rescue squad , but when the banks put that in I'll die a happy man], so being better and easier and less hackable than all the rest is where Apple has to resign itself to at the moment ;-)

• Reply 26 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

and what phone does Sir Mix a Lot use?

• Reply 27 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

I think it can store 5 finger signatures.

I didn’t know that. Seems logical. Thanks.

BTW, even if no API can access it, I don’t believe a second the recorded “Touch ID” to be private. I’m sure it could be retrieved wirelessly by Apple at will.

• Reply 28 of 50
    So Apple is targeting government agencies by providing a fingerprint scanner to provide security for the new phone. I can't see the 'Men In Black' using them - didn't all agents have their fingerprints wiped in the first movie? ;-)
  • Reply 29 of 50
    Quote:

I didn’t know that. Seems logical. Thanks.

BTW, even if no API can access it, I don’t believe a second the recorded “Touch ID” to be private. I’m sure it could be retrieved wirelessly by Apple at will.

To my understanding (and we will know pretty soon) the enclave has no data lines out to carry data.  It can only tell the A7 there was a match, and which of the 5 prints you can configure it with matched.  The sensor only gives a hash code to the enclave (i.e. it does not store your actual print per se, but reduces your print to a signature number).

the hash code cannot be used to recreate a fingerprint.  Sort of like how a checksum cannot be used to recreate a photo with which it was calculated from.

• Reply 30 of 50
    The algoritm utsedd in the 5s, is it. Fr.o.m. Apple / Authentech or from some third party vendor?
  • Reply 31 of 50
    The algoritm used in the 5s, is it from Apple / Authentech or from some third party vendor?
  • Reply 32 of 50
    dugbug wrote: »

To my understanding (and we will know pretty soon) the enclave has no data lines out to carry data.  It can only tell the A7 there was a match, and which of the 5 prints you can configure it with matched.  The sensor only gives a hash code to the enclave (i.e. it does not store your actual print per se, but reduces your print to a signature number).

the hash code cannot be used to recreate a fingerprint.  Sort of like how a checksum cannot be used to recreate a photo with which it was calculated from.

Oh, I see. Well, I hope you’re right. But it’s pretty difficult, nowadays, to tell a data line from a power line, for example. And much can be transmitted on a single pair of wires.

I don’t understand how a hash code could be used. A hash code, by definition, is not unique: several patterns match the same hash. In this case, it would mean that several different fingerprints would register under the same hash; in other terms: two people with different Touch ID could activate the device, which is precisely what the mechanism tries to avoid…
  • Reply 33 of 50
    Quote:

Oh, I see. Well, I hope you’re right. But it’s pretty difficult, nowadays, to tell a data line from a power line, for example. And much can be transmitted on a single pair of wires.

I don’t understand how a hash code could be used. A hash code, by definition, is not unique: several patterns match the same hash. In this case, it would mean that several different fingerprints would register under the same hash; in other terms: two people with different Touch ID could activate the device, which is precisely what the mechanism tries to avoid…

I don't think they would use the term enclave lightly.  But as I said we will know much more about it soon.

Yes, a hash code is not unique, but it could be only one in a million "touch IDs" would match or somesuch. I could see them use a 128-bit signature/hash per print pretty easily.  So for practical use, unless a million folks regularly handled your iphone the security would be fine.  Im not in the know, just passing on to you how I would implement it.

• Reply 34 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bangzulu View Post

The algoritm used in the 5s, is it from Apple / Authentech or from some third party vendor?

Nobody yet knows, but my guess is it is an authentech algorithm  

• Reply 35 of 50
    dugbug wrote: »
    Im not in the know, just passing on to you how I would implement it.

Well, I suppose you’re not in the know, because if you were, you’d be jeopardizing your position discussing such things openly!

Thanks for the hints! As you say, we’ll know about the crux pretty soon. I’ll stay tuned. Thanks again.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Apple is screwing over its zombie fans.
  • Reply 37 of 50

I don't like the fake fingerprint that is used to show print learning progress. It reinforces the mistaken idea that an actual fingerprint is stored on the device.

• Reply 38 of 50
    dnd0ps wrote: »
    I'm guessing:
    1) Conceived in California but actually produced in China
    2) Made from environmentally friendly components
    3) Touch activated?
    ????
  • Reply 39 of 50
    Quote:

I can't believe that Apple would be so completely stupid as to lie about something like this feature. If they did, it's certain that they would eventually be discovered and, at that point, would lose all consumer trust. They could kiss goodbye to any and all enterprise use, and the legions of villified haters would lead the march to the competition.

Either that or, you know, we'll only find out they were lying as skynet goes active and it's all too late.

• Reply 40 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

boobs?