Inside Apple's iPhone 5s: 's' is for 'sensors'

Comments

• Reply 101 of 130
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I'm done with you for tonight.

And I'm done with you pretending you're a child who cannot follow conversational context. Siri is better than you at this.

Ireland: iOS devices are terrible as controllers.

Me: This is untrue.

Sol 77, sarcasm: So they're superior to physical.

Me: I did not say that.

Now here's where you come in. Notice that when I said "I did not say that", it just so happens that I did not say that. I said that it was untrue that they are terrible, not that they are superior to physical controllers. Nothing from Ireland's post nor my post would lead you to that conclusion, simply the conclusion that I was disagreeing with Ireland's position. Don't try to pretend otherwise again, please.

To re-reply to the first point you made, no, Remote is not a terrible remote, and not only that, I've found it to be quicker than a physical Apple Remote. And to the second, yes, you're spot on that an iDevice is a valid replacement for a controller with physical buttons, as evidenced by their enormous success in the gaming industry over the past half decade or so.

From there it's just you pretending more things were said that weren't, so we don't need to go over that.

• Reply 102 of 130
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Guess so, given the sales, reviews, and scope of gaming on iOS over the past few years, huh. It's obviously "terrible". <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Or maybe… you're wrong.</span>

God, you don't know what a game controller is.
  • Reply 103 of 130
    lol

Just, lol
  • Reply 104 of 130
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

God, you don't know what a game controller is.

Of course not¡

Sans shoulder buttons, a touchscreen can do anything a physical controller can do. Before you pretend I said something I didn’t, note that I didn’t say ‘does’, just ‘can’.

• Reply 105 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Of course not¡

Sans shoulder buttons, a touchscreen can do anything a physical controller can do. Before you pretend I said something I didn’t, note that I didn’t say ‘does’, just ‘can’.

Just quit it, TS. You're not advancing the discussion. Sometimes you just don't seem to realize -- or if you do, you just don't seem to care -- that your incessant back and forth just detracts from people enjoying this site.

Move along.....

• Reply 106 of 130

"S" is for sensors? And for iphone 4S, "S" for what? And 3GS? Good sensors? It doesn't make "S"ense. 

Anyway, iPhone is a decent phone, simple, practical and with good build quality, now that they have A7 processors, the competition will fire up. I am surprised that a little larger screen with Full HD resolution was difficult to achieve for Apple. I think they were so busy with the new A7 processors, the finger print and so on... I hope to see a larger Full HD screen, more RAM and a different iOS that won't persuade some of its users turn to the dark side by jailbreaking it. Some of these innovations will be made with the iphone 6 but until then, who knows, Full HD+ resolutions, more RAMS and other innovations from other brands will be on their way. Apple still needs more innovations. 

I would not be too relieved with the brand new A7 or the finger print sensor, there are yet many things to be done. But still, good move not to let Samsung manufacture their processors anymore. Late, but good decision. Now they should make sure that Taiwanese won't tell the secrets. 

I know this site is visited mostly by apple fans and admirers, any criticism will make one a troll :) But still I should say: Even if exynos 5 octa is 32 bit and below the new A7 , it still is a very good processor unlike many exaggerated offense to it in some articles here. I accept the fact that exynos has cons but it still is very good. Of course A7 is much better. 

Don't get me wrong, I am not a troll, I have an iPod touch which I like very much. iPhone just needs other changes not only in processors but radical innovations in general in order to persuade users like me to buy it. I hope the 6th or the 7th gen will be the one to buy.

You have read my first post, thanks.

• Reply 107 of 130
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Just quit it, TS.

Fine, so prove me wrong. Otherwise you’re just claiming no one’s view but your own matters.

Originally Posted by 03N13 View Post

"S" is for sensors? And for iphone 4S, "S" for what? And 3GS? Good sensors? It doesn't make "S"ense. 

So letters can’t change their meaning?

I am surprised that a little larger screen with Full HD resolution was difficult to achieve for Apple.

Because it wasn’t. They just couldn’t care less about that.

I hope to see a larger Full HD screen, more RAM and a different iOS that won't persuade some of its users turn to the dark side by jailbreaking it.

Nice false concern.

…RAMS and other innovations from other brands will be on their way. Apple still needs more innovations. 

Come off it.

…I have…

*sigh*

iPhone just needs… …innovations

Again, come off it.

• Reply 108 of 130
    ireland wrote: »
    And you don't use your phone for 48 hours when flying? Where do you fly to, the moon?
    I don't usually use mine when I fly internationally.
  • Reply 109 of 130
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Still missing a hygrometer and barometer/altimeter, we need the iPhone to become a tricorder
    Also, a calibrated microphone would be useful, so you could measure noise levels, alert users that it's time to put in in ear plugs.
    :D

On the other hand, nobody seems to have caught on to the Tim Cook phrase that the A7 is "desktop class". Could be an innocent silly metaphor, or a slight show of hands: with Apple putting that much money into CPU development, and with the Mac business slowly becoming subordinate, it makes ever less sense for Apple to maintain multiple compilers, development tools, etc.
    I wouldn't be surprised if a some not all too distant point in the future we'll see a multiple-personality OS that merges iOS and OS X and just adapts the UI based on what configuration the device is in at the moment. Universal apps that have both a touch and a "desktop" UI and switch between them just like apps switch between portrait and landscape orientation.

How about a 12-core ARM 64-bit CPU in an iMac, or an 8-core ARM chip in a MacBook Air...
    ...no longer paying the intel tax, that could mean considerably more competitive Apple computers and increased profit margins in the computer side of their business.
  • Reply 110 of 130
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

"That data is also discarded if a device is rebooted or has been left unused for more than 48 hours, at which point users will have to simply reenter their passcode."

I don't remember reading anywhere that the "data is also discarded". This paragraph make it sound like the finger print data will be deleted and you have to reprogram your finger prints to get the feature back. What Apple said was only the passcode will unlock the device if the device rebooted or haven't been unlocked for 48 hours. They did not say the finger print data will be deleted.

They didn't. In certain (uncommon) circumstances they will need to enter the password. This is to prevent a hacker powering off the device, installing a hardware hack to mimic the owner's fingerprint data, which may or may not be easier to guess than a password. Think of Touch ID as a short-cut rather than a password replacement. It's a hassle-free security upgrade for most users. It encourages all users to set a password. It also makes an alphanumeric password more of a viable option, since the user won't have to enter it every time. Most users interact with their device at least every few hours and rarely power it off, so it's unlikely to affect people unless they take a plane flight or go camping for the weekend.

In any case there is no need for the data to ever be wiped. The "fingerprint data" is not really your fingerprint but a hashed version of the coordinates of prominent loops, arches and whorls, and other smaller ridges patterns. Even if someone accesses and decrypts the data there is not enough information to reconstruct all the features of the original fingerprint.

Apple are (rightly) being overly conservative around their introduction of this technology because it only takes one cheap shot from a prominent news journalist and their reputation is tarnished. Samsung et al are frothing at the mouth to pick this apart. Any edge they can find they will pick at. RelentlesslyIn reality any company would trade places with Apple in an instant.

• Reply 111 of 130
    rcfa wrote: »
    Still missing a hygrometer and barometer/altimeter, we need the iPhone to become a tricorder.

Insightful.
  • Reply 112 of 130
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    crowley wrote: »
    Why?  Replacing the SIM doesn't reset the password, nor erase the personal data on the phone.  Replacing the SIM doesn't break or change any part of the phone's security, nor should it.
    I expect the phone is powered off to remove the SIM card. That "reboot" when the power is turned back on triggers the wipe per the description of how the security of the fingerprint data is handled. From this and Apples description: "That data is also discarded if a device is rebooted or has been left unused for more than 48 hours, at which point users will have to simply reenter their passcode."
  • Reply 113 of 130
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

I expect the phone is powered off to remove the SIM card.

Really? You’ve never hot-swapped a SIM?

• Reply 114 of 130
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Really? You’ve never hot-swapped a SIM?
    Never in that much of a hurry.
  • Reply 115 of 130
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    I suspect swapping out the SIM card would wipe the fingerprint data in any case. That involves a reboot I'm sure.

Ever tried to hotswap the SIM card and then reset the networking settings?
  • Reply 116 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

They didn't. In certain (uncommon) circumstances they will need to enter the password. This is to prevent a hacker powering off the device, installing a hardware hack to mimic the owner's fingerprint data, which may or may not be easier to guess than a password. 

How does requirement to enter password prevent anyone from powering off the device?

• Reply 117 of 130
    How does requirement to enter password prevent anyone from powering off the device?

Supposedly we need to enter the password/code in order to power it down in iOS7. We'll see this Wednesday. Only other way is to wait for the battery to die.
  • Reply 118 of 130
    philboogie wrote: »
    Supposedly we need to enter the password/code in order to power it down in iOS7.

Who told you that? I highly doubt that.
  • Reply 119 of 130
    Fine, so prove me wrong. Otherwise you’re just claiming no one’s view but your own

"Because it wasn’t. They just couldn’t care less about that."

"Nice false concern."

"Come off it."

*sigh*

"Again, come off it."

So, according to you Apple is a company which is not interested in making Full HD resolution screens and people who expects that technology have false concerns...

Wow, Apple and some people will really surprise you in near future. Remember my "false" concerns while watching a video on HTC One or a future full HD iPhone. And again, remember my other false concern about more RAMs when Safari will crash on an iPhone 5s in 2015.

I am not saying that Android doesn't crash, Android has its cons...I am just trying to say that iPhone 5s is like a trial, incomplete version of iPhone 6.
  • Reply 120 of 130
    ireland wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    Supposedly we need to enter the password/code in order to power it down in iOS7.

Who told you that? I highly doubt that.

I read it somewhere, or so I thought, but can't find it. My bad. Or I get surprised this Wednesday.