Apple seeds eighth OS X 10.9 Mavericks Developer Preview

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
As an anticipated launch date nears, Apple on Monday pushed out OS X 10.9 Mavericks Developer Preview 8 to developers with no major changes.

Mavericks

Continuing with its release cycle, Apple's latest dev preview comes two weeks after the previous version was seeded at the beginning of September.

LIke the most recent developer previews, it appears that today's comes with only minor changes to the forthcoming operating system, people familiar with the release said. Of note, work on iCloud Keychain stability issues continues, though areas of focus remain unchanged from Preview 7.

When Apple launches OS X 10.9 Mavericks later this fall, it will come with iBooks, Finder Tabs, Maps, App Nap and Compressed Memory, among other new features.

Developers can download the OS X 10.9 Mavericks Developer Preview 8 via Software Update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25

Can't wait to surf that Maverick

• Reply 2 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    But will Mavericks be free? Will Apple adopt the full iOS-style release strategy for OS X?

Tune in next time, same Bat-channel.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member

• Reply 4 of 25
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

But will Mavericks be free? Will Apple adopt the full iOS-style release strategy for OS X?

There is absolutely no precedent to suggest that they will just give it away for free.  Cheap (about 20 bucks)? Sure.  Free?  Forget it.

• Reply 5 of 25
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    gdog wrote: »
    YOU CAN GET BETA 8 NOW FOR FREE AND TRY IT OUT.  NO ISSUES.  I'VE BEEN USING FOR MONTHS.

where did you get it for free?
  • Reply 6 of 25
    If someone's too cheap to spend $20 on an OS, they had better make the choice on whether they should spend the money on a new OS or maybe fed their children, instead. To most of us, $20 is a drop in the bucket and Apple does deserve to make some money on it. Think about the number of man-hours that must have gone into the new OS.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

Well he is wrong - you couldn't have gotten it months ago, but I doubt he is a paying dev or part of Apple Seed so wherever he got it, we won't be able to talk about it here.

• Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diddy View Post

Well he is wrong - you couldn't have gotten it months ago, but I doubt he is a paying dev or part of Apple Seed so wherever he got it, we won't be able to talk about it here.

He's partially wrong, but he's right about having used it for months.  I have used it for a few months, too.  But that's because I'm a developer, which costs a $99 annual fee to become.

• Reply 9 of 25
    I installed at dp6, it runs pretty good.. Very few bugs. But strangely I'm missing labels on buttons in several programs. Safari has all the buttons on the tool bar, but they're blank. Anyone else seeing this issue?
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diddy View Post

There is absolutely no precedent to suggest that they will just give it away for free.  Cheap (about 20 bucks)? Sure.  Free?  Forget it.

Hm. Until now they always put up a remark in the store that the upgrade will be free for purchasers of new Macs between the introduction and the release of a new OS X version (and they always gave a price when announcing the shipping date or time frame). They did not do that this time. So, something is different this time, and 10.9 being free is certainly one possible explanation. Even one that makes sense. There isn't really any reason to treat OS X and iOS customers differently; just make all non-pro apps free.

(Having said that, I am not sure about SEC requirements here, as giving anything away for free would maybe be a problem under the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, if they have not deferred some revenues. So it might only apply to devices from a certain point forward.)

Edit / P.S.: Thinking about it for another minute, it even makes more sense. The Apple team bragged quite a bit about how less fragmented iOS is, and how many people will update to iOS 7 in no time during the iPhone 5S/5C presentation. Makes no sense that OS X is more fragmented than iOS, and just being able to say: buy a Mac and all consumer apps and the OS will be free for the lifetime of the device... is a pretty strong point. And one that MS can't afford to copy. The more I think about it, the more I like it.

• Reply 11 of 25
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gordio View Post

He's partially wrong, but he's right about having used it for months.  I have used it for a few months, too.  But that's because I'm a developer, which costs a $99 annual fee to become.

I suspect the point was that he's not been using DP8 for months since it just came out today. Personally I've not really seen any issues since about DP3. This has been a rock-solid 10.x.0 release. Will be interesting to see how many point releases it gets before the next geographical name is out :)

• Reply 13 of 25
    ecsecs Posts: 307member
    diddy wrote: »
    I wouldn't dare to say it will never be free. Apple has done a lot of weird things in the last years, so you can expect everything. Just take in mind that the current Apple user (ie toy users) has nothing in common with the historical Apple user (ie mac users). You can expect anything from Apple nowadays.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    chiachia Posts: 713member

Originally Posted by ecs View Post

Just take in mind that the current Apple user (ie toy users) has nothing in common with the historical Apple user (ie mac users).

I feel sorry for you.

I'm certain you would have regarded the first Mac as a toy compared to the then mainframes and IBM PCs used by business.

It's actually efficient to use the tool just right for the job and to not waste money or resources on something too powerful for the tasks at hand.

Stating that anything by Apple which isn't a mac must be a toy is tantamount to declaring that any delivery vehicle which isn't an 18 wheel truck with trailer must be a toy car unsuitable for deliveries.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    diddy wrote: »

This is the first time they never announced a price at WWDC in recent memory. I've a hunch it'll be free. And for Apple to get all their Mac users who bought a Mac in the past 4 to 6 years on the same release would be a very powerful thing for the platform. Both in terms of new Mac user confidence in being supported for many years when they buy a new Mac, and in terms of opening up a much bigger platform to developers, with a much more streamlined focus for creating and developing new Mac apps. I know a few people who use Macs and I am the only one running Mountion Lion. It's a simple as this: if Mavericks is free everyone I know with a Mac that's a few years old or less will be on Mavericks. That thinking for Apple works wonders for the iPhone and iPad platforms, and would be most welcome to the Mac platform. It's that sort of forward thinking that Apple is known for.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    yragsapo wrote: »
    If someone's too cheap to spend $20 on an OS, they had better make the choice on whether they should spend the money on a new OS or maybe fed their children, instead. To most of us, $20 is a drop in the bucket and Apple does deserve to make some money on it. Think about the number of man-hours that must have gone into the new OS.

So argue the same for iOS then?
  • Reply 17 of 25
    ireland wrote: »
    But will Mavericks be free?

The answer is below your question.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    Anybody get any feedback about this os. Mountain lion is slow and buggy is it an improvement? I'm still on snow leopard cos its stable and fast.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

Never believe anyone who posts in CAPS.

• Reply 20 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gdog View Post

Im just telling you that you can download the beta and pay for the final version. You can be a beta tester but you can find the beta out there without. Im not suggesting you rip anyone off. I am also saying the beta works well without issues

If you downloaded it from anywhere other than Apple's developer's site, which you must pay a fee to join, then you are a common thief who should be banned for life from AppleInsider.