20GB iPod, bye-bye 5GB

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.thinksecret.com/news/mwny02ipoditunes.html"; target="_blank">From ThinkSecret.</a>

[quote]While next week's keynote address won't feature speed-bumped Power Mac G4s, as reported earlier this week, sources confirmed that an iPod with a 20GB hard drive, priced at $499, will be added to the product line. The original 5GB iPod will be discontinued, while Apple will cut the price of the 10GB model to $399.

<hr></blockquote>

All I can say about the decision to raise the specs and not lower the price is "Feh."

Screed ...an iPod desirer, but will have-er-er

[ 07-12-2002: Message edited by: sCreeD ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    at 20GB i'd be all over one. even at $500. they rule.

but they just didn't have enough space before. i have over 30GB of MP3's that are legit, although i'm sure some could be tossed. i'd love nothing more that to get them all into a digital format.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    mrbilldatamrbilldata Posts: 489member
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>at 20GB i'd be all over one. even at $500. they rule.

but they just didn't have enough space before. i have over 30GB of MP3's that are legit, although i'm sure some could be tossed. i'd love nothing more that to get them all into a digital format.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Or you could do like me and buy non-Apple ( Until Apple gets it right ). I have two 40GB drives that I can switch between in my NEO Jukebox.

Sadly it may be years before the iPod has that ability.

For those who have the space.... Keep on Rip'n
  • Reply 3 of 14
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, problem with them is size though. i can't put that in my pocket, take it walking, hiking etc.

i want something that's really small. i want a drive to transfer data on that's quick and easy.

in this case, the iPod is perfect. fast and easy, small and light.

just a bit pricey.

and i've actually used a Neo. hated the interface, and it took a year and a day to transfer all of my files over.

i calculated out and it looks like it would take you almost 14 hours to transfer 40GB over USB. it would take under 75 min. on the iPod. a little over an hour.

that's the part that just killed me. transfer rates were butt slow.

[ 07-12-2002: Message edited by: alcimedes ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 14
    mrbilldatamrbilldata Posts: 489member
    A lot of NEO users do not use the USB to transfer thier files. They pop out the hardrive, mount it on their PC or Mac, transfer files, put it back into the NEO(Thats why its harddrive is easily removeable). It takes very little time to transfer many Gigs to or from the NEO.

Yeah, the original NEO was pretty big. The one I have, the 25IV, is about the size of the iPod.

I still think you will be waiting a very long time before Apple has a 40GB iPod.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    The smarter move for Apple, would be to introduce the 20GB iPod, because everyone would want it, but. . . they need to keep the 5GB iPod, because half the people drooling over the 10 and 20GB's can't afford them. They should lower the price of the 5 GB iPod. Nice thing about the iPods is, you can't tell how many GB's are on the inside, they all look cute!
  • Reply 6 of 14
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    More size is not really a 'feature' but I'd like to see it anyway. What the iPod could use are more audio 'features' like provisions for a mic, FM and DAB radio.

The firewire port is there, I can't imagine it would take much to make a sort of fold-over hard case with an FM, DAB tuner, and a mic. I tell you, if the iPod had a mic to record lectures, interviews, and note, I'd already own two, mac or no, I might even have the mac to go with it. I cannot tell you how useful a mic function would be.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Matsu writes:

[quote] I tell you, if the iPod had a mic to record lectures, interviews, and note, I'd already own two, mac or no, I might even have the mac to go with it. I cannot tell you how useful a mic function would be. <hr></blockquote>

Thank you again, Matsu. You're my new favorite idea-man around here.

*tip*

-- PEte
  • Reply 8 of 14
    blizaineblizaine Posts: 239member
    they need to add an XM Radio to it...

j/k
  • Reply 9 of 14
    A mic is definately a great idea and a needed one. The FM radio, while it would be great deal, won't happen, due to size issues. XM would be sweet but so would me dating a super model....both equally inlikely.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Matsu, it seems everyone wants a mic. I know I do: I'm going to college! Seriously, my Bio notes are scary. I can't even tell what I was thinking. My point is, why hasn't a 3rd party company made a FireWire mic? After a case it's the next most needed thing! Apple should really make a case, mic, FM tuner, and add the ability for 3rd parties to program the iPod easier. If they did that last item, there would be more games, for example. This is an eye-catching feature. Tetris and Space Invaders couldn't hurt

Also, many people aren't rich. A cheap 5 gig iPod would probably sell far better than the more expensive 10 and 20 gig versions. Make it $249 and you couldn't make them fast enough! Even if there weren't a profit, it would be great advertising!
  • Reply 11 of 14
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatik:

<strong>Also, many people aren't rich. A cheap 5 gig iPod would probably sell far better than the more expensive 10 and 20 gig versions. Make it $249 and you couldn't make them fast enough! Even if there weren't a profit, it would be great advertising!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Becasue the rumor is FALSE !!!!

I can't imagine any company who dares to release a product (10GB iPod in this case) then after less than 6 months lower the price of it.

Hay btw if you don't remember, iPod 5GB was introduced (not avaliable, it was selling at November) in October 2001, it's not even October 2002 yet.

[ 07-16-2002: Message edited by: ihxo ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 14
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Well, it looks like MWNY brought us reduced prices for the existing 5GB ($300) and 10GB ($400) iPods and the rumored 20GB iPod ($500) as well (with smaller size for the 10GB model, and remote and case for the 10 and 20GB models). Looks like a pretty strong lineup to me.

Having resisted the iPod-buying urge so far, I'm trying to decide whether I need a remote and 10GB space or whether I should be reasonable and get the $300 5GB 'Pod. We'll see.

Escher
  • Reply 13 of 14
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    i got the 5 gig when it came out. since then i have gone over 5gb's of music to 7.75 gb.

the new 10 gig ipod really has me drooling. fortunatley/unfortunately, i have no money so that answers that question right there!
  • Reply 14 of 14
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Whelp...

The calendar and address book features pushed me off the cliff. So I'm awaiting a new 10GB iPod... and the Dr. Bott Travel Kit... and two D-Link Bluetooth Adapters... and Jagwire. :eek:

See when I go off the cliff, I really go off.

Screed