New iPhone 5s camera with slow-mo 120fps video demonstrated at Burberry fashion show

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Except for Victoria's Secret, models do not smile or emote on the runway (with an extremely small number of exceptions).  It's like Rule #1.  OK, Rule #2.  Rule #1 is, "Walk down the center, back on the left."

That's just the way the fashion world operates.

Also, the crowd at a show like Burberry is not going to be whooping it up anyways.  It's low key.  

Yep, I know that. :) Didn't mean to imply it should be like a Surface commercial. Just not such dour expressions. I know the fashion industry lately prefers the models to look like heroin addicts but at least they could be happy heroin addicts! (If there is such a thing!)

Best
  • Reply 22 of 38
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Christ.

They should trot out a starving African child at the end just to show them where all that money spent on clothes could have gone.

My opinion only.

I recognise a person's right to spend money as they wish.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Do they have to slouch and walk like linebackers? Is that a requirement too?

Most of these models had very typical runway walks.  There's not a lot of variation, with the exceptions of people like Gisele (who is mostly retired from the runway these days) and Karlie Kloss.  Karlie's walk is the most distinctive by far, and one of the reasons she is the top (non-VS) model working these days.

But by the sounds of it, you'd hate her walk even more than these typical examples. :)  You can Google for her if you want.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Yep, I know that. :) Didn't mean to imply it should be like a Surface commercial. Just not such dour expressions. I know the fashion industry lately prefers the models to look like heroin addicts but at least they could be happy heroin addicts! (If there is such a thing!)

Best

Heh. :)

Yeah, the dour expression is part of it.  The model shouldn't be the focus, the clothes should be.  Also, the heroin chic thing went out a number of years ago.  Even Kate Moss, who is primarily responsible for bringing it about, doesn't look like that anymore.  OTOH, most models are obviously thin -- just not as thin as they used to be, and the makeup isn't as extreme as it used to be.

That being said, Karlie Kloss, whom I mentioned above, is 6'1" and approximately 115-120 lbs.  So ... :)

EDIT:  Also, Cara Delevingne, who was in this show, has a distinctive walk, in that she sashays side to side a lot.

• Reply 24 of 38
    So... there's supposed to be slow-motion in this video?
  • Reply 25 of 38
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I thought heroin chic was a 90s thing?
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Nice radio-controlled track mounted camera rig in the background!

I'd rather see what the footage looks like at 1080p. 720p was honestly not very sharp, but that might simply be due to YouTube's file compression? Hard to tell.

Are we to assume the videographers all used the standard Apple Camera app?

Also, the stills look good.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Christ.

They should trot out a starving African child at the end just to show them where all that money spent on clothes could have gone.

My opinion only.

Burberry can be expensive, yes.  It's not extreme haute couture, or anything like that.  But sure, a woman can spend $13,000 on a trench coat, or $1,000 on a cashmere skirt, etc.

But that's fashion.  You can say the same about pretty much anything, from automobiles to home theater systems to golf clubs.

I'm sure the amount I spent on my new iMac last winter could have fed a lot of people, too.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I thought heroin chic was a 90s thing?

It was.  It's over.  Has been for years, now.

• Reply 29 of 38
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Christ.

My opinion only.

What phone do you use again?  Does your username mean Give To Rwanda?

• Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Anybody know what song it is - the very first one?

Music credits at the end of the video

• Reply 31 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jalapenino View Post

So... there's supposed to be slow-motion in this video?

I did not see any. I was getting a few dropped frames towards the end, though. Probably YouTube's fault.

• Reply 32 of 38
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

There's an App for that

Shazam

In the App Store

Shazam says, "Benjamin Twine/ George Ezra."

• Reply 33 of 38
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Most of these models had very typical runway walks.  There's not a lot of variation, with the exceptions of people like Gisele (who is mostly retired from the runway these days) and Karlie Kloss.  Karlie's walk is the most distinctive by far, and one of the reasons she is the top (non-VS) model working these days.

But by the sounds of it, you'd hate her walk even more than these typical examples. :)  You can Google for her if you want.

Heh. :)

Yeah, the dour expression is part of it.  The model shouldn't be the focus, the clothes should be.  Also, the heroin chic thing went out a number of years ago.  Even Kate Moss, who is primarily responsible for bringing it about, doesn't look like that anymore.  OTOH, most models are obviously thin -- just not as thin as they used to be, and the makeup isn't as extreme as it used to be.

That being said, Karlie Kloss, whom I mentioned above, is 6'1" and approximately 115-120 lbs.  So ... :)

EDIT:  Also, Cara Delevingne, who was in this show, has a distinctive walk, in that she sashays side to side a lot.

Bad posture more than bad walk. Models used to know how to stand upright and carry themselves.

• Reply 34 of 38
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    eriamjh wrote: »
    I didn't see any slo-mo.

The video could have been over in 3 minutes but took 5x longer. Skip through to the underwear part around 2:30, watch that until about 5:00 and then jump through most of the rest and that's normal speed.
    applguy wrote:
    The quality is much, much better when viewed directly at YouTube. The compression effects of the video post here are obviously horrendous and by no means do the 5S camera justice.

You can change the quality to 720p with the cog on the video.
    gtr wrote:

Yeah, but they could put them in a lot of places, even in front of the Apple Stores. Giving money away now and again isn't the solution to the problem, everyone should have an acceptable minimum standard of living by design. Enjoying nice things is fine, it just shouldn't be restricted to a select few.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:

At least you said this much.

• Reply 36 of 38
    eriamjh wrote: »
    I didn't see any slo-mo.

Take another look at the models... They were all sprinting. THIS is as slow-mo as they get.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    gtr wrote: »
    Christ.

Those starving Africans need some American Tourister luggage so they can move out of the frickin desert to somewhere there is food and water.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    From 26 seconds in to around 29 seconds, it looks like one of the audience has a superimposed face. He is next to the black guy with the NY hat.