iPod : ins & outs....

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
What exact is putting the iPod in "hard disk" mode? what other modes are there?

when plugged into the pc, can you read everything on the iPod's hd?

can you move your music from your iPod to the PC?

[obviously i don't have an iPod.........YET ]

thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    If you want to read files off your iPod onto a PC, you'll need something like MediaFour's MacDrive so you can read Mac formatted HDDs. If you want to just move music on and off the iPod on a PC, than MediaFour's XPlay should be enough.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    i meant all of this via a mac .....

:-P
  • Reply 3 of 8
    digixdigix Posts: 109member
    Well... If you plugged an iPod to a Mac (I assume this is what you meant by PC), it will automatically mount on your Mac desktop like any other regular Firewire hard disk. This is what people meant by putting the iPod into ?hard disk? mode.

I think that the same thing also happen to the newly release Windows version of iPod.

As for being able to read the content of your iPod.

When it's in hard disk mode, you can read what ever files that were saved under hard disk mode. However, under hard disk mode you can't read the ?playable? audio files

Note: There's a hack somewhere that will allow you to read both ?hard disk? data files and ?playable? audio files. It's not officially supported though.

As for being able to move your music from the iPod into the computer.

Unless those music files are saved under hard disk mode, you can't transfer them from the iPod to the computer. For the reason I mentioned above.

Note: Music files saved under hard disk mode can't be play by the iPod.

For more questions and answers, read the page below.

<a href="http://www.apple.com/ipod/faq.html"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/ipod/faq.html</a>;
  • Reply 4 of 8
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    [quote]If you want to read files off your iPod onto a PC, you'll need something like MediaFour's MacDrive so you can read Mac formatted HDDs. If you want to just move music on and off the iPod on a PC, than MediaFour's XPlay should be enough.<hr></blockquote>

Perhaps I got the wrong impression, but I thought that the PC iPod was able to be used as a firewire disk on PCs without issue.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    thanks digix! you answered it perfectly
  • Reply 6 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>

Perhaps I got the wrong impression, but I thought that the PC iPod was able to be used as a firewire disk on PCs without issue.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I mean the Mac iPod.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    actually, one more last question

are you able to transfer from the ipod over to iTunes?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Badtz:

<strong>actually, one more last question

are you able to transfer from the ipod over to iTunes?</strong><hr></blockquote>

not w/o one of the aformentions 3rd party hacks.... some of them are pretty good.. check version tracker and ipodhacks.com there are other websites too, but i cant rememebr them... have fun w/your new iPod!!