US carriers signal launch iPhone 5s inventory will be 'grotesquely' low

Comments

• Reply 41 of 85
    slurpy wrote: »
    Nice. Let's chop off another $50 from the stock. As if initial supply means ****-all in the grand scheme of things, and the potential total sales. It doesn't. But in this day and age, everyone is an entitled, whiny, spoiled, perspective-lacking child that will rage if they can't get their new shiny on the first possible day.

Look at this way, they're probably producing the same amount of iPhones, but there's more carriers this time around so the same amount of iPhones to more carriers means each one gets a smaller amount.
  • Reply 42 of 85

Maybe I'm just thick, but other than 'marketing' and fodder for news trolls, what difference does it make if Apple can't supply first day orders without exception?  Give it a week or maybe even a month, and everyone who wants the latest iPhone will likely be satisfied.  Is anyone really going to buy an Android because they couldn't get a launch day iPhone?  Why is being 'out of stock' seen as a failure?  Can anyone explain this line of thinking to me?  

When my daughter was trying to get an iPhone 5 last launch, she seemed to revel in the adventure of trying to work the system to get her phone.  Never once did she say, "That it's bull, I'm getting an Android instead!"

I personally know of a couple of companies that I buy stuff from that regularly have 6 to 12 month waiting lists for regular catalog products that are 'out-of-stock'.  Granted, these are not tech industries, but they don't seem to be going out of business nor is anyone saying this.  In fact, they continually seem to be raising their prices without reducing their back order lists much - if at all.

• Reply 43 of 85
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Actually, this is a case where Apple's PR department should address this issue. Responding to false rumors would be a prudent move and there's nothing unsavory about squashing FUD.

Seriously, no preorders, Misek saying there are problems and this rumor. imo there is something going on here which means Apple sure wont confirm this if its true.
    Apple will report a total amount of phones on the 23rd and people wont know how many 5c or 5s were sold.
  • Reply 44 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

I will get up 2:55AM NYC time - order it 3:00AM.

Go back to sleep.

Wake up at 5:30AM.

Get in line at Apple Store @ 6:00AM.; hopefully have it by 9AM.

Go to work and cancel my online order.

Glad to see you have your priorities straight. 

/s
  • Reply 45 of 85
    China first strategy. And I base that on absolutely nothing.
  • Reply 46 of 85
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

If supplies are "grotesquely low" then Apple should raise the price on the 5S.  I'm sure they'd sell at a higher price if supplies are that limited.

• Reply 47 of 85
    tarfungo wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just thick, but other than 'marketing' and fodder for news trolls, what difference does it make if Apple can't supply first day orders without exception?  Give it a week or maybe even a month, and everyone who wants the latest iPhone will likely be satisfied.  Is anyone really going to buy an Android because they couldn't get a launch day iPhone?  Why is being 'out of stock' seen as a failure?  Can anyone explain this line of thinking to me?  

When my daughter was trying to get an iPhone 5 last launch, she seemed to revel in the adventure of trying to work the system to get her phone.  Never once did she say, "That it's bull, I'm getting an Android instead!"

I personally know of a couple of companies that I buy stuff from that regularly have 6 to 12 month waiting lists for regular catalog products that are 'out-of-stock'.  Granted, these are not tech industries, but they don't seem to be going out of business nor is anyone saying this.  In fact, they continually seem to be raising their prices without reducing their back order lists much - if at all.

I remember a few years back, when people would scramble to get their hands on the Nintendo Wii, and it was never in stock at retail stores. Most of these people didn't just say, oh, let's just buy a PlayStation instead! These aren't just the same widget from different manufacturers. Something the Android specs-worshippers don't understand.
  • Reply 48 of 85
    pazuzu wrote: »
    You need to get up at 2:55. Allow time for your "business' and pounce by 3:01.
    Save time and take care of your "business" and get online at the same time. No one needs to know.
  • Reply 49 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

If supplies are "grotesquely low" then Apple should raise the price on the 5S.  I'm sure they'd sell at a higher price if supplies are that limited.

If true, it certainly will jack up the price of resales.

• Reply 50 of 85
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    You need to get up at 2:55. Allow time for your "business' and pounce by 3:01.

Adult diapers. Get the extra 6 mins.
    sflocal wrote: »
    Is "grotesquely" low worse than "low"???

It's a$$hats like these folks that will scream "Apple is doomed" if it takes more than 5 minutes to sell out of the 5S. 

"Grotesquely low" is still higher than analyst's IQ.

Lets spread a new rumor: Apple has one iPhone 5S available and is forcing the first 100 customers to share it.
  • Reply 51 of 85
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Not going to happen. Keeping the established price points is extremely important.

Perhaps you remember the early adopters of the original iPhone were issued a $100 store refund when the price was eventually lowered.

They don't want a repeat of that situation.
  • Reply 52 of 85
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Save time and take care of your "business" and get online at the same time. No one needs to know.

Now that's a "grotesque" thought!

• Reply 53 of 85

So the carriers who try to sell Android devices to people asking about iPhones are receiving too few iPhones for launch day... Is that the truth of it?

Definitely would fit in line with what Tim Cook talked about recently about upping the sales of iPhones in Apple stores (see how I just blended two rumours!).

• Reply 54 of 85
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Well, let's hope it's FUD and not FUBAR.

It could also be FUDAR.

That'd be bad. ;)

I'm going to buy a bunch of gold 5s's ('s's's?) and sell them back to the Chinese for three times the price.
  • Reply 55 of 85
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Mstone, as SpamSandwich correctly points out, a huge shortage means that more people will be waiting in line to get an iPhone just to resell it for more. That money's going to end up in someone's hands, it may as well be Apple's. Otherwise it's a lost opportunity cost.
  • Reply 56 of 85
    I wonder if the China Mobile deal required Apple to let CM offer the 5S to CM customers first? No pre-order here, limited supplies...
  • Reply 57 of 85
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

If Apple can sell an iPhone4 while the 4S and the 5 are out for 12 whole months, they can continue to sell the iPhone 4S and 5c for several  days or weeks with low availability of the IPhone 5S.  Only one major update per year means that people do not run to the next new phone a few days later.

I can't upgrade until the iPhone6 anyway (at least, I won't pay to upgrade before I'm "paid off").

• Reply 58 of 85
    rogifan wrote: »
    If the 5S is unavailable I could see the competition taking advantage. :\

Selling what, exactly? A smartphone with a diagonal size the same as their CPU architecture?
  • Reply 59 of 85
    tony1 wrote: »
    Oh, "
    grotesquely low". That's different. Now I can squirm when I think "low".
    Ewwwwww!

My friend at AT&T informed that they will only have the silver iPhone at launch.
  • Reply 60 of 85
    tony1 wrote: »
    Oh, "
    grotesquely low". That's different. Now I can squirm when I think "low".
    Ewwwwww!

My friend at AT&T informed that they will only have the silver iPhone at launch.

AT&T is selling a one of a kind?