Apple launches iOS 7-inspired iCloud Web client

Posted:
in iCloud edited August 2014
Apple on Tuesday brought the revamped iCloud.com webpage, which is designed to match the style of iOS 7, out of beta, offering users a taste of what to expect when the next-generation mobile platform is released on Wednesday.

iCloud

One day before iOS 7 will become available to download, Apple has revamped the iCloud Web portal to reflect user interface changes seen in the company's mobile platform. Previously in beta testing, the update brings congruity to the two UIs, offering users a seamless experience when moving from one to the other.

Most apparent is a dynamic background borrowed from iOS 7 that shows a pastel blue gradient with constantly moving blurred orbs. Other features introduced include app icons that match iOS 7 counterparts, including Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Notes, Reminders and Find My iPhone. Icons for beta versions of Pages, Keynote and Numbers are carried over from iOS 6.

It appears that Apple has rolled out the updated website to all users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The moving background is hideous. It genuinely looks like something from Microsoft. And the app icons looks terrible, though they kind of get away with them at those larger sizes. I said 'kind of'.

As for the web apps themselves, the colours, designs, fonts and font colours used within the apps? Astoundingly beautiful!

What I do not understand, though, is why when web apps are unavailable on iOS do they look like they were designed for the iPad? With huge click targets and designs that look inherently touch based? Oh what planet does that make sense?
  • Reply 2 of 50
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The moving background is hideous. It's one of the few things I genuinely believe wouldn't have happened if Steve was alive. It's not elegant.

It doesn’t move, does it? Oh! The beta’s didn’t move.

Other than being a shade lighter, how’s it different from the bokeh included in iOS 4 and 5? You know, the ones that were released when he was alive?

• Reply 3 of 50
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

The moving background is hideous. It genuinely looks like something from Microsoft.

I think it's pretty neat looking and very much something Apple would do.  There are Apple TV screen savers that are almost identical.  

It really makes the iWork icons look awful though and it would be much nicer if we had the ability to hide/delete the icons that we don't need.  I never intend to ever buy or use Keynote for instance, so why do I have to stare at it every day?  
  • Reply 4 of 50
    You might receive a PowerPoint or keynote from some one else. Also I believe that they are free when you get a new iOS device.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think it's pretty neat looking and very much something Apple would do.  There are Apple TV screen savers that are almost identical.

Screensaver behind the app icons? Moving wallpaper? Yuck!
  • Reply 6 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I never intend to ever buy or use Keynote for instance, so why do I have to stare at it every day?  

You use icloud.com everyday?

• Reply 7 of 50

I don't mind the moving bubbles in the background. They actually slowly track your mouse cursor location. Like a sloth on the hunt.

• Reply 8 of 50
    Quote:

Need some more cheese? They're testing out more CSS functionality.

• Reply 9 of 50
    It's going to take some getting used to, but I kind of like it. It's cleaner looking without all of the skeuomorphism.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by photodenk View Post

It's going to take some getting used to, but I kind of like it. It's cleaner looking without all of the skeuomorphism.

The lack is skeuomorphism is a good thing, but they should also ditch those stupid bubbles and get Louis Mantia (or any single person with decent icon design taste) to design some iOS 7/iCloud app icons. There's a reason why all the best app designers in the world came out against the icons: they are unattractive.

• Reply 11 of 50
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

Will you be able to access PhotoStream pictures using a web browser?

• Reply 12 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by photodenk View Post

Actually the notes and reminders apps still have a papyrus paper texture to them. Why in the world did they do this? Just make it a solid colour.

• Reply 13 of 50
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gazoobee wrote: »

It really makes the iWork icons look awful though and it would be much nicer if we had the ability to hide/delete the icons that we don't need.  I never intend to ever buy or use Keynote for instance, so why do I have to stare at it every day?  
    You really have to stare at it every day? Wow first world problems there.
  • Reply 14 of 50
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ireland wrote: »
    The lack is skeuomorphism is a good thing, but they should also ditch those stupid bubbles and get Louis Mantia (or any single person with decent icon design taste) to design some iOS 7/iCloud app icons. There's a reason why all the best app designers in the world came out against the icons: they are unattractive.
    I'm not saying I love all the app icons but that's the least of Apple's worries right now.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    find my iphone map data is still (c) google? :(

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/31666/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
  • Reply 16 of 50

Definitely like this more, I like how Notes and Reminders look, its a lot cleaner.

How'd they do the background movement, its not flash, if you choose view background image on Firefox, you just see the strip of gradient, not the bokeh elements, are they animating each one on its own, some of them flicker a little bit, and looks resized dynamically as the larger ones look like it, that's a feat. Tireless bas**rds, you have to hand it to Apple.

• Reply 17 of 50

Why haven't the office productivity apps' icons been updated? C'mon Apple get with it.

• Reply 18 of 50

Looks like I'm not a fan of the "bubbles", but I like the apps! : )

• Reply 19 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm not saying I love all the app icons but that's the least of Apple's worries right now.

(Prepare for another Rogifan anti-Apple tirade)

• Reply 20 of 50
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Why haven't the office productivity apps' icons been updated? C'mon Apple get with it.

Updated to what, depthless, minimalized iOS 7-matching nonsense? Why? iWork’s current icons are great.