iPod For Windows Could Bring Apple 1 Billion in $$$!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
According to this from Mac Minute:

July 18 - 15:25 ETÂ*Â*In a research note sent to clients today, Needham & Co. analyst Charlie Wolf said Apple's iPod for Windows represents a US$1 billion opportunity. That figure is based on IDC estimates for the portable audio player market in 2003, assuming that Apple is able to capture about 20 percent of the market. "The moment of truth will come in the Christmas selling season. If portable music players continue as one of the few hot markets in the consumer electronics industry, Apple could have a huge winner on its hands," Wolf wrote.

[ 07-18-2002: Message edited by: MacsRGood4U ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>According to this from Mac Minute:

July 18 - 15:25 ETÂ*Â*In a research note sent to clients today, Needham & Co. analyst Charlie Wolf said Apple's iPod for Windows represents a US$1 billion opportunity. That figure is based on IDC estimates for the portable audio player market in 2003, assuming that Apple is able to capture about 20 percent of the market. "The moment of truth will come in the Christmas selling season. If portable music players continue as one of the few hot markets in the consumer electronics industry, Apple could have a huge winner on its hands," Wolf wrote.

[ 07-18-2002: Message edited by: MacsRGood4U ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

This will only happen in Apple does a suitable job marketing the iPod to Windows users. And by that I mean getting it into Wintel shops. Anywhere you can buy the better MP3 players, Apple should get iPod into those stores. Also, Apple needs to make sure the packaging screams Windows compatible. Once you get the iPod in their home, use it as a stealth marketing device for the Mac platform. Want to update you iPod software? Goto apple.com. Want to take advantage of the iPod's built in organizer and calendar? Goto apple.com and we will show you how to do this with a Mac. Like the iPod experience? Get a Mac and get the full experience.

Apple could dominate the portable mp3 market this fall, but only if they take the iPod to the users. Most people do not Apple stores or Mac shops. Apple has to stick the iPod in their faces to gain that sort of momentum.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Ah, but you see lots of people go into Apple stores out of curiousity. Of course they can't buy anything b/c they don't have a mac, so they walk out. Put a damn cool, dead sexy iPod in there that they can buy and use and you've got some good sales. Sure it would be better if you could go to Best Buy and pick one up, but Best Buy sucks so they shouldn't get them. Don't get me started on Circuit Shitty. They could get into places like Tweeter, though. That would be cool.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    That's a lot of iPods.....assuming that the average price is $400, that means Apple would have to sell 25 million iPods......

How many have they sold so far?

TING5
  • Reply 4 of 19
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Through May, the estimated sales were 200,000 units. Since Apple has less then 5% of PC sales, the 25 million units through 2003 is not unreasonable for the other 95%, but highly unlikely.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    Windows users want the iPod. Even the diehard ones. They just couldn't admit it. Now that its available to them, they will pounce on it.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The major barrier is FireWire adoption.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Apple is including a Firewire to USB adapter for the Windows version... at least that's what S.J. said.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>Apple is including a Firewire to USB adapter for the Windows version... at least that's what S.J. said.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you sure? I thought he said they are including a 4-pin to 6-pin cable for non-powered FW (iLink). I'm pretty sure that was said... BTW, FW cards aren't that expensive, are they?
  • Reply 9 of 19
    mrbilldatamrbilldata Posts: 489member
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>

Are you sure? I thought he said they are including a 4-pin to 6-pin cable for non-powered FW (iLink). I'm pretty sure that was said... BTW, FW cards aren't that expensive, are they?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wow :eek: What a great marketing idea.

Apple could market the "Windows compatable" iPod.

It would come with a mail-in card or a coupon to get a free FW card for hooking their iPod to thier PC.

Everyone wins, PC users get an awesome MP3 player and Apple gets FW spreading like "Hmmm" Fire-wire.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Torfile... you're right. No USB to Firewire cable. So, why not?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Since the announcement at MacWorld I've had three windows users come over to my desk to look at my iPod, and tell me they are ordering one now that they are PC compatible. Not a scientific sample, but as one of the few Mac users in my company it makes me feel good to see PC users excited about an Apple product.

I think Apple will do really well on these.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I've heard that in the 10GB and 20GB iPods they have placed small RDF emitters where the old wheel were (trackpads aren´t as thick). This way Apple will get only those Wintellers that are prepared to spent and not those cheap bastards that only buy the 5GB model. The latter are the ones that will go to rumor boards and bitch and complain that they can´t build their own Mac and we don´t need those.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    My cousin purchased an iPod and now really wants the Windows kit instead of using his younger brother's iMac. He wants a Mac now but he loves his iPod and wants to be able to manage his music now.

I know many people who will want to buy an iPod for their PC. A ton of people I know also want OS X for their PC instead of Windows but don't want to buy a more expensive machine.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Just put in my order for a 20 Gig iPod.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Just put in my order for a 20 Gig iPod. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Wanna put in an order for me too?
  • Reply 16 of 19
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    You can order Firewire PCI cards along with your Windows iPod at the online Apple Store. Might Apple start selling these in their retail stores?
  • Reply 17 of 19
    frawgz, as much as I love giving Apple money...anybody who does a little research would be better off just buying a generic OHCI compliant FireWire card for &lt;$30 instead of that Belkin card...
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Look out! iPod invasion. They're coming.... they're coming. Why don't you believe me???? :eek:
  • Reply 19 of 19
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Just put in my order for a 20 Gig iPod. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Here when you get it, send it to me and I will send you back my 5 Gig'er ...with all the music STILL intact