Review roundup: iPhone 5s with iOS 7 best smartphone available, 5c offers well-built alternative

Comments

• Reply 61 of 110
    rogifan wrote: »
    So which review said the 5S was the best smartphone available? I'm curious to know who wrote that. Seems like overall both phones are getting good reviews. No surprise that some of the pro android sites are complaining about the display size. :rolleyes:
    What smartphone do you think is better than the 5S in the market??
  • Reply 62 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by castcore View Post

Well the plastic on the 5c doesn't feel cheap like the light, flimsy Samsung plastic. I held both and you instantly feel the difference

Where did you get 5C to hold it?

• Reply 63 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So which review said the 5S was the best smartphone available? I'm curious to know who wrote that. 

Mossberg: "Overall, however, the new iPhone 5S is a delight. Its hardware and software make it the best smartphone on the market."

David Phelan: "the 5s is the best smartphone Apple, or anyone, has yet made."

Matt Warman: "But this, the most premium product available, is also the one best suited for the mass market. That’s the secret of Apple’s success. It isn’t the most flexible, but for millions it simply remains the best option. Its only rivals are Apple’s other iPhones, as the world moves ever closer to a world divided between iDo and iDon’t."

Darrell Etherington: "With the iPhone 5s, Apple once again wins the right to claim the title of best smartphone available."

• Reply 64 of 110
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    astra4 wrote: »
    I need an iPhone 5 with the iPhone 4 form factor.
    Amen brother!
  • Reply 65 of 110
    astra4 wrote: »
    I need an iPhone 5 with the iPhone 4 form factor.

If only! This 5 is a bit tall for my taste. Screen's nice though.
  • Reply 66 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Leave to Businessweek to spoil the fun. image

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2013-09-17/meet-the-new-iphones-same-as-the-old-iphones-rich-jaroslovsky

Spoil he fun? Really?  Point out which self respecting person reads this publication ?  

• Reply 67 of 110
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    From the images I have seen, the ipad 5 has a bigger screen than other ipads, it look more square, same height but wider. If the images are real the screen size has changed.
  • Reply 68 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

David Pogue is a technological troglodyte. `light on hardware advancements...'

The entire A7 is BRAND NEW, not to mention the area in which the Touch ID resides, within the SoC solution.

The M7 is brand new. The battery is brand new. The logic board is brand new. The Camera is brand new.

Sorry, but the man is a complete hack.

+1 .  Sadly he's become a bit tiresome,  maybe should doing bits on the Daily Show rather than writing for tech.  IMO

• Reply 69 of 110
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I have to laugh at the people who think these reviewers are basically paid shills giving good reviews so they continue to get access. Of course you never see these comments when other smartphones get great reviews. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 70 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The entire A7 is BRAND NEW, not to mention the area in which the Touch ID resides, within the SoC solution.

The M7 is brand new. The battery is brand new. The logic board is brand new. The Camera is brand new.

Pogue didn't write 'light on hardware advancements'. 

• Reply 71 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I have to laugh at the people who think these reviewers are basically paid shills giving good reviews so they continue to get access. Of course you never see these comments when other smartphones get great reviews. image

Of course you do. It's just a matter what forum you visit. There are fans and detractors of every brand. In all cases, misinformation is the foundation.

• Reply 72 of 110
    The 5c is definitely well-built. I like plastic cases, particularly in contrast to breakable glass, although not those dreadful "Hello Kitty" pastel covers. But it's dreadfully overpriced, so overpriced the much greater feature set of the 5s make it a much better deal. For every dollar extra the 5s costs, buyers are likely to get two dollars back at resale--and have a lot more eager buyers.

I'm more bothered that both come with iOS 7 and you can see what's wrong with that in two of the three illustrations at the top of this article.

The left-most one is way too bright. Who wants to be out for a walk in the evening, decide they want to make a call, and have that bright white screen blasting into their eyes. Dreadful! Was anyone at Apple thinking or were they just being 'artistic.'

The center illustrates that many iOS 7 screen changes lower the contrast between background and text/icons, making them harder to read, particularly on the go. One of the worst offenders is the Map application, where black street names have been replaced with light grey ones. Again, what was Apple thinking?
  • Reply 73 of 110
    cash907 wrote: »
    "fan droids" couldnt care less, seeing how comparable hardware will be released in months, not an entire year from now, unlike Apple. I've noticed the majority of your posts slam android and iPhone competitors in general, even when they have nothing to do with the topic at hand. That's quite the chip on your shoulder. Should get that looked at, Eric.
    Who 's got the chip? The person who tells the truth about the pathetic losers/haters that pollute forums everywhere and create new accounts regularly on AI just to troll, or the person who's upset at someone like me pointing out the truth?

Oh, BTW, there's nothing coming out in the next couple months that will match the A7.
  • Reply 74 of 110
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Gotta say, I'm pretty underwhelmed by this announcement. The leaks have gotten so bad that there's very little surprise left at Apple's unveils these days. I kept waiting for the "and just one more thing", but there was none.

The 5S is a much more impressive offering than the 4S. They could have called this one a 6. The 64-bit processor alone makes the phone a standout. The camera upgrades are to be expected, as well as speed bumps. The fingerprint technology is still a bit gimmicky, especially if it doesn't work flawlessly for the majority of customers, mainly because there are no proposed applications for it outside of securing the phone, in the way Passport was touted (perhaps they learned their lesson over that debacle).

That said, 4S customers must be squealing with delight. As a 5 customer, I'm not sure I would pay the early upgrade fee for it.

The 5c is really disappointing. Basically the 5 in a less attractive case for basically the same price as it would have been had Apple continued their previous depreciation model. The big selling point seems to be the colored shell, which most people are going to cover in a case anyway.

And that's it? The big innovation was an expected upgrade of features on their flagship iPhone, plus the addition of gold, and repackaging the 5 in cheaper candy colored housing, falling back on an over a decade old, played-out marketing strategy. And half the new features were already announced months ago with the preview of iOS 7.

Understandable the stock dropped.
  • Reply 75 of 110
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Anandtech's review was great.

It kinda brings a smile to my face knowing that all over the world fandroids are crying that Apple has the fastest mobile processor in the world by a wide margin. Amazing that a dual core 1.3GHz processor can hold up to (and often beat) a quad core 2.2GHz processor.

Even more so since benchmarks have now shown there is a significant performance boost running in 64bit. I wonder where all the naysayers are going to hide now that it's proven the 64bit "marketing gimmick" has actual real-world benefits you get right now, without 4GB of RAM?

But, but, but, but..... only a 4" screen! /s

I absolutely LOVE how everyone seems to be surprised by and praising - of all things - the 5c *build quality*.

Even though it's secretly a craptastic, cheap plastic, race-to-the-bottom, C-stands-for-Cheap, super high margin, C-stands-for-Con designed for Sheeple, racially-stereotyped/color-crazed Chinese hipsters and preteen girls who prefer shiny colors over quality. /s

Guess maybe assuming plastic means low quality was jumping the gun just a little...?

That's what I've been saying all along. "Plastic" does not necessarily mean "low quality".
    Can anyone confirm the ram on the 5s?

Anand says 1 GB and they usually know what they're talking about. I'm a little surprised because some other reports said 2 GB.

It's the usual iHater crap come full circle.

The iPhone 4S and 5S are not really new since the use the same case as the previous generation, even though almost every internal component was new..

The iPhone 5C isn't really new because it's the same internals as the iPhone 5 stuffed into a new case.

Makes you wonder what would make these idiots believe that a phone was new. I guess you need to give it the name of a new candy for it to count.
  • Reply 76 of 110

I just thought of something interesting.

Remember when it was predicted the A7 would be 64bit and offer a 31% performance boost? Pretty much everyone (including me) was saying there's no way an A7 would only be 31% faster than the A6 given Apples track record.

Geekbench runs in 32 and 64 bit modes for testing. Looking over Anandtech's results they found that the benchmark was indeed faster in 64bit than in 32bit. How much faster overall?

31%

I doubt that's a coincidence and maybe what the person was referring to is how much performance increase was attributed to the processor being 64bit and not the overall performance increase (which is around double).

• Reply 77 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Yes, but since there aren't any flashy stickers on the box or the phone itself, how's he supposed to know all that?  ;)

• Reply 78 of 110
    Did you seriously complain about an attempt to do an NFC transfer between a Windows phone and an Android phone?  That would be like saying Airdrop sucks because I cant get it to work on an Android phone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

NFC is crap, when I tried transferring a photo from a Nokia Lumia 925 to my Samsung S4 it beeped like crazy and finally after trying various combinations of S-beam and NFC, I ended up with this:-

Usual half baked rubbish that sounds good in theory but doesn't turn out so well in reality.

• Reply 79 of 110

Looks like the spirit of S. Jobs ("make insanely great products" - I paraphrase) is still alive in Apple : )

• Reply 80 of 110
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    rogifan wrote: »

And looks like Forbes is joining the party too. :rolleyes: Yeah I get not everyone will love everything in iOS 7 but on the day of release does Forbes really need to start out highlighting what they think are negatives? :rolleyes:

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/finance/external/forbes/SIG=128hobdpn/*http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrogowsky/2013/09/18/7-misses-in-ios-7/?partner=yahootix