Apple releases iTunes 11.1 with iOS 7 support, iTunes Radio, Genius Shuffle, more

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2014
Ahead of the launch of iOS 7, Apple on Wednesday released iTunes 11.1, an update for its media suite that includes the new iTunes Radio for streaming music, as well as a new Genius Shuffle feature.

iTunes

iTunes 11.1 is available for download from Apple's website, and is also available for both Mac OS X and Windows. Features in the new software, according to Apple, include:
  • Tunes Radio. Choose from over 250 stations or start a new one from your favorite artist or song. Enjoy iTunes Radio ad-free once you subscribe to iTunes Match.
  • Genius Shuffle. Introducing a magical new way to experience your music library. Choose Genius Shuffle and iTunes instantly plays songs that go great together. Click it again to hear something new?enjoying your music has never been this easy.
  • Podcast Stations. You can now create custom stations of your favorite podcasts that update automatically with new episodes. Your stations, subscriptions, and current play position sync over iCloud to the Podcasts app.
  • Sync with iOS 7. You can now use iTunes to sync your favorite music, movies, and more to devices with iOS 7. In addition, iTunes now makes it even easier to quickly organize and sync apps to your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
iOS 7 is expected to arrive for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch around 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern, based on Apple's previous release schedules. It will be available through iTunes 11.1, as well as the Software Update section of the iOS Settings application.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 98
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Not sure I understand Genius Shuffle. How is it different from what Genius already does?
  • Reply 2 of 98
    But, have they fixed Itunes for PC so that it doesn't lag and hang so much. I understand it is made for Macs, but some of us don't have the luxury of having them. An increase in speed, esp during start-up would be great!
  • Reply 3 of 98

9:02am, update software in iTunes says I have the latest at version 11.05. Tried downloading from Apple and it's downloading version 11.05 even though the iTunes page talks about version 11.1. EDIT: Tried again a few minutes later and downloading 11.1 from Apples website. iTunes still says 11.05 is the latest version though while trying to update from there.

• Reply 4 of 98
    For me still 11.0.5 For Windows 8 x64...
  • Reply 5 of 98

Sigh. Still waiting for iRadio here in Germany. Likewise, how long until push mail on iCould is back on?

Just typing to pass time until iOS7... ;-)

• Reply 6 of 98
    Just downloaded from 11.1 from Apple's Website. Still nothing from Apple Software Update though...
  • Reply 7 of 98

It is good that they are releasing iOS 7 days before the new iPhones. But I really think Apple should have released iTunes yesterday instead of releasing everything today.

• Reply 9 of 98
    Beat me to it go to iTunes page on apple'a site.
  • Reply 10 of 98
    No iRadio tab in the Music App??
  • Reply 11 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

No iRadio tab in the Music App??

Nope, looks like they haven't activated it yet.

• Reply 12 of 98

not only that, I cannot update any apps in iTunes, been trying to update Gmail app and getting 'there is an error in iTunes store, please try again later' message

• Reply 13 of 98

i just downloaded iTunes11.1 & waiting for the iOS7 update

• Reply 14 of 98

all my itunes help pages are blank

• Reply 15 of 98
    I downloaded it through Apple's website but my Mac can't open it (disk image "not recognized")
  • Reply 16 of 98
    An I'm still up to date with iOS 6.1.4. Bother!
  • Reply 17 of 98
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I would like the option to download HD 24bit audio tracks and albums - come on Apple, Steve wanted this too! Will it ever happen?
  • Reply 18 of 98

Still nothing for me.  I am in Arizona and I have nothing in Software Update and apple.com still shows 11.0.5 for me.

• Reply 19 of 98
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

I would like the option to download HD 24bit audio tracks and albums - come on Apple, Steve wanted this too! Will it ever happen?

It's not up to (just) Apple ... the record labels have to agree to it before it can happen.

• Reply 20 of 98

I just downloaded ITunes 11.1 from site, but the dmg is not recognized.