Preorder concerns 'overblown' as survey shows strong demand for Apple's iPhone 5s & 5c

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    Typical.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    Overblown my left butt cheek. If Apple can't meet demand, it's going to face the same headache as last winter during the iMac debacle, times a thousand.

What was Cook thinking launching in so many markets at once when stock is so seriously constrained? Whether they eventually buy new phone or not, he's going to tick off a lot of loyal customers, and taking them for granted is NOT how you run a successful business.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Oh riiiiiiight.

We'll likely never know how well the 5c does.

They've invested in it, so they will get their two years out of it regardless. If it sells poorly this year, it will drop down to the entry level offering next year, likely in fewer color offerings, and the 5S will drop down to the number two phone as usual with the redesigned 6 taking the top spot.

I suppose once it becomes the entry level model, they could keep the design indefinitely, and maybe that's the plan. Possibly even a standard fourth tier LTE phone like the iPhone 4 has become in China?

Really? Don't they drop the flagship to the mid tier and the mid tier to the lower mid tier every year?
    cash907 wrote: »
    Overblown my left butt cheek. If Apple can't meet demand, it's going to face the same headache as last winter during the iMac debacle, times a thousand.

What was Cook thinking launching in so many markets at once when stock is so seriously constrained? Whether they eventually buy new phone or not, he's going to tick off a lot of loyal customers, and taking them for granted is NOT how you run a successful business.

I forget, what multi billion dollar company do you run?
  • Reply 24 of 40
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

I think demand for the iPhone 5s will be HUGE, but I just don't think demand will be that great for the 5c.  But I'm not an Apple Exec. so what do I know.  That's just my gut feeling.  Just look at the reports from pre-orders in China.  5s will sell out, 5c??? maybe not.  Why?  Well, my gut tells me 2 things:  1. Apple has created a huge surplus of 5c's because it's easier to produce...since it's basically an iPhone 5 with a new case...and 2. the iPhone 5s is much more complex with much more costly parts and untested manuf. process and yields.  However, in my mind, that's why Apple kind of missed the mark.  when you look at availabilities, the 5c is totally open and really the only reports you are seeing are that the *sim-free* models are the only ones selling to a point where delivery is past the initial Sept. 20th date.  I think they (Apple) would have much more success/interest if the 5c was $100 less.  But again, i'm no Apple Exec. with data to back it up.  Just what I'm hearing from people i know and what I read, and my own experiences.  Everyone wants the 5s, and only a few want the 5c.

• Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

It is? Or is it just reported as being so?

And I'm pretty sure Tim Cook knows how to run a successful company better than you do. It's better to have more initial demand then it is having more initial supply... business 101. You NEVER want to over-produce. You always want to continually increase production to eventually meet demand. 

Remember the Palm tablet fire sale? The Windows RT fire sale and now giveaway?

The iPhone 5c will lessen the pressure on iPhone 5s demand - that's why there's a "5c" and not last year's "5" sold for less.

• Reply 26 of 40
    antkm1 wrote: »
    I think demand for the iPhone 5s will be HUGE, but I just don't think demand will be that great for the 5c.  But I'm not an Apple Exec. so what do I know.  That's just my gut feeling.  Just look at the reports from pre-orders in China.  5s will sell out, 5c??? maybe not.  Why?  Well, my gut tells me 2 things:  1. Apple has created a huge surplus of 5c's because it's easier to produce...since it's basically an iPhone 5 with a new case...and 2. the iPhone 5s is much more complex with much more costly parts and untested manuf. process and yields.  However, in my mind, that's why Apple kind of missed the mark.  when you look at availabilities, the 5c is totally open and really the only reports you are seeing are that the *sim-free* models are the only ones selling to a point where delivery is past the initial Sept. 20th date.  I think we'd have a much more success if the 5c was $100 less.  But again, i'm no Apple Exec. with data to back it up.  Just what I'm hearing from people i know and what I read, and my own experiences.  Everyone wants the 5s, and only a few want the 5c.

Techies want the 5S. The average consumer will love the 5C. Techies aren't the average consumer. If they made 5MM 5's last year, I bet they'll have 4-5 MM 5S's and 6-8 MM 5C's available on first weekend. I'm just guessing of course.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I think demand for the iPhone 5s will be HUGE, but I just don't think demand will be that great for the 5c.  But I'm not an Apple Exec. so what do I know.  That's just my gut feeling.  Just look at the reports from pre-orders in China.  5s will sell out, 5c??? maybe not.  Why?  Well, my gut tells me 2 things:  1. Apple has created a huge surplus of 5c's because it's easier to produce...since it's basically an iPhone 5 with a new case...and 2. the iPhone 5s is much more complex with much more costly parts and untested manuf. process and yields.  However, in my mind, that's why Apple kind of missed the mark.  when you look at availabilities, the 5c is totally open and really the only reports you are seeing are that the *sim-free* models are the only ones selling to a point where delivery is past the initial Sept. 20th date.  I think they (Apple) would have much more success/interest if the 5c was $100 less.  But again, i'm no Apple Exec. with data to back it up.  Just what I'm hearing from people i know and what I read, and my own experiences.  Everyone wants the 5s, and only a few want the 5c.

Well, it's simple. They were able to build more 5c's. The 5s is extremely complicated to build, just ask the head of Foxconn who said, "The iPhone 5 [design] is the hardest device we've ever had to assemble - severely constraining yields." I doubt that has changed.

This explains two things... Why the iPhone 5 is no longer being made (costs and yield) and why they switched to the iPhone 5c; switch all iPhone 5 lines to iPhone 5s and create a new "year old" model that was much easier and less expensive to make.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Anyone remember what Tim cook said (I think it was all things d interview) he said he wish he hadn't rushed the new iMac out last year. And we see what he means by that this year, so far only MacBook Air updated. And iPhone 5c/s. My guess is there aren't too many iPhone 5s around (3-5 million in stock? May be even less) 5c will be plenty probably. I normally avoid the initial rush during launch. And after 4 iPhones , I learn that there might be QC issue during the initial batch. So I just sit and wait.

I think 5c will be a huge success , my guess-it mate it will out sell the entire galaxy S4 in 1,2 month. There is nothing cheap about their unapologetic plastic (anyone bitch about iPhone 3GS being plastic?) so save your breath about dropping another 100 bucks, if those who are so hard up about a hundred buck. Might be better off getting a Nokia. Think about it, you might spent that much drinking coffee in a month ...
  • Reply 29 of 40
    The analysts are manipulators, fickle bitches, attention seekers, embittered nonmillionaires, and blind sheep.

The major news organizations are even worse because they publish the analysts' spewings as news.

Are there a few very smart, well informed analysts? Sure.

But as a whole the are about as reliable as movie critics and should be similarly ignored.

Look at how Apple was crucified this week. The new phones were declared to be disasters. The supply chain was called grotesquely inadequate. The new products were lambasted as lacking in innovation. The whole ethos of Apple was attacked on hundreds of blogs, in many major newspapers, and on the vast majority of financial sites.

And this I say unto you, bishes. Apple has its sheeet together.

New phones? Huge hit. New iOS? Pop-u-lar. Supply chain? Good shape. New products? The stage is set. 64 bits? You got 'em. Biometrics? It works, duh. New Macs? Comin' right up. New product category? Watch this space.

Bish all you want, bishes. Go bish about Apple on www.bishaboutapple.com.

I'm buying more APPL and I just bought two 5C's for family members.

That Sam has Sung.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    ".... suggesting that investor concerns over device preorders may be unfounded."

That should read "analyst" concerns.
    They just grasp at snippets of information and spew out unfounded conclusions.

If a "normal" person did the same type of job that analysts do, they'd get fired.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    jungmark wrote: »
    cash907 wrote: »

I forget, what multi billion dollar company do you run?

Brilliant!
  • Reply 32 of 40
    512ke wrote: »
    Bish all you want, bishes. Go bish about Apple on www.bishaboutapple.com.

That would be:
    http://www.applebitch.com
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Techies want the 5S. The average consumer will love the 5C. Techies aren't the average consumer. If they made 5MM 5's last year, I bet they'll have 4-5 MM 5S's and 6-8 MM 5C's available on first weekend. I'm just guessing of course.

Indeed. I know someone who bought an iPhone 4 two months ago. A 4! I told them they should have gotten the 4S. Their response? "This does what I need, and it was free." I do wish they had paid the $99 or waited two months and gotten the 4S for free, because I think they would have liked Siri, but it shows that there are people who are satisfied with less than the latest-and-greatest.

Me, I'll be getting the 5S. Looking forward to it!

• Reply 34 of 40
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I think demand for the iPhone 5s will be HUGE, but I just don't think demand will be that great for the 5c. But I'm not an Apple Exec. so what do I know.

A lot. Because you’re absolutely right, and no one should be expecting it to move the same–or even remotely close–volume.

iPhone 5 sold 50% of all iPhones. iPhone 4 and 4S made up the other 50. We can expect the same of iPhone 5S… except analysts will demand of Apple that iPhone 5C sell as much as the 5S because it’s a “new phone”. You watch.

If iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C don’t each comprise 50% of all iPhone sales, analysts will herald this as the end of Apple and the stock will plummet. Watch.

“Wait… So… iPhone 4S will be…”

3%. ;)

• Reply 35 of 40
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

... no one should be expecting it to move the same–or even remotely close–volume.

iPhone 5 sold 50% of all iPhones. iPhone 4 and 4S made up the other 50. We can expect the same of iPhone 5S…

except analysts will demand of Apple that iPhone 5C sell as much as the 5S because it’s a “new phone”. You watch.

Well said on all counts. The measure of the 5C's success is how it does in comparison to how the 4 and 4S sold over the past 12 months, not in comparison to the 5.

• Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:

A lot. Because you’re absolutely right, and no one should be expecting it to move the same–or even remotely close–volume.

iPhone 5 sold 50% of all iPhones. iPhone 4 and 4S made up the other 50. We can expect the same of iPhone 5S… except analysts will demand of Apple that iPhone 5C sell as much as the 5S because it’s a “new phone”. You watch.

If iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C don’t each comprise 50% of all iPhone sales, analysts will herald this as the end of Apple and the stock will plummet. Watch.

“Wait… So… iPhone 4S will be…”

3%. ;)

Doesn't seem to be just the analysts expecting a high volume for the 5C. A few people on this forum, one in particular, seems to think the 5C is going to be a blow-out, and the main reason for an increased number of opening weekend sales.

I look forward to the actual number next Monday.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Doesn't seem to be just the analysts expecting a high volume for the 5C. A few people on this forum, one in particular, seems to think the 5C is going to be a blow-out, and the main reason for an increased number of opening weekend sales. I look forward to the actual number next Monday.

Let’s assume that since the 5 was 50%, the 4 and 4S were equally 25. I personally think the 5C will do better than 25%, but not by much. This doesn’t come on the wings of “oh, people thought it was going to be cheaper, so they won’t buy it now”, no; people on the street couldn’t care less what analysts lied about because they don’t listen to that. 

They see three iPhones in three identical price points to last year except, hey, the middle model comes in cool colors now! I think that will be a slightly greater catalyst for sales, is all. 

So I believe the 5C will sell better than the 4S did in the middle and I also believe the 5C will sell better than the 5 would have had it kept existing instead.

Aside: Some of those morons need to take more than five seconds to think about what they’re saying before they say it, you know? “The iPhone 5 was discontinued because of the low yields and how hard it was to make.” Yeah? So why is the 5S the exact same body? You think Apple doesn’t know how to roughly double production of a product to make way for two models using the same case design? Come on, guys.

• Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:

Aside: Some of those morons need to take more than five seconds to think about what they’re saying before they say it, you know? “The iPhone 5 was discontinued because of the low yields and how hard it was to make.” Yeah? So why is the 5S the exact same body? You think Apple doesn’t know how to roughly double production of a product to make way for two models using the same case design? Come on, guys.

I actually don't think Cook was going to chance having supply constraints on the 5S by having to also build the 5.

As mentioned before... we know directly from the manufacturer's mouth that it's a tough build.

• Reply 39 of 40
    I've got plans to wake up really early to get in line. Haven't done this since Black Friday about 6 years back, and the XBox 360 a couple of years before that.

I think Apple company and stock are treated like no other. The reason seems to be a very hardened group of people who really really hate Apple. Some of those people also work as analysts and commentators, besides the students who are paid by Samsung. Their complaints are puzzling, since in a capitalistic system, they have other options available to them. It's like they want to SAVE the rest of us from something, because they have the TRUTH.

I'm committed to the stock, because the only gamble seems to be overcoming the negativity. I think Apple will be able to do that this year.