Apple releases redesigned iOS 7 for iPhone & iPad with Control Center, AirDrop, iTunes Radio, more

Comments

• Reply 101 of 247
    The iTunes radio concept is cool, obviously like Pandora. Could REALLY do without the commercials. Computers are updated and one out of two phones. Server must be getting hammered.
  • Reply 102 of 247
    Restarted 5 times on the iOS 7 install (iPhone 5) and so far, so good this time.
  • Reply 103 of 247

Finished at 2PM EST so 1 hour for full install to home screen.

My iPhone is now like the collision of an Android phone and Legoland.  Not sure I am in love with it but will give it time.

cryptoanarchy.com

• Reply 104 of 247

iTunes is finally showing the new update is available for my iPhone, but judging by the various errors I get at different stages of the downloads, it would appear Apple opened the floodgates before mirroring of the update files got propagated to all their servers. That might explain why some people are getting it and other aren't. My transfer rates are 6.8MB/s :)

Seems that with each attempt, my failure point increases a bit each time, so definitely looks like a propagation issue.

• Reply 105 of 247
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diz_geek View Post

Looks like updates via iTunes (rather than 'on-device') just went live.

The on-device method was the only one that worked for me, ironically.  Then again, I still have 10 minutes left, so I shouldn't say that it "worked" quite yet. :)

• Reply 106 of 247

Already bought 4 new songs through iRadio...IOS7 is taking a long time.

• Reply 107 of 247

iPhone 4S updated with iOS 7, but just cannot update iPad 3, get a message that says - An Error Has Occurred'

• Reply 108 of 247
    its over an hour after release and my phone (4S) still doesn't show an update available.... what gives. Im on the east coast of the US (def not the middle of nowhere). It's the same whether I try over the air or through iTunes. Just tells me that my iOS 6.1.3 is the latest software available. Is this just the server being down or am I missing something?
  • Reply 109 of 247
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mauidano1 View Post

The iTunes radio concept is cool, obviously like Pandora. Could REALLY do without the commercials. Computers are updated and one out of two phones. Server must be getting hammered.

I think the ads go away if you have iTunes Match.  I haven't heard any ads yet.

Maybe just lucky?

But if not, iTunes Match and ad-free iTunes Radio all for $25/year is a pretty good deal, I guess.
  • Reply 110 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

The on-device method was the only one that worked for me, ironically.  Then again, I still have 10 minutes left, so I shouldn't say that it "worked" quite yet. :)

It wasn't working until about 2:00.  I was hoping to use the Mac-iTunes-USB-to-iPhone method as the 'on-device' is so slow for me (been 'preparing' for about an hour now...), but the update was available 'on-device' first so I went that route.  Ah, well....

• Reply 111 of 247
    adyb wrote: »
    UK & I didn't start until 18.06 local time!!

My clock only goes to 12. ;)
  • Reply 112 of 247
    Quote:

Originally Posted by msalganik View Post

its over an hour after release and my phone (4S) still doesn't show an update available.... what gives. Im on the east coast of the US (def not the middle of nowhere). It's the same whether I try over the air or through iTunes. Just tells me that my iOS 6.1.3 is the latest software available. Is this just the server being down or am I missing something?

Same thing happened to me for a long time.  Eventually, I FLIPPED OUT and hit update on my iPhone repeatedly, over and over, and suddenly it gave me the D/L and Install screen. :)

I think there are just too many people trying to d/l, and then there are morons like me hitting the button over and over again.  Sorry. 
  • Reply 113 of 247
    Well it took 3 tries but the update is installing now....... iOS 7 here I come
  • Reply 114 of 247
    I'm waiting until 2am local time to upgrade. You people had better not be downloading. :)
  • Reply 115 of 247
    Quote:

Originally Posted by msalganik View Post

Keep trying in a little while.. It's just queue mechanism.. You gotta make it in at the right time :).

Your neighbour might get it, if he managed to make the queue..

It's similar to a busy night club with the Bouncer at the door scenario..

When people leave, more get in.. Like wise when people finish downloading the first in the queue makes it in.
  • Reply 116 of 247

I wonder what's happening behind the scene's during the Preparing Update phase..

Appears to be stuck on that for the last 10 - 15 mins :D

• Reply 117 of 247

Not sure if this will help anyone. I was over on MacDailyNews, and someone suggested that I unplug my phone and update iOS 7.

When my phone was on a charger (not connected to my Mac)  it had a 6 hour download time, over 20/Mbps wifi, unplugged my phone, immediately went down to 16 minutes.

Same with my iPad 2, which is complete.  My iPhone is about a third finished with the install.

I have an iPhone 4s, and plan on getting a gold iPhone 5s.

• Reply 118 of 247
    I always enjoy the install/preorder threads.

We're all doing the same thing. Looking at our phone/comp, staring at a unitless progress bar, thinking, "Did it move forward? No. A moment ago it was about to strike even with the edge of the apple, but it's still there... unless... unless... why don't I have a protractor, clearly my eyes are drawing that line at 89 degrees... surely there was progress. Only now it looks like it went backwards. So I'm certain my eyes can't draw a perpendicular line. If I draw a line from the ambient light sensor, to the left edge of the home button, the point at which that line strikes the progress bar is displaced no more than two mm from the progress indicator. If it is any less than 2 mm I know that it has progressed, and certainly if it passes the point of intersection I will know that there was progress, I'll just know it. Oh, big jump there. My geometry was unneeded. Now, though, if I draw a line from the right edge of the speaker to the right edge of the home button..."

...at least, I hope everyone else is doing this.

My update is that my download is finished, it has rebooted, and the progress bar is now even with the point of intersection between the progress bar and a line that passes through the upper right corner of the screen that is tangent to the left edge of the home button. :)
  • Reply 119 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I think the ads go away if you have iTunes Match.  I haven't heard any ads yet.

Maybe just lucky?

But if not, iTunes Match and ad-free iTunes Radio all for $25/year is a pretty good deal, I guess.

No, you're correct. iTunes Match = ad free iTunes Radio.

• Reply 120 of 247
    nikilok wrote: »
    I wonder what's happening behind the scene's during the Preparing Update phase..
    Appears to be stuck on that for the last 10 - 15 mins :D

It's doing linear algebra problems, just to entertain itself. ;)