Apple showcases 'Designed Together' iPhone 5c & iOS 7 in new ad

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new television advertisement touting the tight integration of Apple's iPhone 5c and iOS 7 has been posted to the company's official YouTube account.

The spot, which runs fifty-five seconds, highlights the design consistency between the iPhone 5c and iOS 7. Several design elements of the OS and hardware morph and blend into each other, beginning with Siri's new audio waveform user interface and touching on ? among other things ? new icons, the iPhone 5c's camera, iOS 7's redesigned Messages interface, the phone's signature colorful polycarbonate shell, and its available Apple-designed silicone cases.

Apple's marketing message for the iPhone 5c has centered around the synergy between hardware and software. In the device's introductory video, Apple Senior Vice President of Design Jony Ive ? under whom the design of both hardware and software was consolidated after the ouster of former iOS chief Scott Forstall ? says that Apple believes "the iPhone is an experience, an experience that's defined by hardware and software working harmoniously together."

"We continue to refine that experience, dramatically blurring the boundaries between the two," Ive continues. Craig Federighi, Apple's senior vice president of software engineering, is even more explicit: "iOS 7 is designed to complement the iPhone 5c beautifully," he said in the same video.

Continuing Apple's tradition of selecting up-and-coming artists for their advertisements, the spot is backed by indie-electronic duo Lemaitre's track "1:18." This is the second ad for the new device, following in the footsteps of 'Plastic Perfected' which was shown at Apple's September 10th special event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Great! That's the kind of advertising I like.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

Great! That's the kind of advertising I like.

Me too! I think Apple is doing great. 

• Reply 3 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

If the goal of advertising is to sell product this is the best Apple ad in quite a while. This will defiantly make the iPhone 5C seem appealing and will get young people wanting one.

• Reply 4 of 24
    Me too!
    Gaspingly beautiful and razorsharply consistent.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Great continuity between the OS and hardware.

That's what Apple is all about and it's something Samsung or Android will never be able to replicate.

Posted via iOS 7
  • Reply 6 of 24
    It is only now that I get to glimpse the underlying ideas of the new design. I feel like Apple is showing us how to look better by limiting the colorpalette and extending textures at the same time. A subtle gift. Thanks!!!
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Best commercial I've seen from Apple in a while.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Great ad. Apple sure is spending a lot of time focusing on hardware and software design collaboration. Kind of odd that they didn't really do that under Steve. I recently read a story from a former Apple industrial designer and he said when the iPhone was being developed they had no idea what the software looked like. All they had was a printed fake mockup that they pasted on to the hardware. :wow:
  • Reply 9 of 24
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Excellent! Very nice indeed.

• Reply 10 of 24
    Beautiful Funky Ad! I watched this a few times. 5C and iOS7 fit nicely together. This would have been a great Ad to show at the event last week.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Great continuity between the OS and hardware.

I actually far prefer the contrast between the 5S and iOS 7.

• Reply 12 of 24
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    That was fucking beautiful.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

I love this ad.  Beautiful.  Cool.  Original.  And it sells something that Android can't dream about much less touch: the integration of software and hardware design.  WIN.

• Reply 14 of 24
    So iOS 7 was designed for the iPhone 5c... but not the 5s? Interesting.
  • Reply 15 of 24

Guys, shut up about Android. This is Apple Insider, not Android Insider.

• Reply 16 of 24
    What an uplifting ad! Visuals conveying the message. This is the kind of ads they should make. Not the Hallmark ones. Great song - just bought the EP.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Makes me wants to get the 5c instead. But I'm looking forward to Touch ID.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    queue wrote: »
    Makes me wants to get the 5c instead. But I'm looking forward to Touch ID.
    GET BOTH! *wink*
  • Reply 19 of 24
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Great ad. Apple sure is spending a lot of time focusing on hardware and software design collaboration. Kind of odd that they didn't really do that under Steve. I recently read a story from a former Apple industrial designer and he said when the iPhone was being developed they had no idea what the software looked like. All they had was a printed fake mockup that they pasted on to the hardware. image

Erm, you'll find that's because of the secrecy that Steve had the original iPhone developed under.

• Reply 20 of 24
    Wow that ad is awesome, very inspired work, way inspired. Wow wow.