Facebook 6.5 to launch today with refreshed, iOS 7-savvy design

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Facebook is launching an iOS app update today that includes a new menu at the bottom of the app for enhanced navigation, along with design elements inspired by Apple's just released iOS 7.

Facebook 6.5
Source: Facebook

The new menu in Facebook 6.5 (emphasized above and and presented in full screen below) lets users quickly switch from their News Feed to friend Requests, Messages or Notifications with a tap along the bottom of the screen. Previous versions of the iOS app used side menus that slid in from either side.

Facebook 6.5

A tap on ?More? (below) provides additional options, including access to your own Timeline, groups, events and more. The new app is also designed to reflect the design cues of iOS 7, including a translucent bar at the top of the app that dynamically shifts as the user scrolls through feed posts and photos.

Facebook 6.5

In addition to the new appearance, and the user facing enhancements present in bundled apps, iOS 7 offers app developers new features including AirDrop and expanded sharing, new Multitasking support for background updates, Sprite Kit and new Game Center features, iBeacon support for Bluetooth LE, Inter-App Audio for streaming audio between music apps, new Map Kit features for navigation and overlays, high frame rate video capture, custom video composition and barcode scanning.

iPhone 5s

iOS 7 will also introduce support for the iPhone 5s with Touch ID, incorporating Apple's latest and most advanced 64-bit A7 Application Processor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Not that Facebook would necessarily benefit from it, but I wonder if this has a 64-bit version?

I was somewhat surprised to read on AnandTech that all of iOS7 and (as I read it) all Apple apps are 64 bit on the iPhone 5s. Some folks (including myself) are wondering how fast third party software will follow to 64 bit...
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Is it still popular? I hear a lot of folks -at the barber- they hardly use it anymore. Having 900M accounts won't do much if people don't interact. Wrong word; hanging their laundry out for everyone to see, be it clean...or dirty. Interaction is something different, like connecting with someone, over the phone, meeting, instead of Facebook.

edit: and why is this Brian Zeitler guy not smiling. He's on Facebook after all.
  • Reply 3 of 19

I just hope they have improved performance...  It's been nearly unusable as of late.

• Reply 4 of 19
    I'd be happy if it just let me set my news feed to "most recent" by default.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member

Evil Facebook not on any Apple  adorn.

Google free I should be

If iCloud to another client be worn.

Sigh.

• Reply 6 of 19
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Is it still popular? I hear a lot of folks -at the barber- they hardly use it anymore. Having 900M accounts won't do much if people don't interact. Wrong word; hanging their laundry out for everyone to see, be it clean...or dirty. Interaction is something different, like connecting with someone, over the phone, meeting, instead of Facebook.

edit: and why is this Brian Zeitler guy not smiling. He's on Facebook after all.

I deleted my account a few months ago

• Reply 7 of 19
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

Google free I should be

a bit of Yoda in there?

• Reply 8 of 19
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I haven't opened it in a couple weeks. And when I do, it's only when I need the entertainment of grotesque human stupidity. 

• Reply 9 of 19

meh, Facebook jumped the shark for me months ago. I check it maybe once a month, if that. I got tired of the mindless reposts, intrusive marketing tactics, and every time they updated and "improved" the app it just became more annoying to use. I stay in touch with the people who matter the old-fashined way, emails and phone calls.

• Reply 10 of 19
    snova wrote: »
    I deleted my account a few months ago

I hope you also deleted the history, some weird stories going on in that department (like still receiving emails when people tag you in a photo, or somesuch)
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

I'd be happy if it just let me set my news feed to "most recent" by default.

Totally agree. That's my only real gripe, to be honest. I like the option to change it, but wish they would allow you to set Most Recent as the default. I use the FB app frequently enough (5 or 6x a day) that I'd see the majority of what I want to see that way. Excited to see the new version of the app - I like the look based on the photos in the article. Hopefully I'll be able to get iOS7 w/out too much of a wait when I get home from work in a bit, and then upgrade the apps from there.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Awesome. Hate FB the service and company though.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Woohoo!!! I can't wait :D Gimme Flat!!
  • Reply 14 of 19

Glancing at these screenshots, it looks like Facebook 6.5 has less vertical space for displaying content as a result of this change.  It looks like the menu at the top got split into two: a portion at the top and an expanded portion at the bottom.

I cannot say I am particularly impressed, if correct.  I prefer a minimalistic approach to UI design -- much like post-Chrome for web browsers.

• Reply 15 of 19
    philboogie wrote: »

My news feed is busy as ever. I never noticed a slowdown in Facebook interaction.

Unless I happen to be connected to the only people who still use Facebook :err:

But I find that unlikely...
  • Reply 16 of 19

Looks like the Slide-Out navigation has been dropped for a Tab-Bar navigation at the bottom similar to the iPod App, App Store App and other native apps.

• Reply 17 of 19
    The funny thing is; it used to be like that back in the days. Suddenly the slide navigation got all popular which I do like in Facebook.

I feel they took the wrong turn here. Less vertical space. And why should they take iOS7 design cues? I'm perfectly willing to conform to the rules of an app, as long as the design choices are logical and somewhat in line with trends (and therefore my expectations in U.I behavior)
  • Reply 18 of 19

It's a wretchedly slow app, and prone to crashes. It also has idiotic text edit views (full width isn't available to the actual text, frames close the editing function, etc). Like OKCupid, these guys are totally not using the iPhone API, just so they can make cross-platform apps. The result is a GUI that is not only inconsistent with the OS, but also badly designed in general.

• Reply 19 of 19
    dysamoria wrote: »
    It's a wretchedly slow app, and prone to crashes. It also has idiotic text edit views (full width isn't available to the actual text, frames close the editing function, etc). Like OKCupid, these guys are totally not using the iPhone API, just so they can make cross-platform apps. The result is a GUI that is not only inconsistent with the OS, but also badly designed in general.

Funny how all this applies to the company in general as well.