Transitioning from iOS 6 to Apple's overhauled iOS 7

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69

Anyone else have an issue where their photostreams were all gone after installing iOS 7?  Any idea how to get these back?

• Reply 42 of 69

To quote Martin Riggs from "Lethal Weapon"..."Will somebody shoot this prick?"

• Reply 43 of 69
    Originally Posted by happyjoel View Post

How could you put an image of a woman with a gun in this article. Are you that insensitive and out of touch with reality?

Sorry; we forgot that both women and guns no longer exist. You’d think people would remember the Femmocide of ’05, but hey; times change.

Last time I read anything on your site!!!!!

Good; leave.

Originally Posted by happyjoel View Post

There is no wrong time or place!

This is a website about Apple–the company–and its products. And you’re whining about women and guns?

…right and wrong?

This ought to be good. Providing you’re not banned before you read this, how is it “wrong” to show a picture of a woman? Of a gun? Of the two together?

Originally Posted by russgriz View Post

To quote Martin Riggs from "Lethal Weapon"..."Will somebody shoot this prick?"

How? Guns don’t exist anymore, according to him.

• Reply 44 of 69
    Yeah, only men can have guns. How dare anyone put a woman with a gun, or anything else they might choose, on their iPhone lock screen. Anyone who would think anything different must be a bozo!
  • Reply 45 of 69
    happyjoel wrote: »
    meaningless blabber, put down your phone and wake up!

Waiting for the ban. ... Please, nothing but hate from this one.
  • Reply 46 of 69
    I love iOS7 so far. I did have to google for spotlight search though. I feel like the icon for "reading list" is a nod to Steve Jobs glasses.
  • Reply 47 of 69

I WAS really feeling NO luv for the new UI and could not figure out why it felt SO different that what I had seen on the WWDC keynote.  I decided to go back and watch the keynote again to see if I could put my finger on why I was having such a negative reaction to the UI.  In a word, TRANSLUCENCY!  iOS7 on my IP5 had ZERO translucency.  It made everything super flat and SUPER ugly.

Called AppleCare and it stumped them at first.  They decided to have me do a "reset all settings" and that fixed it.  WOW! what a difference.  There was more than just translucency getting fouled up.  Many of the colors that were TOO garish and intense are now more subdued and polished.  

If your control panel pullup does NOT show the blurred background image, then you TOO have been afflicted with this ailment.  Just do the reset and all will be well.

David

• Reply 48 of 69
    I highly agree with "dtidmore" I'm having reading the labels on the icons and the flat icons are lame. Give me back my 3D compass for Safari and my legal note pad for notes and white type on my light wallpaper is the pits. Wallpaper won't let me scale my image so I'm left with the center of my selected photos. App Store is not letting me see my purchased apps so I can restore the ones I needed to throw away just so I could install this update. I think I'll wait to put it on my iPhone 5 until I'm comfortable with iOS 7 on my iPad and some of these issues are resolved.
  • Reply 49 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

Wallpaper won't let me scale my image so I'm left with the center of my selected photos. 

When you select your desired pic for wallpaper at the bottom of the pic are the words, move and scale, touch there and you can move and size the pic to your desire.

FYI, I have discovered that pics with LOTs of brown tones really work nice for wallpaper for both readability of the white texts as well as the translucency.  I do agree that they screwed up notes.  

David

• Reply 50 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

App Store is not letting me see my purchased apps so I can restore the ones I needed to throw away just so I could install this update. 

Just found purchases in the app store app.  You go to updates and at the top is the link to purchased.  

• Reply 51 of 69

Everything looks too small! Now I can't read even with my glasses! :wow:

This iOS 7 was made for a 5 inch iPhone!

Otherwise it looks nice, I like it! But I NEED A 5 INCH IPHONEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

• Reply 52 of 69
    dtidmore wrote: »
    I am NOT feeling the luv for the new UI that I expected.  I HATE the new folders setup.  Before we had 4 columns within a folder even though nesting folders was not allowed.  Now they only allow 3 columns per folder, so folders that previously held all associated apps are NOW spread across two folders and I have to swipe back and forth to get to what I previously could do with just a single tap to the wanted app.  I also am finding that the new flat icons are harder to make out on the main screen.  

Parts of the new UI are wonderful, but I am beginning to feel that TOO many visual clues may have been removed in the effort to purge iOS of its previous excesses.

As a side note I could NOT believe that Apple did NOT update the "find friends" app.  It is still beautiful, simulated, Corinthian stitched leather.

David

I have to fully agree with you, I was really looking forward to iOS 7, but now I have it I must say I really do hate it!
  • Reply 53 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AKinDC View Post

Aren't the folders in iOS7 supposed to be transparent? Mine are a solid, opaque color...really, really ugly.

Like the other stuff though.

You must have an older device. iPhone 4 will not get the translucency features because of speed issues.

• Reply 54 of 69
    dysamoria wrote: »
    You must have an older device. iPhone 4 will not get the translucency features because of speed issues.

You'll also find that the background of the dock and the folders color change with the background wallpaper.

The os Basically reads the majority of the color pallet in your background wallpaper and sets the folder background and dock to that color.

For instance if you have a sunset picture where most of the color in the photo is a warm yellow or orange then your dock and folder background will match.

Now if it's an ocean with lots of blue then viola your background folders and dock will be blue.

I do miss many of the gleam and shine of the old iOS.

Especially the glass dock with reflection. I can't help but say, I feel that some of the look of this would've been hacked to death by SJ
  • Reply 55 of 69
    iOS 7 is just the 'beginning.'

It will get refined. It's just the start of a new direction.

I have it on my iPad 3.

iPhone 5 will be next.

Going to play with it. Downloaded it last night.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 56 of 69
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

You'll also find that the background of the dock and the folders color change with the background wallpaper.

The os Basically reads the majority of the color pallet in your background wallpaper and sets the folder background and dock to that color.

For instance if you have a sunset picture where most of the color in the photo is a warm yellow or orange then your dock and folder background will match.

Now if it's an ocean with lots of blue then viola your background folders and dock will be blue.

I do miss many of the gleam and shine of the old iOS.

Especially the glass dock with reflection. I can't help but say, I feel that some of the look of this would've been hacked to death by SJ

All these musings are pointless: in this age of marketing, something like an iPhone is as much a fashion product as a technology tool. As such, it has to look contemporary, not old-fashioned, unless it looks really old-fashioned (aka SteamPunk) and that happens to be fashionable at the moment.

The flat design trend has long been coming. Skype was one of the first to adopt it in the tech space, but there are others. Luxury brands jumped on it years ago in their print ads. The Prada luxury phone looked from a design point of view more with the times than the iPhone even though it offered only a fraction of the functionality.

iOS was looking more and more out of touch for a fashion product.

Some people think of the 70s as a time of garish colors and ugly design, some hate the 80s, others the 90s grunge, etc. Each period have some classics that look good even out of context, but they will be recognized as children of their time. When it comes to physical goods, I have long decided that my shopping habits will be feast and famine: when the trends hit my taste, I stock up, and when color schemes and design language shifts away from what I like, I disengage. This way my environment looks like what I like, but while it will be good design, it won't be fashionable except in moments in time.

Apple doesn't have that luxury. This is as good a time as any to refreshen the product. Actually, it's an ideal point: Apple needs to show that even without Jobs they can be relevant to ongoing trends AND that they can succeed with choices that are not approved or made by his holiness of St. Steve.

Are there things I like better now? Yes. Are there things I liked better before? Yes.

But unfortunately, we're not getting away from this give and take.

I feel similarly about various random changes in OS X over time.

Ideally, Apple would finally make all their software themeable, which would also whip some lazy software developers into shape (Adobe, and others eternally backwards company who try to push their lazy, proprietary cross-platform API GUI apps on us, instead of offering first-class native apps). 

That way, Apple could offer all the various Themes as an option: from OS X 10.0 all the way to the current look. After an upgrade, the current look would be the default choice, similar for new user accounts. But users could pick one of the legacy themes if they like it better.

With the various auto-layout functionality and given the Cocoa APIs, this would really be easy to do, just as old apps adopt the new look when running on a newer version of the OS, so they could switch looks as different themes are selected.

Plus, it would open up space for an entirely new category of AppStore sales: themes.

Anyway, wishful thinking, for the time being.

• Reply 57 of 69

So far.  I like the icons on the intro screen.  Things seem to be quick and zippy enough.

I guess it's a little clinical and stark.  An example of that?  The note application.  I liked the yellow application.  The new one is very stark.  Sure the old games centre was tacky...and the new one works better.  So it goes.

It lacks the warmth of iOS 6 and prior.  It doesn't have four years or so of refinement behind it yet.

That may come with time.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 58 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

All these musings are pointless: in this age of marketing, something like an iPhone is as much a fashion product as a technology tool. As such, it has to look contemporary, not old-fashioned, unless it looks really old-fashioned (aka SteamPunk) and that happens to be fashionable at the moment.

The flat design trend has long been coming. Skype was one of the first to adopt it in the tech space, but there are others. Luxury brands jumped on it years ago in their print ads. The Prada luxury phone looked from a design point of view more with the times than the iPhone even though it offered only a fraction of the functionality.

iOS was looking more and more out of touch for a fashion product.

Some people think of the 70s as a time of garish colors and ugly design, some hate the 80s, others the 90s grunge, etc. Each period have some classics that look good even out of context, but they will be recognized as children of their time. When it comes to physical goods, I have long decided that my shopping habits will be feast and famine: when the trends hit my taste, I stock up, and when color schemes and design language shifts away from what I like, I disengage. This way my environment looks like what I like, but while it will be good design, it won't be fashionable except in moments in time.

Apple doesn't have that luxury. This is as good a time as any to refreshen the product. Actually, it's an ideal point: Apple needs to show that even without Jobs they can be relevant to ongoing trends AND that they can succeed with choices that are not approved or made by his holiness of St. Steve.

Are there things I like better now? Yes. Are there things I liked better before? Yes.

But unfortunately, we're not getting away from this give and take.

I feel similarly about various random changes in OS X over time.

Ideally, Apple would finally make all their software themeable, which would also whip some lazy software developers into shape (Adobe, and others eternally backwards company who try to push their lazy, proprietary cross-platform API GUI apps on us, instead of offering first-class native apps). 

That way, Apple could offer all the various Themes as an option: from OS X 10.0 all the way to the current look. After an upgrade, the current look would be the default choice, similar for new user accounts. But users could pick one of the legacy themes if they like it better.

With the various auto-layout functionality and given the Cocoa APIs, this would really be easy to do, just as old apps adopt the new look when running on a newer version of the OS, so they could switch looks as different themes are selected.

Plus, it would open up space for an entirely new category of AppStore sales: themes.

Anyway, wishful thinking, for the time being.

A sound post.

Phones are very much about fashion as they are functionality.

The new iPhone 5C is no accident.  The colours in iPhone 5S.  Similarly.  Perhaps somewhat overdue moves.  And I'll expect a bigger screen iPhone to compliment the range next year.

But yes, if Apple didn't move with the  times on it's iOS the competition can catch up and eclipse you.  You can run the risk of going from cool to unhip.

They don't want to be the only one wearing flares when every one else has moved to skinny jeans...

iOS 7, skinny jeans? ;)

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 59 of 69
    I hate it. My 50 year old eyes have trouble seeing the new thinner font, especially when print is small. Also Apple got too swipe happy, as it's too easy to swipe to a different screen, in error when you don't intend to. Also looks terrible on a 4S, screen too small, and screen is slightly truncated, can't see it all until you scroll slightly, so you have to get a 5. Hardly backward compatible. Be warned before you upgrade to iOS 7.
  • Reply 60 of 69
    Hi Neil,

i think your lock screen background image is awesome. do you mind to share it in original size?

nice article btw, thanks,

ciniko