Soundsticks or Creature

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi there!

What soundsystem would you recommend?

Harman/Kardon's SoundSticks or JBL's recently announced Creature?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    after hearing both @ MWNY... it would depend on how far away you would be from the speakers at any given moment... If you are going to be relativly close to your speakers ALL the time, the Creatures will work fine... but if they are going to be more then 2-3 feet away, you are 100Xs better off with the soundsticks, the Creatures sound tinny from longer distances...
  • Reply 2 of 26
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

<strong>after hearing both @ MWNY... it would depend on how far away you would be from the speakers at any given moment... If you are going to be relativly close to your speakers ALL the time, the Creatures will work fine... but if they are going to be more then 2-3 feet away, you are 100Xs better off with the soundsticks, the Creatures sound tinny from longer distances...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Have to go with Paul on this one

:cool:

I love soundsticks, and my Cubes both have theirs, but for the iMac I opted for white Creatures. The touch and mute is nice, but for DVDs A Cinema Display and SoundSticks does it.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    i just ordered some creatures. are you supposed to place the subwoofer on the floor for best sound?
  • Reply 4 of 26
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    the soundsticks are so much cooler looking. . . the creatures are better quieter and closer though.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by burningwheel:

<strong>i just ordered some creatures. are you supposed to place the subwoofer on the floor for best sound?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It was enginered to run on your desktop.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by xionja:

<strong>the soundsticks are so much cooler looking. . . the creatures are better quieter and closer though.</strong><hr></blockquote>

i'm sick the soundsticks look, so i didn't get them. but that's interesting you say the creatures sound better quiet and up-close. that's the way i'll be using them

• Reply 7 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by serrano:

<strong>

It was enginered to run on your desktop.</strong><hr></blockquote>

cool, i can admire their beauty more now
  • Reply 8 of 26
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I'd get neither. If you're going to spend the money, but other speakers that are actually worth the money. But if it's one or the other, go for the Creatures.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    i've had my creatures for about 6 months, and yeah the sub is engineered to be on your desktop (treble & bass controls are on it) but i moved it under my table with no sound quality deterioration.

i got them because they don't disturb the rest of the house even when they're fairly loud in my office.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I think I'd rather have Klipsh Promedia 2.1 speakers instead of either the Soundsticks or the Creatures. A friend of mine has those and they are very powerful, they're not too big (or too small either) but they really put out a lot of sound, and good quality too. The Soundsticks seem frail and weak in comparison. Get your money's worth! I don't think the Soundsticks are worth $200.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

<strong>I think I'd rather have Klipsh Promedia 2.1 speakers instead of either the Soundsticks or the Creatures. A friend of mine has those and they are very powerful, they're not too big (or too small either) but they really put out a lot of sound, and good quality too. The Soundsticks seem frail and weak in comparison. Get your money's worth! I don't think the Soundsticks are worth $200.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd have to agree with this one. I have the Promedia 4.1, and it's an incredible powerful and clear system. The 2.1 and 4.1 both have mute and a second input, so you could hookup your ipod or cd player at the same time as your computer. The sub blows the iSub out of the water as well, and they look pretty sweet too. If you check the specials on Klipsch's site, you might be able to find a pair of refurbished 4.1s for cheap. That's how I got mine, and for less than the sound sticks.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

<strong>I think I'd rather have Klipsh Promedia 2.1 speakers instead of either the Soundsticks or the Creatures. A friend of mine has those and they are very powerful, they're not too big (or too small either) but they really put out a lot of sound, and good quality too. The Soundsticks seem frail and weak in comparison. Get your money's worth! I don't think the Soundsticks are worth $200.</strong><hr></blockquote>

you can get soundsticks for $150 just about anywhere
  • Reply 13 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>I'd get neither. If you're going to spend the money, but other speakers that are actually worth the money. But if it's one or the other, go for the Creatures.</strong><hr></blockquote>

why not? well these speakers are just for listening to music casually. i use my main stero system for serious listening
  • Reply 14 of 26
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    One consideration to make is that the soundsticks uses a usb port, while the creature uses the audio out port. Not very significant if u have lotsa usb ports to spare, but a point to note nevertheless.

I would go with the soundsticks. Its much cooler looking and it sounds good.
  • Reply 15 of 26

<strong>

why not? well these speakers are just for listening to music casually. i use my main stero system for serious listening </strong><hr></blockquote>

Because for the money you can get better speakers. If you just want the speakers for looks, then go ahead and get the Creatures.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by stunned:

<strong>One consideration to make is that the soundsticks uses a usb port, while the creature uses the audio out port. Not very significant if u have lotsa usb ports to spare, but a point to note nevertheless.

I would go with the soundsticks. Its much cooler looking and it sounds good. </strong><hr></blockquote>

too late,ordered them last week. i used to like the soundsticks but i think i like the creatures better

as i said these are just for casual listening. oh forgot to metnion these were a gift

[ 02-25-2003: Message edited by: burningwheel ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 26
    well i just got the creatures and so far i'm please, they sound great!

one added benefit of having speakers is that the irritating Mac start-up chime is gone!
  • Reply 18 of 26
    I got my Creatures a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't be more pleased. I've bought 5-6 new CDs just because listening to my Mac is so much more enjoyable now.

Plus they look really cool. I don't love the transparent-plastic look of the Soundsticks (kinda 1999). The Creatures have chrome accents and blue LEDs on the bottom that make them look as rich as they sound. You can order them from Amazon now for under $100.
  • Reply 19 of 26

<strong>

one added benefit of having speakers is that the irritating Mac start-up chime is gone! </strong><hr></blockquote>

Why's the startup chime gone?
  • Reply 20 of 26
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

Why's the startup chime gone?</strong><hr></blockquote>

because you can mute the sound independently of the computer's system... that is you can mute it manually, just before you start the computer.